Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comreg to shut down old Smart Voice (not the €35 all in) customers on Thursday

Options
  • 31-10-2006 11:38am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/news.nv?storyid=single7269

Comreg have announced they are shutting down the vestiges of the old Smart Voice service on thursday.
    The Commission for Communications Regulation (ComReg) has issued a notice to Smart Telecom’s voice-only telephony customers of the “urgent need” to change service provider in order to avoid a loss of service. Despite a consumer information campaign that has been under way since the beginning of the month, ComReg said today it was concerned that 13,000 of Smart Telecom’s voice-only customers have not made arrangements to get their service from another provider. Smart broadband customers are not affected by these developments, the regulator added.

Surely they will be left with emergency only access from thursday but thats not clear like everything else Comreg does :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Curious.....the original "interim arrangement" was until October 6th, and then they extended it....

....to two days after the court hearing for the 3G licence.......!

Anyway, if 13,000 subscribers have not changed, it's partially ComReg's fault for (initially at least) helping eircom to cause confusion over who needed to change and who didn't.

I only hope that if the media pick up on this that they don't make the same mistake they originally did....the last bit really, really needs to be highlighted:

Smart broadband customers are not affected by these developments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭infomat

Sponge Bob wrote:
    http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/news.nv?storyid=single7269

Comreg have announced they are shutting down the vestiges of the old Smart Voice service on thursday.

Surely they will be left with emergency only access from thursday but thats not clear like everything else Comreg does :(

I have applied three times to have my lines switched back to Eircom (the first time was about 6 weeks before the current problem arose). I received letters from Eircom indicating that my lines were to be switched ... my lines have not been switched. On Sunday I received a phone call from ComReg to inform me that I will lose my lines on Thursday. I contacted Eircom and they cannot offer any explanation as to why I am still listed as being a SMART customer.

My major problem is that my Broadband account is with eircom and has always been with them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

if you line rental is with eircom then you can still make calls if you prefix the number with 13666 , (eg 13666017654321 ) eircom never noticed the 'irony' of their cps code :p

if your line rental is not with eircom you will be fully disconnected in an hour or so BB and all, dial 19800 while you can and tell us what it says .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Sponge Bob wrote:

I received a letter from ComReg yesterday saying that ALL service will cease on the line if I don't switch over to an alternate provider. No emergancy calls, nothing. Doesn't really bother me as I don't want the line anymore. We have a few mobile phones in the house and VoIP through Chorus now. Happy days. No more Eircom for ANYTHING.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

i have been trying to switch over to eircom but their "systems" have been down :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement