Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election Campaign ads

• 31-10-2006 5:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭

People in the US, are you tired of the mud slinging campaign ads yet? :) Oh and don't forget the amount of Iraqi war programs being shown paid for on behalf of the Republican party.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭Ajos

You should move to a State where there's no real contest. In NYC Hillary is a lock so the nastiest ads are for the position of Comptroller!

I think Hevesi is going to make it despite recent controversy.

How to decide where to live in an election year:
    http://electoral-vote.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

Got a couple of good ones around Philly.

Senator Rick "Dog Marriage" Santorum, of the infamous "if we let a man marry a man then next we will have to let a man marry a dog" speech, is up for re-election and the latest polls show him being booted out.

Raj from "The Apprentice" a few seasons back is running as a Republican on an anti-immigration platform. He has not got the funding for TV ads, but his posters are everywhere and have "Secure the Border Now" across the bottom. He recently did a stunt where he rode an elephant across the Rio Grande, while being followed by a Mariachi Band, to demonstrate how easy it is to come in. It mainly demonstrated that he is a nut-job without a prayer of getting elected. I'd vote for deporting reality-tv has-beens before we worry about the Mexicans.

<Edit>Just spotted some new Raj posters at lunchtime. He now has some with "YOU'RE HIRED!!!" on them. Eh, Raj, isn't that what Trump says to whoever wins The Apprentice, like you did not????</Edit>

Also, my wife's ex-boyfriend is running as a Democrat, though he is having a tough time of it. He's an Iraq war vet running on an anti-war platform, and seems like a pretty smart guy, but he is trying to unseat an incumbent who is much more experienced.

The real mud-slinging seems to be in the NJ campaign ads that get played on Philly stations. The ads for the Tom Kean / Bob Menendez Senate race would each have you convinced that the other dude is Satan. Can't beat those grainy, black and white, slow motion shots...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I have no clue about politics but they are amusing to watch. The only ads I come across are against Judy Barr Topinka "Whats she thinking!?!!?" ones, gave herself a pay rise, yada, yada. :)

Here for a start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

Apparently Raj is now phoning people up with a pre-recorded message from Donald Trump asking them to vote for Raj.

Some of the Republican candidates have got Joe Piscopo and Pat Boone phoning people up - not many celebrity Republicans so they are scraping the bottom of the barrel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

The ads are not so bad but wait until you get on the registrar of voters list. I've had Bill and Hilary Clinton, John McCain and John Kerry call me up in the evenings (robos). In the last week up until the election, we had about 5 phone calls a night telling us to vote for Lieberman/Lamont/Shays etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement