Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions League Matchday 4

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭sc317

the old "my fans are better than your fans argument". every club has it's share of hardcore nutters, prawn sandwich munchers and everything in between.

Agreed, its just the whole worshipping of Barcelona as unique as the people's club and the More than a Club bullsh1t leading to the notion that they are beyond reproach is a bit sickening at times and flies in the face of the facts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

sc317 wrote:
    Indeed. You started the 'Catalans in general' thing so move on to Spain in general if you like.

I trust you include Barcelona, as previous treatment of Drogba and Roberto Carlos would suggest?
    So according to you, Catalans in general are a bunch of racist hooligans?

Yes. That's exactly what I was trying to say, you have just summed my entire argument, hit the nail on the head. Very observant :cool:*

*hint of sarcasm may apply

sc317 wrote:
    Yes. That's exactly what I was trying to say, you have just summed my entire argument, hit the nail on the head. Very observant :cool:*

*hint of sarcasm may apply
    I say Barca supporters and Catalans in general are great, you say no and cite minority group rioting incidents as to why. I say all Spanish football fans must be racist by that logic and you say indeed, and mention Roberto Carlos and Drogba incidents. Sorry I didn't see through your great sarcasm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I thought the site of Deco going down injured as if he was shot only to be back up in a flash as soon as Terry kicked the ball at him was quite humourous.

Maybe the days of the magic sponge are over? Now all you hve to do is to kick the ball at the "injured" player and watch how they miraculously heal right in front of your eyes!

Modern day footballers??? Big sissy's the lot of them!!!

Going by your (il)logic of sweeping generalisations about 'catalans' in general, one could indeed make the similarly incorrrect and misguided generalisation about Spanish fans that you mentioned.
    Seen as you were in the habit of making sweeping generalisations, I even offered you a bit of annecdotal evidence to back up the later, with specific reference to FCB, although, to be honest, I trust it was in jest and you don't actually believe that all Spanish fans are racist.

sc317 wrote:
    Going by your (il)logic of sweeping generalisations about 'catalans' in general, one could indeed make the similarly incorrrect and misguided generalisation about Spanish fans that you mentioned.
    Seen as you were in the habit of making sweeping generalisations, I even offered you a bit of annecdotal evidence to back up the later, with specific reference to FCB, although, to be honest, I trust it was in jest and you don't actually believe that all Spanish fans are racist.
    I think we've got our wires crossed here. The only generalisation I made was that Barca have great passionate supporters, and I think most would agree the vast majority of them are. Obviously not you though, and you seemed to be holding minority rioting incidents against the rest of them. By which logic I implied u might hold minority acts of racism at Spanish football grounds against the majority of the non-racist Spanish fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

BaZmO* wrote:
    I thought the site of Deco going down injured as if he was shot only to be back up in a flash as soon as Terry kicked the ball at him was quite humourous.

Maybe the days of the magic sponge are over? Now all you hve to do is to kick the ball at the "injured" player and watch how they miraculously heal right in front of your eyes!

Modern day footballers??? Big sissy's the lot of them!!!

It's a miracle!

The only generalisation I made was that Barca have great passionate supporters, and I think most would agree the vast majority of them are. Obviously not you though

No, obviously not me.
    Most people probably would agree with you yes. Sadly.

you seem to be holding minority rioting incidents against the rest of them.

No, my original point was about the comparative reception Gudjohnsen got from Chelsea fans and Barcelona fans.

You then got terribly offended at the hint of the ''ludicrous'' suggestion that there may be fans comparable to Barcelona's (or was it Catalans in general?) in terms of colour and passion etc blah blah blah. The aforementioned spitting, ''minority rioting incidents'' and the racist abuse would also be other factors that would leave me to believe that a lot of the exaggeration, generalisation, romanticism and hype that surrounds Barcelona and their supporters is a load of crap.

Greatly offended yes, and I wish you would post here more often.

• Advertisement

Anyone reckon Chelsea will softplay Werder Bremen in the next game so to speak to try and get rid of Barca?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

god,so happy the chelsea game ended in a 2-2 draw,am a lot richer tonight:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Only in the football forum can we take a discussion about an injured player and turn it into an entire country is facist argument! Come on lads, your bigger than that.

The game itself I thought was very disappointing. To the point where I actually done some ironing during it! There were patchs were both team showed their real class and potential. Some great moments of attacking play. I thought Chelsea had the better chances are perhaps on that alone should have won the game. The Robben miss springs to mind.

Apart from that I was very disappointed in both teams. It was like watching 22 kids on a pitch. Very hand bags and I don't think either Barca nor Chelsea done themselves any favours there. For all his great play Drogba will only be remembered in this game for his downfalls. As to will Deco. A dire stamp on Essien from Marquez was the ultimate low point in the game.

Penalties for Chelsea? Not for me personally. I haven't seen a good angle of the Lampard one but it didn't look to be much in it so I would have to say no. Claude Mak in fairness to him he was taken down all be it he fell a little theatrically, he was still put down. That said when you look at it again it was actually outside the box so if anything it was a free kick.

I'm not going to get into the whole Rijkard and Mourinho argument because to me both men have reason to be ashamed. As for the panel on RTE would you give me a break. Id say many a Chelsea hater were loving the comments. Giles really needs to stop living in the 70's and understand that football has moved on. Always we hear his arguments and they usually revolve around: "in my day bill" or "the great, billy bremner and don revie"... John football is not the same beast it was back then. It has changed, mutated and evolved beyond anything you were involved in. You may not like what it has become but you could at least accept it. Brady, well we know he can't stand Chelsea anyway and he was only too happy to see them loose and looked pretty gutted they got the draw. Dunphy, well he is Dunphy isn't he. Take him with a crate of salt on any given day!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭SCULLY

Most enjoyable part of the match (apart from Drogbas goal:D ) was seeing how gutted Brady was at Cheslea getting the draw.
    Exciting and tense game but both teams will know that they were guilty of diving and play acting. Chelsea deserved the draw with the amount of chances they had though Barca showed glimpses of brilliance (eidurs goal was excellent in build up and it was sad to see him stretchered off).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Jimboo_Jones

have to say I loved the chealsa's managers reaction to the goal :D

It made us all chuckle in the house when he did that, I think people who are slating him it need to take a deep breath and just chill for a while.

I only watched the second half and I thought it was agreat match, though there was too many cards show and too much diving etc it still made for a good half, and it was strange that most of the goal scorers where people who have been slated resently for their poor performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Deserved draw for Chelsea. The RTE panelists are pathetic, you'd swear the Chelsea players were the only ones diving out there. I'd also like to see their (or some people heres) reaction if it were Mourinho who confronted the ref at full-time, I'm sure there'd be a few threads on it already.

I wouldn't say Marquez stamped intentionally on Essien. To be fair I don't think an overhead kick was the most sensible way to clear that ball and in such a high tempo game I think Marquez would have found it hard to get out of the way with Essien's crotch flying at him head height!

Anways I'm a happy man because I'm taking €50 home on Chelsea for the draw, and had Liverpool for the 3-0 win at 8/1. Going somewhere nice for lunch today :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,327 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Caldwell presses the self destruct button tonight. Celtic 2 down, Caldwell OG and lets a big punt run through to the Benfica player. Idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i dont think Arsenal are meant to win

how many chances have they missed in the first half :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

man utd 1 down

• Advertisement

Celtic 3 down, dreadful performance so far. To make matters worse, Man United go a goal down. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

A terrible night of European football for the casueal viewer like myself. Keep flicking between the United and Celtic games and can't decide which is the lesser of two evils.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

kaka is on fire tonight, hat-trick for him, milan 3-1 up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Arsenal draw

most one sided 0-0 of all time imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

What an horrendous miss by Rosicky in the first half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Xavi6 wrote:
    What an horrendous miss by Rosicky in the first half.

You mean the backpass !!!

Jaysus how did they not score :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Celtic were shocking tonite! Very disappointed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Mad Dog

Gillie wrote:
    Celtic were shocking tonite! Very disappointed!

Delighted to see this result as it shows how poor the other teams are in Scotland :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

United were awful tonight. Im hearing complaints about the team selection but there was more than enough on the pitch tonight to beat Copenhagen. Too many of the United players were waiting for someone else to turn it on. Nobody took charge their tonight. Instead of coasting the final two games we are now in something of a battle with an away game to Celtic.

Mad Dog wrote:
    Delighted to see this result as it shows how poor the other teams are in Scotland :D:D:D:D

What did it show when the reverse result happened?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Wasn't too upbeat tonight, made worse when I saw the team. Carrick, Fletcher and O' Shea is such a flat midfield. But still, as pointed out above, there was enough there to beat a poor Copenhagen side.
    With Celtic losing tonight as well it probably makes the trip to Celtic Park an important one, which we could do without.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

united were cack tonight, if fergie wanted to give players some game time he should have started strong then taken off players as need be

Ole off with hamstring, thats him out for a month!

But i agree there was enough there to beat copenhagen, no one took the game by the scruff of the neck...

Strange how all 9 British clubs (Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man Utd, Celtic, Rangers, Spurs, Newcastle and Blackburn) triumphed quite convincinly in the last round of European games, but so far in the reverse CL ties they've all struggled badly apart from Liverpool. Will be interesting to see how Newcastle and the rest fair in the Uefa Cup.

Edit: Arsenal exception, forgot they lost (robbed).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

kinaldo wrote:
    Strange how all 9 British clubs (Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man Utd, Celtic, Rangers, Spurs, Newcastle and Blackburn) triumphed quite convincinly in the last round of European games, but so far in the reverse CL ties they've all struggled badly apart from Liverpool. Will be interesting to see how Newcastle and the rest fair in the Uefa Cup.

Edit: Arsenal exception, forgot they lost (robbed).

Yeah Chelsea really struggled against a Barca team that they should have beaten!

On last night the Milan game was class. Kaka was just red hot and his 3rd goal was a fitting way to round off the hat-trick. Even Gilla's goal at the end was superb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Mossy Monk wrote:
    Arsenal draw

most one sided 0-0 of all time imo

I wonder will Wenger blame the other team for not winning again !!!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Amazingly, Celtic and Benfica have met 4 times with the home team winning 3-0 on each occasion. I was hoping Celtic could grab one as it may come down to head to head between them and Benfica.

Man Utd play Chelsea the weekend after the Celtic game so hopefully they have one eye on that. I'll be suprised if Celtic don't get at least a draw.

iregk wrote:
    Yeah Chelsea really struggled against a Barca team that they should have beaten!
    Whatever, they were on the brink of defeat and needed an injury time goal to get their draw. At no stage in the game did they ever look like winning.

Advertisement