Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

East of Eden - John Steinback

Options
  • 31-10-2006 6:40pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just started East of Eden by Steinback. Having read and really enjoyed "The Grapes of Wrath" towards the end of last year I thought it was time to go back to his stuff.

The man has such a way with words. Makes you want to pull down the shades and just sit there reading and rereading his observations and comments on ordinary folk. Excellent stuff.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

I loved Grapes of Wrath and Of MIce and Man, Ive been meaning to add this to my to read pile for a while. Let me know if its up with those two books.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I read East of Eden this summer (my first Steinback) and just fell in love with it. The writing is just fantastic, particularly the pacing; the slow meandering epic quality to it.
    Also I bought of Mice and Men a few days ago, and it's next on my to read pile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

snip.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭crybaby

amazing book if you like his rambling epic style books then go get winter of our discontent next

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Yeah I like his rambling alright. Got through 75 pages last night. He is some man for the human observations.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Finished "East of Eden" this afternoon. Interesting how he included himself as a character (a very minor one) in the book. Any more detailed info on that? I couldn't find much for the past 10 mins on wiki or google.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Without adding any spoilers, the ending of East of Eden is fantastic. One of my favourite books.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

Must check it out. I read cannery row twice already. Lovely read

Apparently Steinbeck wrote this book for his two son's. Within the book there is much conflict between brothers i.e. Adam and C???, plus Adams sons Aron and Cal.

Advertisement