Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spoiler don´t read if not read up to & including 6.half Blood Prince

• 31-10-2006 5:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Having finished this I´m quite anxious now for the 7th and final book,
    I heard (i think) on BBC that it will be out summer 2007 but I think I´ve heard it will be later since.

Question about Snape,
    Did he kill Dumbledore because he made that unbreakable vow and didn´t want to die himself ?
    or was he really a DE all along ? (im assuming this)
    what was it that made Dumbledore trust him completely ?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Those questions cannot be answered for definate. There are many theories to support a variety of different possibilities regarding Snape and Dumbledore. Some believe that Snape was just a Death Eater all along, some believe that Snape stayed on the good side and Dumbledore asked him to kill him so Voldemort wouldn't realise the deception, some believe that Dumbledore isn't dead at all and actually Snape only said the words "Avada Kedavra" while non-verbally using a harmless spell. There are more theories out there, if you google them.

Seems JK can often be found in a cafe next to my college campus. Many people have seen her writing in there and said, when she goes to the bathroom, she leaves everything on the table (wallet, bag, phone) and just brings the manuscript with her! I've yet to see her, though :(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭nando

Wow! I'd love to see jkr!

Personally I think Snape and DD had it all worked out in advance as DD felt that as he had already made the Unbreakable Vow it was more important that Snape didn't blow his cover with the DEs. I think Snape is nasty but essentially working for the Order. I think he'll help Harry with the Horcruxes in book 7.

Check out the forums on the major HP websites for endless Snape theories and more! (such as the-leaky-cauldron or mugglenet)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Faith wrote:
    some believe that Dumbledore isn't dead at all and actually Snape only said the words "Avada Kedavra" while non-verbally using a harmless spell.

i really hope that this is what happened, although i dont think it will now that that theorie is so widespread on the net, jkr wont use it.

nice website i came accross: http://veritaserum.com

It's what I like to believe too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Faith wrote:
    some believe that Snape stayed on the good side and Dumbledore asked him to kill him so Voldemort wouldn't realise the deception
    I'm pretty convinced thats it. Harry also needed to stand on his own 2 feet, and now he has no one to go running to for backup.

• Advertisement

Agreed. I think that, no matter what the truth behind Dumbledore's death is, if he is still alive, he won't reappear until the end of the 7th book.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Faith wrote:
    Agreed. I think that, no matter what the truth behind Dumbledore's death is, if he is still alive, he won't reappear until the end of the 7th book.

i think ( and really hope ) that he'll appear early on into the book

KamiKazi wrote:
    i think ( and really hope ) that he'll appear early on into the book
    I'd be absolutely amazed if she brought Dumbledore back from the dead. Its the easy happy ending, like little red riding hood's granny surviving being eaten by the wolf. It would cheapen Dumbledore's sacrafice if it was all just a trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

I want to see Neville kick the 'poo' out of Bellatrix, it has GOT to happen, I thought he was going to do it in book 5 until he fecked up his speech

Marts wrote:
    I want to see Neville kick the 'poo' out of Bellatrix, it has GOT to happen, I thought he was going to do it in book 5 until he fecked up his speech
    I wouldn't be surprised if he died trying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Pff... Dumbledore is definitely not gone for good. I reckon, that in the same way Voldemort had all those parts of him saved in other places so he could come back to life, I'd say Dumbledore has done it too. I reckon he prob suspected that Snape was evil still, and had that back up plan cos he WANTED Voldemort to think he was dead, and hence a surprise attack element when Voldemort lets his guard down. Cos Dumbledore is the greatest wizard and wise and all that Gandolphy stuff...

I like that whole Snape not evil and plotting with DD n stuff... got me to thinking now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

And I reckon Harry get killed. cos JK Rowling has hinted that she hates happy endings and doesn't want pressure to ressurect him further down the line. But she may be bluffing..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 hydomel

God, the suspense is killing me. I reckon Snape was really an evil guy all along, but i also think that Dumbledore knew that. The same way that he knew that malfoy was plotting to kill him. Neville will totally get revenge for his parents, but i have to agree with Gurgle, he will probably die. I want Dumbledore to still be alive, but it's rumoured that Jk has cleared up the matter by saying he's dead. definitely dead. That said, he also says in Book 4, "No spell can reawaken the dead harry", so i reckon he meant it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭the evil lime

I wrote this about this time last year, and have never bothered to fix the errors and such, but it's my analysis of the Snape is good/Snape is evil argument. I'm in favour of the Snape is good motion.

If you're curious, I did pass the exam in question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

ive heard both voldamort and harry are set 2 die.also who does everyone think R.A.B is?i think its Regulus.A.Black sirius's bro.my theoryanyway.i think he swapped lockets wen Prof.D fell of the tower.cause the locket was real when he got it from the lake place or so i belive anyway....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

Lil Kitten wrote:
    And I reckon Harry get killed. cos JK Rowling has hinted that she hates happy endings and doesn't want pressure to ressurect him further down the line. But she may be bluffing..
    nah she messed up years ago by admitting that one or the other VOldermort or Harry would die in the end, so she'll do in Voldermort as it follows the natural arc, otherwise the last book ends in the series in total dissaray and WB won't be happy

nah she messed up years ago by admitting that one or the other VOldermort or Harry would die in the end, so she'll do in Voldermort as it follows the natural arc, otherwise the last book ends in the series in total dissaray and WB won't be happy

I'm pretty sure that she's in control of the book, and free to change her mind. I wouldn't take it as cast in stone that one or the other will die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

but shes already printed it in the other books dumbledore has even said that trelawneys only true vision concerned the fact that only one(voldermort or harry) will survive the war. thats been repeated a few times now. so i don't see her changing that, plus she sold the rights to WB so there'll be pressure to have a nice happy ending

Oh, I get you. The prophecy went "… and either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives …"

I still don't think that means that the death of Harry and Voldemort are mutually exclusive. I believe, and have done for a long time, that both of them will die. Perhaps Harry will have to sacrifice himself in order to destroy Voldemort.

Advertisement