Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3G or not 3G !!! Smart will know today !!!

• 31-10-2006 12:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 796 ✭✭✭

I wonder what the ruling will be or should be ??? I personally think that they shouldnt get it as the company is not strong enough.

Quote from Ireland.com:::

Court to make ruling on Smart mobile licence

Tuesday, 31st October, 2006

Smart Telecom is expected to find out today whether it will be allowed access to third generation mobile phone licence.

High Court judge Mr Justice Peter Kelly is to make a ruling on whether the Communications Regulator was correct to withdraw a phone licence from Smart.

Smart was awarded the licence, which allows users to access the internet over their mobiles.

However, regulator withdrew the offer of the licence because of issues surroundling a €100m bond to be paid by Smart.

Also today, shareholders will vote on a takeover approach for the company its 20 per cent shareholder, Brendan Murtagh, through his vehicle Bidco.

Under the bid Bidco will assume all of Smarts liabilities and in return Smart shareholders will get 10 per cent of Bidco. Smart's liabilities are estimated at over €40 million.

Mr Murtagh's proposal is expected to face opposition from at least one other shareholder.

More than 40,000 Smart residential phone customers were recently disconnected because the company owned Eircom €4 million.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I hope they get it, in fairness Eircom and Meteor (owned by Eircom) bid for the contract and it was first awarded to Smart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭nazoil

Hopefully it will be magic this time and not just Smart

Better not let the Aussies get their paws on the licence

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Smart Lose

http://www.rte.ie/business/2006/1031/smart.html

Comreg will award the 3G licence to the Aussies at about 6pm today.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

ah ****e anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

But Smart have had well publicised problems recently. I'm not sure they're the best company to be awarded a 3G license when they can't manage their fixed line services.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Worst case scenario Eircom gets the license.

It looks that that will happen now.

Irish people will continue to pay through the nose as a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

Smart were banking on this to get them out of their crisis!!! This must be very bad news for them .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Seems more likely worst case scenario is that Smart got it, considering how screwed they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Woohoo!

Sorry smart..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

BuffyBot wrote:
    Seems more likely worst case scenario is that Smart got it, considering how screwed they are.

Apart from trying to unbundle to many exchanges to quickly, the problems smart faced were actually due to eircom trying to put them out of business at every turn.

Obviously it might have been best if an existing operator like T-Mobile, who are big (and very competitive) in many markets get the license. However, eircom getting the license is worse than smart getting it. At least for the Irish consumer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

They should try to get Virgin or Orange to apply for it or even Tesco mobile would be better than giving it to Eircom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Dellas wrote:
    They should try to get Virgin or Orange to apply for it or even Tesco mobile would be better than giving it to Eircom.

Tesco and Virgin are virtual operators - they buy airtime in bulk for one of the existing networks and resell it. They probably wouldn't be remotely interested in it. Orange would be a different proposition though and i'd welcome them to the Irish market given my experience with them in the uk (technical services quite good although i ain't keen on their phone branding) although i doubt they'd be willing to invest after getting failing to get the third gsm licence which was eventually won by meteor They;d also be in the position of three - haiving to get a roaming agreement for gsm.

T-mobiile are the only other real international player that i could see coming for it and well the chances of them making a stab at it are a bit pie in the sky to be honest.

Looks like another victory for €ircon, seeing that they already run a gsm meteor and seeing they way they are extorting captive market they will certainly have the funds to build one.
    Did i mention it was a bad day for the consumer as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Captive market?

Have the other 3 networks shut down? Has Meteor leapfrogged Vodafone or O2 to take a huge market share which it is now abusing? Have they jacked up their prices?

Didn't think so. I can't help but think that some people are overreacting to this slightly.

BuffyBot wrote:
    Captive market?

Have the other 3 networks shut down? Has Meteor leapfrogged Vodafone or O2 to take a huge market share which it is now abusing? Have they jacked up their prices?

Didn't think so. I can't help but think that some people are overreacting to this slightly.

The "captive market" was a reference to eircoms refusal to allow landline number porability. A pretty basic thing which puts alot of people off changing provider. We all seen how the advent of number porting across the mobile networks led to an increase in customer churn..... still not available for landlines though.

I wonder why..... its more or less a captive market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Tarakiwa

neilled wrote:
    The "captive market" was a reference to eircoms refusal to allow landline number porability. A pretty basic thing which puts alot of people off changing provider.

I am not too sure what you are saying here Neilled..... I changed my service provider & kept my number. Is that not "porting"? (in fact, I have now changed provider again & still kept my original number!!)

Tarakiwa wrote:
    I am not too sure what you are saying here Neilled..... I changed my service provider & kept my number. Is that not "porting"? (in fact, I have now changed provider again & still kept my original number!!)

Then why have so many on boards reported problems keeping their number when changing their fixed line provider?

neilled wrote:
    Then why have so many on boards reported problems keeping their number when changing their fixed line provider?

Not a clue .............. but try it. It is quick, simple & free! I have changed provider twice ot get better rates & have kept my number each time.

I would suggest trying it as with each switch the prices seem to tumble!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

I think (I may be wrong) that your talking about 2 different things. One of you seems to be talking about CPS (switching to perlico or something to get cheaper calls) or something and the other is talking about GLUMP (Moving phonecalls, line rental & broadband & keeping your number).

skywalker wrote:
    I think (I may be wrong) that your talking about 2 different things. One of you seems to be talking about CPS (switching to perlico or something to get cheaper calls) or something and the other is talking about GLUMP (Moving phonecalls, line rental & broadband & keeping your number).

Thanks for the Skywalker ......... I can help to clear the confusion by confirming that I am just talking about moving my fixed line number from 1 provider to another.

If this is different to what others are posting about then my bad!!

Cheers again.

T

Advertisement