Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions League Matchday 4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

RTÉ lads laying the blame entirely on Mourinho for this being a scrappy match. It was all Chelsea diving apparently.

:eek: Hed never tell his teams to dive would he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Anam

RTÉ lads laying the blame entirely on Mourinho for this being a scrappy match. It was all Chelsea diving apparently.
    Yeah they were talking such rubbish,Dunphy was trying to somehow blame Chelsea for Rijkaards antics at the end.Ridiculous

Have to say,just looking back over Drogbas goal,it was great control the way he took it down,it was a pity he was back to his usual diving/moaning at the ref antics though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

i dare chelsea as a club to just shut up and play football

Good touch by the Sofia keeper for Bremens first goal.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭futuredeath

arguably the two best teams in europe have shown themselves to be the 2 worst for sportsmanship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

good to see murinho get the bashing he deserves from the RTE panel.

sliding to the floor punching the air in front of home fans with both hands is not very sporting - especially when your the manager.

shades of Old Trafford there when i first put murinho on my black list.

lol at dumphy, 'UEFA should send him to the stands for 6 months' :D

on the pitch, chelsea probably deserved a draw in fairness. Ronaldinho did nothing for most of the match, then BANG, BANG, BANG.. three touches of magic and he carves open Chelsea's defence. Stunning 2nd goal from barca.

would have been nice to see gudjohnson get the winner however it was not to be.

i thought u were going to say shades of old trafford when fergie and brian kidd ran onto the pitch doing the same thing when in the 6th or so minute of extra time when steve bruce scored the goal that won united the league :x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

I fûcking hate Chelsea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Neither Chelsea or Barca desrves to win the CL after that display of cheating tonite. And that muppet Mourinho aswell deserves a good smack across the face.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭sc317

Eh, Mourinho celebrated an important goal guaranteeing qualification for his team, he didn't leave the 'technical area' in doing so and was facing towards the action, didnt turn around to the the fans at all, the players applauded their own travelling supporters, for the life of me I don't know where Dunphy et al are getting their 'goading the crowd' business from. Of course no mention of the Barca supporters spitting on the Chelsea players just after the goal. With Rijkaard in charge and Eto'o's antics against Athletic last season, something that runs in that club perhaps?

Sorry, the temerity to call them a club, they are of course 'more than a club' and symbolise everything that is great and good about football. It was just evil old Chelsea and that pup Mourinho dragging them down to their level, that explains the diving, the stamping on Essien, the spitting, and Rijkaard making a beeline toward the referee for a confrontation at the final whistle:cool:

Mourinho's post match comments:
    'I think it is not easy for a referee to be a referee when the players are minute after minute diving,' said Mourinho.

'I think Frank Rijkaard (Barca coach) is a lucky guy because Barcelona is Barcelona. The stars he has and the way they are protected match after match I think he is a lucky manager and I would like to be in his position.

'And for me it looked like two penalties for us.'
    Pathetic.

sc317 wrote:
    Eh, Mourinho celebrated an important goal guaranteeing qualification for his team, he didn't leave the 'technical area' in doing so and was facing towards the action, didnt turn around to the the fans at all, the players applauded their own travelling supporters, for the life of me I don't know where Dunphy et al are getting their 'goading the crowd' business from.QUOTE]

They havent qualified yet.

The lads in the studio didnt say anything about goading the crowd. They just think he is a prat with no class. Dunphy said you would never have seen Shankly or Busby or Nicholson acting like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Mad Dog

sc317 wrote:

and Rijkaard making a beeline toward the referee for a confrontation at the final whistle:cool:

Probably bulling because ref had his door closed at half-time :D

And to all you Chelsea haters :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D :cool: :cool: :cool:

Zipty Doo Daa ! ! ! ! ! !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Yeah CHELSEA ALL THE WAY!! The look of disdain on Brady's face when asked would he'd think would win the Champions League, between Barcelona and Chelsea, I'd say Chelsea. :grumpy face: Haha! Eat it Brady!

The way the panel were going on, you'd think Chelsea were the only dirty team there. Plenty of diving from Barcelona, who instigated the whole european atmosphere of diving in the first place (ie spanish/italian football). Does everyone forget about it ridiculous sendings off against Chelsea in previous matches? Chelsea deserved something from the match and boy did Mourinho celebrate :D:D:D

The lads in the studio didnt say anything about goading the crowd. They just think he is a prat with no class. Dunphy said you would never have seen Shankly or Busby or Nicholson acting like that.

Dunphy did. The others didn't disagree.

You probably wouldn't have seen them behaving like Rijkaard did with the ref either, or getting engaged in a spitting match in their playing career..

Frank Rijkaard, man of principles and class :cool:

• Advertisement

theres a difference between hating chelsea and simply thinking jose is a spa

not that i'd call jose a spa on boards, but lets just say i dont hate chelsea

Mad Dog wrote:

And to all you Chelsea haters :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D :cool: :cool: :cool:

Zipty Doo Daa ! ! ! ! ! !
    You seem to like the fact that most people hate your club. Good for you I guess, but would u not prefer to be universally popular like, say, Barcelona?

el rabitos wrote:
    i thought u were going to say shades of old trafford when fergie and brian kidd ran onto the pitch doing the same thing when in the 6th or so minute of extra time when steve bruce scored the goal that won united the league :x

bit of a difference between winning the league and winning a normal match.

you're expected to celebrate if you win a trophy/cup, but if there's nothing only 3 points at stake, there's no need to rub it in the oppositions faces. Incredibly, they only drew which makes the celebrations even more pathetic. (granted they're pretty much through, but still, it's OTT, it's not like they're through to the final).

He brings a nasty edge to games like this, it's not competitive talk or fiery exchanges like Fergie-V-Wenger, it's malicious and totally unprovoked attacks on opposition players and teams.

it's not healthy, unlike arsenal -v- utd, there was real hatred there tonight. Just look at riikard after the match confronting the ref or the numerous stamps and kicks that went unpunished.

Murinho is a classic example of a 'win at all costs manager'. He doesn't care if the opposition is a special olympics team or barcelona, he'll send out a side pumped up to the degree where they sometimes look like they are on drugs (you know, the maradona eyes john terry gives at times) and use the media to create cold wars with the opposition.

You seem to like the fact that most people hate your club. Good for you I guess, but would u not prefer to be universally popular like, say, Barcelona?

No

el rabitos wrote:
    theres a difference between hating chelsea and simply thinking jose is a spa

not that i'd call jose a spa on boards, but lets just say i dont hate chelsea

Ditto.

I havent liked the man or the way he gets his teams to "play" ever since the UEFA cup final against Celtic. Dived their way to that win and olympic gold medal winner that night was deco.

• Advertisement

not malicious like fergie suggesting teams try harder against man utd than against newcastle....thus making poor keegan lose the plot (similarly some might say to rijkaard) and say "i would love it if we beat them, love it"

i'm not trying to cause a fuss, i just think man utd fans that were loving the fergie mind games in the 90's have no business moaning about jose.

i like characters in football, but i'm more a fan of shut up and play. managers that talk too much are either worried or not confident

I have no problem with mind games but sending a team out happy in the knowledge that they will cheat to win a game is not good enough. Mind games are one thing but openly lying and accusing others of falsities is way out of order.

Fergie never suggested a player turned into a diver after he left United. Fergie never goaded away fans in a cup final by gesturing to them to shut up. Fergie never accused a player of intentionally trying to hurt another player when the rest of the world saw ot was an accident. Fergie never accused a club of being negligent in their handling of an injured player when it was quite clear they were not.

bucks73 wrote:

Dived their way to that win and olympic gold medal winner that night was deco.

Did the 3 goals dive in the goal by themselves on the night, get over yourself and move on....Best team by far won that night and did they not then win the CL the following season:confused: I suppose they dived to that too :confused::confused:

yeah, i think the spirit of the game was ruined before a ball was even kicked

Mad Dog wrote:
    Did the 3 goals dive in the goal by themselves on the night, get over yourself and move on....Best team by far won that night and did they not then win the CL the following season:confused: I suppose they dived to that too :confused::confused:

Actually they should have been out at Old Trafford only for a poor linemans decision.

el rabitos wrote:
    not malicious like fergie suggesting teams try harder against man utd than against newcastle....thus making poor keegan lose the plot (similarly some might say to rijkaard) and say "i would love it if we beat them, love it"

i'm not trying to cause a fuss, i just think man utd fans that were loving the fergie mind games in the 90's have no business moaning about jose.

i like characters in football, but i'm more a fan of shut up and play. managers that talk too much are either worried or not confident

i've no problem with mind game managers, i like the wengers and the keegans of soccer. It shows they're passionate and willing to defend their club at any time.

However murinho takes it a step too far. He's a young Alex Ferguson gone wrong. You have to question whether he's in football for the love of the game or for the attention it gets him.

bucks73 wrote:

Actually they should have been out at Old Trafford only for a poor linemans decision.

And if Arsenal hadn't lost in the final last season they would have won it :eek: :eek:

Mad Dog wrote:
    And if Arsenal hadn't lost in the final last season they would have won it :eek: :eek:

Very true.

bucks73 wrote:
    And Bayern should of won that final 3-0. C'est la vie.

