Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone DIY wood pellet stores out there?

Options
  • 31-10-2006 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭

Guys,

In the process of planning a shed to house my wood pellet store and wood pellet boiler.

I reckon it would be best to use half of the shed and build a custom pellet store into it.

Has anyone done anything similar ? How big do I need to build it to store 4/5 tonnes?

I looked on balcas's website and althou there are some sample diy ones, there arent any dimensions..

Anyone got any info/photos etc?

Cheers
    Jayoo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 King sound

Howya, I just built a silo in my shed for pellets using blocks . I used the bottom of the hopper as a base and built slopes using some of the hopper sides along with timber. The silo has to be six square meters to accomodate 3 and a half tnns.Angles of around 45 deg. in order to ensure pellets slide down to the auger. I havent had it working yet as I need to reset the flue through the roof yet.
    King Sound

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭lastbuilders

I built my own from blocks with plywood around walls and on ceiling and slope on floor of about 40 degrees. I dilled a 5 inch hole in the wall of the shed and put the required 4" camlock connection through there and put an outlet vent in another walll for dust to get out during filling. I then set my existing auger feeding through the wall into one corner. It has been working for the last 3 weeks. One problem I had was that I got too many pellets delivered. i thought I would have enough space for 4 tonne and had to take the roof off the store to get them all in (a very dusty job). The dimensions of the store are 3.5m x 1.6m x 1.7m LxWxH.

Lastbuilders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Chimpster

Good advice there lads.

The general rule of thumb is that you need about 1.5 metres cubed for every tonne of pellets you need to store. As minimum delivery is 3 tonne is prob a good idea to build you pellet store to hold around 4 tonne. A general guide line is an area of 2 x 2 x 2 (HWL) this should hold 4 tonne of pellets and will allow you room to slope the insides comforably so that all the pellets fall to one common area. Your augur should sit into this area.

Also leave access for yourself to get into the pellet store if needed. Dryline the inside of it with timber, if you have spare insulation lying around you could line the walls between the timber and the blocks with this. Not essential but an improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭towbar

lastbuilders - what did you use for roof? Did you insulate walls or is it indoors? Do you notice any condensation inside?

Advertisement