Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Beatles Album - Love

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

listening to this now, tis good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

quarryman wrote:
    listening to this now, tis good.
    I'm really looking forward to it. I thought it wasn't out until tomorrow? I was in town this evening to pick up a few cds but didn't see it.

yup, it ain't out til tomorrow.

i got a "preview copy"...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,931 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yep.. tis very good alright.

I thought all songs were gonna be "mixed" (i used that term loosely) and have a new spin on them but some sound very much the same.. 'Hey Jude' does except it 3 minutes shorter and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' sounds the same except for some crowd noise at the start.

But essentially it's an album i'll definitely have on over Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

I'm normally not one for buying 'beefed up' versions of albums, but I think this *might* be one to buy with the 5:1 surround version as well; I currently don't have a system to play it on, but it's a limited edition, and it's bound to sound good!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 davemc06

I have to get that album tomorrow! I can't wait to listen to it. :)

I'm listening to this atm, 'tis amazing! I might regret not buying the limited edition 5.1 dvd audio but it sounds good enough for the moment on my normal stereo.

Indeed.. the album really accents how amazing of a band they actually were!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Got this yesterday and must say that I'm finding it pretty awesome.

The tunes are obviously ultra-familiar but the whole mash-up is so good. I'm finding parts and fragments I didn't notice before all coming together in a mad kaleidoscope of sound.

I've just stuck on the DVD audio and it's even better.

The mastering is reasonably decent - miles ahead of the shambles that was "1".

The whole experience - a intense, swirling trip. No drugs needed.
    You hear a familiar catalogue of songs from a totally different perspective / context etc.

Like one crazy mixtape.

I think it's worth it.

Turn off your mind, relax
    and float downstream
    It is not dying
    It is not dying

Has to be said though, most of the versions of the songs on this can be found on the anthologies. The unique part is the mixing of each.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I think there's a huge revamping of the sound aswell, the album is fantastic however. Perticularly the genius mixing of 'Mr. Kite' and 'I want you - she's so heavy'.

I got goosebumps!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Surprised by how good this is, the quality is superb and a lot of the mixes very familiar from bootlegs I have this years, very under-rated band, whatever happened to them?

My mint Tesla Model 3 for quick sale

Tesla Model 3 link

Looks like this album wasn't intended for any mp3 type ripping... none of my media players (iTunes, Winamp, WMP etc.) can get any info on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

The sound quality is quite bright but not excessively compressed like "1".

Louder rarely means better.

I still fear for The Beatles catalogue if it gets a full remaster. The existing 1987 CDs are quite good but may be made to look amazing if the eventual overhaul is botched.

Having said that the mastering on the two Capitol Albums box sets is pretty good.

But for me, the best Beatles CD pressings remain the EP Collection and the Red / Blue albums. The CD Singles box is quite good too. All of these are overshadowed by the original 1960s vinyl.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Hey, this isn't bad at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

quite brillianbt tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭mobby

Great album IMHO. The 5.1 DVD Audio version is something else.
    Very clever version of Sun King. Highly recommended. On a side note this is €17.99 (DVD audio Version) delivered on CD-wow, and 23.99 in HMV stores

mobby wrote:
    Great album IMHO. The 5.1 DVD Audio version is something else.
    Very clever version of Sun King. Highly recommended. On a side note this is €17.99 (DVD audio Version) delivered on CD-wow, and 23.99 in HMV stores
    I didn't bother shopping around, just nipped in and out of Tower picking it up for €19.99. The bonus dvd audio one was €29.99. I'm thinking of going back and exchanging it for the later, especially as I hear it's a limited edition.

I think this will also make for a great Christmas pressie... I mean, who doesn't like The Beatles?!

I rarely buy CD's..

.. but i've one or two €5 vouchers for CDWOW which will go quite nicely towards 'Love' (DVD Audio Version).

I only wish they could have squeezed Across the Universe onto this album...

anyway, it got a 5 star review in The Observer last week.

• Advertisement

This album is just sounding better and better on each listen. There's so much i love about this album..

But right now.. the version of 'Strawberry Fields Forever' just gets better and better.. very different, ambitious and fantastic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I think it's more of a re-mastering than a re-interpreting - I was expecting more of a mash-up style album, and it's not really. I love it tho.

Along with Strawberry Fields I'm finding Glass Onion to be one of the best moments on the album, despite being really short. To quote someone else, "it sounds as if they were going on a pun of a "Dicing onion" on this one.. cause this one is cut up in shreds.. and its a wonderful collage".

The album as a whole... a kaleidoscope of musical colours!

If there is such a thing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t5zLV821u0

allmusic review

Everytime I've listened to that song I always ask myself does it get any better than this?

Maybe I just need to wear it out a bit more...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

There is no such thing. But if there was it would probably be Bohemian Rhapsody.

I'm awaiting the "bohemian rhapsody is loike so overated"

OK, kinaldo..

I love them but there's more than enough Beatles threads cluttering this forum.. am merging it with the 'Love' thread! :rolleyes:

basquille wrote:
    OK, kinaldo..

I love them but there's more than enough Beatles threads cluttering this forum.. am merging it with the 'Love' thread! :rolleyes:
    haha ok sorry no more Beatles threads I promise!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,988 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

The Beatles, ya i must check out their album, I heard there supposed to be good.

they were good until Pete Best left - all downhill from there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Boo-yah

Been listening to it and it's great. Just having the songs in such great quality is great regardless of the fact they've been remixed. I would love to have the whole Beatles back catalogue at this quality. Anyways it's hard to fault the best's band of all time's songs but I wish some of the remixes were of the same quality of the Strawberry Fields Forever remix and not just the original version in better quality.

Advertisement