Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

website upgrade

Options
  • 31-10-2006 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭

Hi,

Thinking of doing up the companys website. dont want to go back to the guy who is hosting it as had a few problems over billings on his behalf and i just dont think he could be competent enough to do what we are looking for. does anyone have any references as to who they can recommend . would greatly appreciate any input anyone has to offer.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

I personally use blacknight.ie - good support, nice price, etc

Others to consider are hosting365.ie aswell

The reason I use blacknight - irish based servers and support:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

there's a lot of freelancers out there, just depends on your budget.... I'd also let your developer choose a hosting company as a lot of places will only support certain languages. I use crystaltech.com for my hosting platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

steve06 wrote:
    I'd also let your developer choose a hosting company as a lot of places will only support certain languages.
    Most of the bigger Irish hosting companies support pretty much everything you can throw at them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

blacknight wrote:
    Most of the bigger Irish hosting companies support pretty much everything you can throw at them.
    do you support coldfusion?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

steve06 wrote:
    do you support coldfusion?
    Yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

For hosting, the top 2 in Ireland (IMO) would be www.hosting365.com and www.blacknight.ie. Personally, I use Hosting365 and have only had a 1 or 2 issues over the past 5 years. I can't comment on experience with Blacknight but from what I hear, service/support is very good.

For a web developer, you could look in your local paper under classifieds; do a google search for web design in your area, e.g. web design swords dublin, check out www.freelanceireland.ie.

Rgds,

Dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

as for developer recommendations, I have always found word of mouth of is very good.

That is, if you have a spec of what you want and whether you need a designer as well for designing the site

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Is anyone here using Irish Domains? If so, what do you think? Virtual, dedicated servers as far as I can recall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

Hosting365 and Blacknight seem to have a fairly heavy following on these boards but, from an 'outsiders' point of view, I would highly recommend http://www.webhost.ie/ who I have found to be excellent. Their support is also second to none.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭frodo_dcu

Laslo wrote:
    Hosting365 and Blacknight seem to have a fairly heavy following on these boards but, from an 'outsiders' point of view, I would highly recommend http://www.webhost.ie/ who I have found to be excellent. Their support is also second to none.

Although their support does seem ok during business hours that’s where I would stop with there praise. one of our clients had hosting already paid for with them on a 5 year deal and there was nothing but problems their mysql is constantly down sometimes more than once a day nothing installed on their shared hosting server every time we did something we had ask them to install the php lib for it ahhh I could on

I have found blacknight very good sales and support but only use them for domains

h365 are ok support a little slower than i would like and their mail sever seams to go down sporadically of 30-60mins every few weeks or so but still quite good.

If you are looking for a designer/developer one company I work with (/in) is weenomedia

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

frodo_dcu wrote:
    Although their support does seem ok during business hours that’s where I would stop with there praise. one of our clients had hosting already paid for with them on a 5 year deal and there was nothing but problems their mysql is constantly down sometimes more than once a day nothing installed on their shared hosting server every time we did something we had ask them to install the php lib for it ahhh I could on

Ironically, I use Webhost for shared hosting and, apart from the odd bit of down-time, I've never had any other problem. As for support, David Farrelly the guy who runs WebHost, has literally supported me at 10pm on a Saturday night. I kid you not, the fellow seems to be there all the time. I've WebHost's support absolutely top-notch at all times and I couldn't fault them. Neither has anyone I've ever recommended them to.

Hosting365 on the other hand - I have a dedicated server with them. I've found their support ranges from excellent to quite poor. Sometimes they're just not helpful at all. "Please raise a support ticket"... "Eh, no... fix my f*^king issue". Not only that, but they've gone down twice this year without any explanation or apology whatsoever. Having said this, their service is excellent most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Laslo wrote:
    Hosting365 on the other hand - I have a dedicated server with them. I've found their support ranges from excellent to quite poor. Sometimes they're just not helpful at all. "Please raise a support ticket"... "Eh, no... fix my f*^king issue". Not only that, but they've gone down twice this year without any explanation or apology whatsoever. Having said this, their service is excellent most of the time.

I was left without FTP access to a site hosted by them for five-six weeks. It turned out they changed the username and password. Did they tell me? No!

I hear their customer support is dire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭WaterfordOnline

Hi,

Thinking of doing up the companys website. dont want to go back to the guy who is hosting it as had a few problems over billings on his behalf and i just dont think he could be competent enough to do what we are looking for. does anyone have any references as to who they can recommend . would greatly appreciate any input anyone has to offer.

If you want to e-mail me: info @ deise-host.com I will see if I can sort something out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Id like to throw www.3dpixelnet.com into the fray there. I have several sites hosted by these guys, support is fantastic. Always quick and always helpful. Yes, its not an Irish company but recommended nontheless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

One website and one name from me - Blacknight
    Been with the for few years now and the service is just excellent.

Advertisement