Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal shed with condensation problems

Options
  • 31-10-2006 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    set up a 9 X 7 metal garden shed over the summer. Mounted it on a concrete slab. Did all the work myself and am quite proud! Of course, its still not big enough for all the tools and stuff!

I have a condensation problem on the underside of the 'roof'. As it is a 'standard' metal shed, it is simply galvanised metal all the way.

I have this dream idea of buying a type of rubber/insulation paint and simply painting that inside the shed. Trouble is, I've been told such stuff cannot be purchased in Ireland. And the few companies out there in this country that would apply it do not go for such small products - basically, that would be too expensive.

What are the options to dry-lining, so to speak, a metal shed?

Seanie.

Comments

My shed has a layer of roofing felt attached to the underside of the tin roof the ends of this are lapped over the outside edges of the walls so any condensation runs down and out the sides.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

I did the same myself -had drops falling onto the ground !!!

so I ended up putting a large sheet of plastic under the metal sheeting.

You could also get 1" sheets of insulation and glue them to the under side of the metal sheets.

I will prob xhnage mine for the double insulated sheets and from a flat roof to an apex one.

it was a major pain foe me when it happen - hope it works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Thanks guys. I wonder if the plastic sheeting is the best option. I mean, if (rockwoll) insulation was used, surely water would accumulate and eventually drip through anyway?

I also thought about adding some vents - good or bad idea do you think, considering the cold weather approaching?

Seanie.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Vents is the only way to go.

Air in a metal shed heats up fairly quickly in the sun. Warm air can contain more moisture than cold air. Effectively the warm air in your shed will attract moisture from the outside air and when the shed (and the air in it) cools down again, the excess moisture will condensate on the steel.

You need air to flow freely trough your shed in order to keep the inside temperaure aligned with the outside temp and to reduce condensation to a minimum. Two large-ish opposing vents near the top of the roof should help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Thats what I thought. I will look into the vents option and see what I can come up with.

S.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

I have a wodden garden shed with a galvinised roof.There is plastic on the inside of the galvinise on the roof and if suffers bad condensation which drips on to somne items in the shed.Ya I think the ventilation idea should solve it as I left the door open for a few hours today and the condensation cleared.

Advertisement