Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best QB in NFL

• 31-10-2006 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I watched the game on sunday between Colts and Broncos and i have to say i think Peyton Manning is the best QB in the NFL at the moment however i also think Tom Brady is having a superb season and could be the man to stop the Colts going 16 and 0 this season. What does everybody else think.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

spud06 wrote:
    Hi Guys,

I watched the game on sunday between Colts and Broncos and i have to say i think Peyton Manning is the best QB in the NFL at the moment however i also think Tom Brady is having a superb season and could be the man to stop the Colts going 16 and 0 this season. What does everybody else think.
    The main criticism about Manning seems to be that he lacks mental strength. I began to wonder about this last year when the Colts seemed to change their normal game plan in the playoffs, opting for shorter passing routes in the Steelers match until the game was pretty much decided. Then they went long and nearly came back from the dead. However, he has bottled it on a couple of occasions I think - most notably against New England a couple of years ago - so if I was to pick a QB I'd pick Brady, even though Manning is probably more talented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Brady definitly. Hes got the rings to prove it. Unless manning wins a superbowl he will go down as a choker.

When you want to rack up points against **** teams, manning is great, when you want to win a superbowl its brady.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭spud06

Brady definitly. Hes got the rings to prove it. Unless manning wins a superbowl he will go down as a choker.

This could be the year Manning does win it. Although i still fancy The Bears

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭Manny7

spud06 wrote:

This could be the year Manning does win it.

Why? He does this every year - I read somewhere that the Colts have become the first team since 1931 to have two consecutive 7-0 starts to a season. Brady has three Superbowl rings and two Superbowl MVPs. Manning's never even been to a Superbowl. While Manning's out there bitching about his kicker or offensive line or anyone else he can blame instead of himself, Brady simply wins.

Of course I may be taken down a peg or two next Sunday, going to be some game.

Going by recent years manny you will be taken down a peg or two, but then manning gets taken down even further in the playoffs.

Still should bea great game, i take its on sky sports xtra and not interactive?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭free2fly

Brady wins. That's a fact. He worked with his trainer during the off-season on his accuracy. His passing last night was great. And how many QBs would be able to adjust to losing their favorite receivers every year and still come back and win? How many receivers did he complete passes to last night? 7? The Pat's walked all over the Vikings in spite of all the talk about their defense. Take away the running game and let Brady pass? What kind of strategy is that?? Sunday is going to be a tough game, but the Pat's are at home and they are nearly impossible to beat in Foxboro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Doesn't appear to be on Sky Sports Xtra! :rolleyes:
    Sun Nov 5 Dallas Cowboys @ Washington Redskins
    Denver Broncos @ Pittsburgh Steelers SSX, 6pm
    Sun Nov 5 Cincinnati Bengals @ Baltimore Ravens
    Minnesota Vikings @ San Francisco 49ers SSX*, 6pm
    http://www.skysports.com/skysports/article/0,,0-1025663,00.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Danger_Dave

Brady at the mo , is prob the best, with manning coming up behind but we got the dark horse guys in M. Vick last 2 games hes started throwing the football and not just out of bounds :) , so he could be up for it this year

Brady at the mo , is prob the best, with manning coming up behind but we got the dark horse guys in M. Vick last 2 games hes started throwing the football and not just out of bounds :) , so he could be up for it this year

I think Michael Vick is over-rated to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭tab126

Absolutely over-rated. He was better before he broke his leg. Ever since, he's not quite as fast (which was his HUGE asset). A TON of his completions were due to him being able to buy 10+ seconds for his team to get open... no CB or DB can cover that long. Now that teams have figured out how to contain him, he isn't SUCH a weapon. (But he's still pretty darn good)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Brady or Manning eh?

As a Pats fan I like Brady and think he is up there at the top but don't forget the Pariots teamwork won all 3 Superbowls and a the best clutch kicker in the NFL certainly helped us. Don't get me wrong Brady is a great QB and a born leader. With Bill Billicheck and Brady the Patriots can do alot of things. I was at the game Monday night in Minnessota and the Vikings were shocking to say the least.

Peyton Manning on the other hand in my opinion is the best QB in the NFL. He has every right to complain about O-lines and blocking etc thats his job to he is a QB after all. He can call the right package through Audible better than any current QB in the NFL. He reads and knows Defences better than any other QB in the NFL. The Colts choking every year isn't down to Manning entirely. The year the Pats beat them in the Playoffs was down to a Patriots team that was unstoppable and the Steelers last year were the big surprise.

Any Manning 1 Brady in a close 2nd and I mean very close :):D

PS The reason Sky are not showing the encounter Sunday as it is the Prime time game at 8.30pm EST in US and Sky don't show the primetime games only the early afternoon and late afternoon games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Peyton Manning is without question the best quarterback in the NFL. The fact that he has not won a Superbowl does not diminsh this fact.

Dan Marino could arguably be called the greatest quarterback ever and yet he has not won a Superbowl.

They system in place in New England was ideal for him to win those rings. He was a 3rd string quarterback at the University of Michigan who never got an opportunity to play and when Drew Bledsoe went down, Brady stepped up and answered the call.

If Bledsoe doesn't get hurt, none of us may have ever heard of Brady.

Again, I credit the systems in place on both sides of the ball in New England for Brady's success.

Not taking away from Tom Brady, but Manning was born and bred for the postion....literally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,890 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

spud06 wrote:
    I think Michael Vick is over-rated to be honest.

Yeah have to agree there. He's good at scrambling out of tough situations because of his pace but I think he throws too many interceptions.

There are obviously the big two in Manning and Brady who are of undoubted quality. I think Rex Grossman of the Bears is having a good season after his injury problem. I'm not saying he's the best but tought he deserved a mention on current form.h

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Xavi6 wrote:
    There are obviously the big two in Manning and Brady who are of undoubted quality. I think Rex Grossman of the Bears is having a good season after his injury problem. I'm not saying he's the best but tought he deserved a mention on current form.h

I'm a Bears fan, so I am very happy to see Grossman playing within himself and not making many mistakes (most weeks). The truth of the matter is that he has the weapons to use and is playing well within the Bears system at the moment.

I think he has a long way to go before I can mention him in the same sentence as Peyton Manning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,890 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I think he has a long way to go before I can mention him in the same sentence as Peyton Manning.

What about mentioning him in the sentence AFTER Manning.....?!?! :D

I know the Bears are playing with an awesome defence that is getting them touchdowns but Grossman has done well, especially considering the season the man he replaced, Kyle Orton, had as a rookie last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭Manny7

They system in place in New England was ideal for him to win those rings. He was a 3rd string quarterback at the University of Michigan who never got an opportunity to play .

Just to correct you, Brady played every game of his final 2 seasons at Michigan and won the Orange Bowl throwing 4 TDs.

I agree the he doesn't have the best arm strength, or the best mobility, but the QB position isn't just about throwing the ball. Manning is a very good QB and excellent at pre-snap reads but can get confused after the snap, which is why he often has trouble played the Pats. If you ignore the mental side of things I'd agree that Manning is the best, but Brady makes the right throws at the right times.

And there is some talk that Brady would never have started had Bledsoe not got injured (there's a rumour that Charlie Weiss admitted this), but that just proves that Brady isn't just a system QB. Bledsoe was a very good player back in his New England days (#1 pick, 2nd most completions in a season ever) but he didn't win the Superbowl. He gets injured, Brady then wins 3 in 4 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,598 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I don't think the fact Manning not having won a Bowl means he's not as great as Brady. Surely the team as a whole can influence who wins the bowl. Like Marino, he has the best records in the NFL, however if you wanted any man on your team in a pressure situation, it would be Montana and not Marino. So brilliance comes in different scenarios really. Manning is possibly more naturally talented, but Brady has the mettle in the big big games

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭PappaCSkillz22

Peyton Manning is without question the best quarterback in the NFL. The fact that he has not won a Superbowl does not diminsh this fact.

I won't bother correcting you about Brady's Michigan antics, someone else already beat me to it, Brady was actually the first choice, a role he shared with Drew Henson for a while but when push came to shove it was Brady in the game.

If all you care about are some pretty throws, big stats and a relentless tidal wave of advertisements, well yeah, Peyton would be your man, sure. But to call someone the 'best' at something aren't you supposed to consider the intangibles, such as leadership, class, preperation and at the end of the day, clutch ability?

Time and time again Peyton has come up short, at college and in the NFL, whereas Brady has three rings and several victories over the often favoured Colts.

What you seem to be saying is 'Peyton is better because he has a stronger arm'. Well, if that's how you judge a QB's greatness, so be it.

I tell you what, I can't wait for endless Manning shots on Sunday night where he flaps his arms, looks up to the heavens and flips his chin strap off dejectedly, as he loses in New England yet again..

Gimme Brady any day of any week over that self absorbed, individualistic fantasy football freak Manning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭free2fly

I won't bother correcting you about Brady's Michigan antics, someone else already beat me to it, Brady was actually the first choice, a role he shared with Drew Henson for a while but when push came to shove it was Brady in the game.

If all you care about are some pretty throws, big stats and a relentless tidal wave of advertisements, well yeah, Peyton would be your man, sure. But to call someone the 'best' at something aren't you supposed to consider the intangibles, such as leadership, class, preperation and at the end of the day, clutch ability?

Time and time again Peyton has come up short, at college and in the NFL, whereas Brady has three rings and several victories over the often favoured Colts.

What you seem to be saying is 'Peyton is better because he has a stronger arm'. Well, if that's how you judge a QB's greatness, so be it.