What Final :confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement

And what final would that be now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Great game, gerat result, great atmosphere and when Stevie came over to celebrate at us, superb. Shame Robbie did not get one, got on a couple of good positions but should have crossed one for Kuyt instead of trying that odd lob thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Darando

They just think he is a prat with no class. Dunphy said you would never have seen Shankly or Busby or Nicholson acting like that.

That was Giles - he is still living in that era, times have moved on Johnny, Shankly et al was a different era, and things were very different back then.

Its one thing bout Jose, you can see Giles and Dunphy letting him get under their skin. Dunphy is usually decent but wanting Jose banned from Champions league? Cmon Eamonn get real.

Also Jose did that type of celebratign before versus United when he ran down teh line pumping his arms with delight, so nothing new there, just his emotions about an important goal in an important match.

1999 I imagine, thought it was pretty obvious. :confused:

I think he was making a point about all the whatiffery.

He doesn't want Jose taken out, he wants UEFA to remove Chelsea from the Champions League or else put Jose in the stand for 6 months... Brady seemed somewhat reluctantly resigned to the fact that UEFA weren't going to do this

Mad Dog wrote:
    What Final :confused::confused::confused::confused:
    Yeah the 99 Champions League Final.

I bet nothing will be done with Marquez's appalling behaviour too, stamping on Essien. And Drogba, yes he's known for diving, but when you get kicked in the head and slapped in the face, I think you have a right to moan a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

:D chelsea could have won that gane 5-0 without problems, whatever diving chelsea did (arsenal, pool and man u fans :get off your imaginary high horses) barca matched them, Marquez should have gone which would have turned the game, maka deserved a penalty, Lampards penalty appeal looked very suspect, carvalho seems to have been watching Kick Ass Moves or something, A. Cole defending looks troubled...etc. etc. but we still came back twice at the nou camp :-)

The game was always going to be contoversial, mourinho's mind games are all part of the entertainment solution that has almost replaced the sport.

Shame to see Eidur off like that though.

Yeah looked like a nasty injury.

I couldn't help noticing that he got a better reception from the home fans when he was subbed at Stamford Bridge than he did from the denizens of the Catalan football cathedral tonight, when he went off with a threatening injury after putting them ahead. Incidentally, as soon as play resumed after his exit there was a deafening chorus of boos for Chelsea

sc317 wrote:
    I couldn't help noticing that he got a better reception from the home fans when he was subbed at Stamford Bridge than he did from the denizens of the Catalan football cathedral tonight, when he went off with a threatening injury after putting them ahead. Incidentally, as soon as play resumed after his exit there was a deafening chorus of boos for Chelsea
    You can't properly gauge the atmosphere inside the stadium from your sofa. The crowd mic is often turned down by the commentators. Anyhow, he got a decent enough reception from what I saw. I hope you're not suggesting Chelsea's supporters are greater than Barca's...

• Advertisement

You can't properly gauge the atmosphere inside the stadium from your sofa. The crowd mic is often turned down by the commentators. Anyhow, he got a decent enough reception from what I saw.

Not properly no, but to an extent.

It's just an observation, unless they dramatically increased the mic volume between the exit of Gudjonsen and the resumption of play. Also, the camera flashed around the stands and only the odd person was applauding whereas at the Bridge he got a standing ovation from the Chelsea supporters.
    I hope you're not suggesting Chelsea's supporters are greater than Barca's...

Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Great game, gerat result, great atmosphere and when Stevie came over to celebrate at us, superb. Shame Robbie did not get one, got on a couple of good positions but should have crossed one for Kuyt instead of trying that odd lob thing.

Have to say, Robbie is looking really sharp lately. Got on the end of 3 decent chances tomight and is positioning himself really well. For Sissokos shot that was touched over and for Gerrards shot that was spilled and sami headed over, both times Robbie was the player running in for any loose balls. Thats the kind of poacher its alway great to have. Theres no reason for him not to play in the last two group games. I think he deserves a few games up front with maybe Kuyt.

Hopefully the floodgates will open for stevie now aswell. He's been snatching at any hitable shot in a desperate bid to score all season, he can relax now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

growler wrote:
    ...... maka deserved a penalty,

Are you serious, maka no more deserved a penalty than I did when I fell over jumping off my seat in the kop for the Garcia goal, in fact I had a better shout because somebody actually made some contact with me on the way over.

