Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halloween Games

Options
  • 31-10-2006 1:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭

I know it is a bit late in the day but does anyone have more ideas than, bobbing for apples, snack-apple, and that one with the coin in a basin.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

We also play the flour and grape game.
    Take a bowl and fill it with flour and then make like a sand castle out of it.
    Then place a grape on the top ( peel it first if you want to be extra mean).
    Those playing take turns with a knife to cut away a slice of the flour cake/castle
    and the person who makes the grap fall has to eat it with out hands and basically but their face in the flour to get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭SarahMc

Too late, but anyway...

We play the flour game too, wonder what the origin of it is?
    Also, saucers with coins = you'll be rich
    rosary beads = you'll be a priest/nun
    water = you'll live overseas
    ring = you'll marry soon
    earth = you'll die soon (it is halloween!)
    Close your eyes and pick a saucer.

Peel an apple in one go, throw the peel over your shoulder and it will form the initial of the person you will marry.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭oldscoil

Hi Folks,

I see this thread hasn't been updated since 2006...

Therefore I'm wondering if the past five years have brought about any changes in how people celebrate Halloween.

i.e. now we're all broke, lets go Old Skool.

I'm hoping to have a Halloween party in the house for my young fella and nephews so I'd love to hear more party ideas.

Age group is 2 - 10.

Thanks in advance Folks,

b

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

well we usually do the bobbing for apples (and stick coins in them) you can change the 'difficulty' by

a: hardest - you only keep the euro coin if you bite it out of the apple,

b: medium - you keep the euro coin when you bite the apple that has it in it

c: easiest - you can use one hand to help you do b above (did this when she was 2 and 3 years old)

we also do the grape/flour game,

and the hanging an apple off a string in a doorframe, again you stick a coin in the apple and they have to try and bite it with two hands tied behind their back. (again you can blindfold them if they are older or you want to make it harder)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

hoodwinked wrote: »
    well we usually do the bobbing for apples (and stick coins in them) you can change the 'difficulty' by

a: hardest - you only keep the euro coin if you bite it out of the apple,

b: medium - you keep the euro coin when you bite the apple that has it in it

c: easiest - you can use one hand to help you do b above (did this when she was 2 and 3 years old)

we also do the grape/flour game,

and the hanging an apple off a string in a doorframe, again you stick a coin in the apple and they have to try and bite it with two hands tied behind their back. (again you can blindfold them if they are older or you want to make it harder)

We used to always play those games with the apples - but I never realised until now that there were meant to be coins; for us, the apple WAS the prize! :o

God my parents were mean! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

We used to always play those games with the apples - but I never realised until now that there were meant to be coins; for us, the apple WAS the prize! :o

God my parents were mean! :D

nah we used only get 2p or 50p coins, but these cents are so small euro or 50c are as small as ill go! (choking hazard :D)

there are possible hygiene implications too, but sure its halloween! :D the sweets will kill any germs she eats...:D

another one i thought of although its not quite halloween-y is musical statues/chairs with halloween music.

Advertisement