I tell you what, I can't wait for endless Manning shots on Sunday night where he flaps his arms, looks up to the heavens and flips his chin strap off dejectedly, as he loses in New England yet again..

Gimme Brady any day of any week over that self absorbed, individualistic fantasy football freak Manning.

Here here!! Well put! :)

As somebody already said just because Manning has not won a Superbowl does not make Brady a better QB,I dont support the Colts, unfortunately I support the Dolphins but if Nick Saban had a choice tomorrow of either Manning or Brady I would be praying he took Manning. And about youre theory of Manning shots going astray on Sunday I totally 100% disagree because I think on Sunday you will see a more confident Manning who will help The Colts come out on top.By the way dont get me wrong I think Tom Brady is a superb QB but at the moment I think Manning is better.

• Advertisement

spud06 wrote:
    As somebody already said just because Manning has not won a Superbowl does not make Brady a better QB,I dont support the Colts, unfortunately I support the Dolphins but if Nick Saban had a choice tomorrow of either Manning or Brady I would be praying he took Manning. And about youre theory of Manning shots going astray on Sunday I totally 100% disagree because I think on Sunday you will see a more confident Manning who will help The Colts come out on top.By the way dont get me wrong I think Tom Brady is a superb QB but at the moment I think Manning is better.

So, basically, you are completely ignoring the fact that Manning, in his last 8 starts against the Patriots, has a 1-7 record? That, when he plays New England, he puts up stats like Jan. 18, 2004 (AFC Championship): Patriots 24, Colts 14. Manning: 23-47, 1 TD, 4 INT.

You are completely missing the point I think, and the irony is that it is Manning who works well in a system, not Brady. Imagine what Brady would do with guys like Harrison and Wayne to throw to!! The mind boggles!

Brady is a proven winner, over and over and over, whereas, with all those offeensive tools at his disposal all Manning can do is put up some pretty regular season numbers and then politely bow out when the real games get started!

So, basically, you are completely ignoring the fact that Manning, in his last 8 starts against the Patriots, has a 1-7 record? That, when he plays New England, he puts up stats like Jan. 18, 2004 (AFC Championship): Patriots 24, Colts 14. Manning: 23-47, 1 TD, 4 INT.

You are completely missing the point I think, and the irony is that it is Manning who works well in a system, not Brady. Imagine what Brady would do with guys like Harrison and Wayne to throw to!! The mind boggles!

Brady is a proven winner, over and over and over, whereas, with all those offeensive tools at his disposal all Manning can do is put up some pretty regular season numbers and then politely bow out when the real games get started!

Yes i do agree that you cannot forget the past however I think you are missing the point, what I said was that I think on current form Manning is better. And also I personnaly prefer Manning.

He got it done last night infairness to manning. Patriots pretty much handed the game to them on a plate though.

I'd still take the Pats in a play-off match.

I hope last nights game you keep all you Manning bashers quiet

When he gets it done in the playoffs, then i wont bash him.

Until then, hes still an over-rated bottler.

He got it done last night infairness to manning. Patriots pretty much handed the game to them on a plate though.

I'd still take the Pats in a play-off match.

If Faulk catches that ball, the Patriots probably tie the game up. Look, the Pats played horribly, Brady included, and the Colts played great, and won. So, now Manning is 2-7 against Brady's Patriots.

That was a battle, not the entire war, and if you think Brady plays like that again next week, or in the playoffs in Indianapolis's dome (Brady is 10-0 in a Dome, 10-0) then you simply haven't been watching Football the last 5 years.

Frankly I am delighted, I hope some bookies over react and drop the Patriots under 10/1 again because they just have the right 'feel' this year again for me..and ill be all over any 10 or more /1 like a bad rash!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Senbotsu

Tom Brady is the best QB, he's calm cool and gets the job done, blitz him and he throws slants, give him time and he throws bombs, and all round great QB.

P.Manning on the other hand, isnt a great QB, he can't handle a 4-3 defence and panics when the blitz is on. Plus as we all know the Colts choke in the playoffs, so it's looking like Bears vs Pats at the SuperBowl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

Big Ben is the best QB

seriously though i have a begrudging admiration for Tom Brady, the man is great, Manning is also great but as they said on Sky last week, rings over stats anyday

Big Ben i think can be as good as Brady. Baring his redzone plays, he managed to march the steelers down the field a good few times against Denver and had a career high day in passing.

Unfortunatly as soon as he got close to the end-zone he decided to pass the ball to champ bailey.

• Advertisement

Big Ben i think can be as good as Brady. Baring his redzone plays, he managed to march the steelers down the field a good few times against Denver and had a career high day in passing.

Unfortunatly as soon as he got close to the end-zone he decided to pass the ball to champ bailey.

You cannot be serious. How can you mention Ben Roethlisberger in the same breath as Manning/Brady.

Advertisement