Believe it or believe it not, just because Jose reckons that Maka should have had a penalty does not mean that anybody else in the world (including makelele) really thinks that he should have had one, it was a dive plain and simple.

kinaldo wrote:
    I hope you're not suggesting Chelsea's supporters are greater than Barca's...
    sc317 wrote:
    Why?
    ...because that would be a ludicrous suggestion. I'm Madrid biased but still wouldn't deny that nothing can quite match the passion and support of the Catalans. Maybe not always inside the stadium (although their home crowd is usually intimidating enough to make up for a 12th man), but in general.

...because that would be a ludicrous suggestion. I'm Madrid biased but still wouldn't deny that nothing can quite match the passion and support of the Catalans. Maybe not always inside the stadium (although their home crowd is usually intimidating enough to make up for a 12th man), but in general.

What like the recent trend of rioting on La Rambla any time they win anyting?

Higher proportion of middle class, clueless, don't give a **** about the football punters at the Camp Nou than most other grounds in Spain or England I would dare suggest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

That was a nice win by Liverpool this evening, and a confidence booster. Especially for Gerrard who got on the scoresheet, and Garcia, who continues to give the ball away cheaply but played well on the left at times and was at the business end and got a couple. Kuyt perhaps could have done better, and we knoe the frailities we have in defence, with Reina looking dodgy at times again, and Hyppia being turned a couple of time. Gerrard also missed a couple of chances and is below his best, but overall Bordeaux didn't threaten too much, although they did come into the game at the start of the 2nd half. All in all a good night. The next match v PSV may determine if we top the group, which is important.

There has been too much mileage made about the 'rotation' system. Even a Director of 21 years resigned over it today. What is important is not how many times the starting 11 has changed, but what system/formation is deployed and the no. of players that are in fact the same, which is usually the majority. Also, given the fact that Liverpool do not have two world cup players per position, the team is always in compromise, especially when it comes to where to play Gerrard. Given the frequency of games, is it any surprise that at least one change is made between matches 3 or 4 days apart? Its not as if Liverpool have a squad of 22 that are changing week in and week out.

As for the Barcelona v Chelsea match, this game is a grudge match, as it is a clash of giants and styles. After both matches, Chelsea have the advantage and a lot of that has to be put down to their grit and physicality such as of Terry and Drogba. Barcelona are poor defensively though and lost the plot at the end tonight. A very good result for Chelsea away from home and they will be expecting to top the group now.

The match is also a clash of money, on the one hand gained 'illicitly', allegedly, which is bankrolling Chelsea versus the people-funded Barca, the symbol of the 'nation' of Catalan. For Mourinho, its his old employers so he loses the plot when playing them completely.

Its also a clash of the current champions and the champions-elect, or at least thats what Chelsea would like to be and clearly Abramovich would. Like the battering ram of Drogba, Chelsea want to huff and puff and batter their way to the CL trophy, whether this year or next or the year after but Abramovich's limitless tap of money will keep flowing until its achieved, or at least that seems to be his current plan. Given that his wealth has increased more over the last few years by much more than the amount he has wasted in Chelsea, means his game of bling continues.

I for one, will be hoping that Chelsea do not win the CL this year and indeed every year while they are being bankrolled in this current manner. That makes me an ABC.

el rabitos wrote:

I agree. The media 'spin' this type of stuff as it sells and the 'dumb' market (as in us) lap it up. Tabloids, TV pundits, etc, dish it out. For me, I couldnt care less what Mourinho talks aout once he is off the football topic, and I mean the real football topic here. It is laughable to watch what Giles and Dunphy and Brady come out with. When will the viewer realise that these guys, are just pub stool pundits like ourselves, no better nor no worse. They say some things that are correct, but have they the track record of doing it at the top level in terms of management, and the simple answer is No. None of them have. If Capello or whoever you pick is ranked at the level of a Ph.D in management, then these guys are barely Leaving Cert students, and thats Giles and Brady. Dunphy is still in primary school !

Redspider

• Advertisement

sc317 wrote:
    What like the recent trend of rioting on La Rambla any time they win anyting?
    Well by that logic we could say all Spanish football fans are racist.

sc317 wrote:
    Higher proportion of middle class, clueless, don't give a **** about the football punters at the Camp Nou than most other grounds in Spain or England I would dare suggest.
    More middle class than Chelsea?! Hmmm...

Indeed. You started the 'Catalans in general' thing so move on to Spain in general if you like.

I trust you include Barcelona, as previous treatment of Drogba and Roberto Carlos would suggest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

the old "my fans are better than your fans argument". every club has it's share of hardcore nutters, prawn sandwich munchers and everything in between.

More middle class than Chelsea?! Hmmm...

Yes, the middle class hijacking of English football notwithstanding.

Not like the average Chelsea fan is from Sloane Square :cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement