Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

timer for gas boiler not working correctly

Options
  • 31-10-2006 12:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

The timer on our gas boiler was not working while on timer. The clock was not turning so if you put the heating on timer for an hour it would stay on constantly as the time never changed.
    We replaced the timer over the weekend with a new unit but it is still not working correctly. If you put the heating on timer the clock will move will the heating is on but when the timed interval is up and the heating is off the clock will not move anymore. This effectively means that we cannot use the timer. I am wondering if some internal wiring behid the box has gone haywire? Also there is a power light on the new timer unit that is always lit...is this correct? Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Dec McC

Sounds like the power supply coming into the timer and the power supply going out of your timer to the bolier might be mixed up.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Well the light is there to give a clear indication to you that the heating is on or off, so I would presume if its on regardless of the timer being on or off, then the wiring is wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

A rotary timer I assume. Either way, if the wiring wasn't backwards before (i.e. the old clock was wired correctly, but defective) it certainly is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Ollie11 wrote:
    The timer on our gas boiler was not working while on timer. The clock was not turning so if you put the heating on timer for an hour it would stay on constantly as the time never changed.
    We replaced the timer over the weekend with a new unit but it is still not working correctly. If you put the heating on timer the clock will move will the heating is on but when the timed interval is up and the heating is off the clock will not move anymore. This effectively means that we cannot use the timer. I am wondering if some internal wiring behid the box has gone haywire? Also there is a power light on the new timer unit that is always lit...is this correct? Any suggestions greatly appreciated!
    From what you say, you have the live connected to the "out" instead of the "in" connection. The clock is connected to the "in" connection, so the clock only works when the heat is on.
    Because the live is connected to the "out" connection, the light stays on all the time, instead of just when the heating is on.
    Jim.

Advertisement