Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flashed 360? Read BEFORE you apply the update through live

Options
  • 31-10-2006 7:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭

There is an issue with 360s with Samsung drives and the update. Anyone who has modified firmware older than C4Es 4.1 will brick their console if they update.

Dont worry if you've already done it, its fixable.

Anyone whose drive Ive flashed and has this problem, drop me a PM and I'll reflash them to 4.2 for free. This will allow you to upgrade normally, or unbrick your console.

360s with Hitachi drives are unaffected, as are Samsungs with fw later than 4.1.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

No evidence of any immediate change in MS policy either. Ive tested two updated consoles online, no probs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭irishproduce

So if I have 4.1 I need to reflash to 4.2?? Or is 4.1 ok??
    Is it just flashes before 4.1 or up to and including 4.1??

Thanks

4.1 or later shouldnt have probs.

Found out I have 4.2 so I shouldnt have any probs.
    Heres hoping anyway.
    Can the update ruin my flash no??

If anything goes wrong the box wont boot, you'll see E66 error onscreen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

If you have a samsung ms-25 drive then xtreme 3.X or lower will be fine. 4.x might give you the error.

Samsung ms-28 should be flashed with the 4.x firmware.

Thats what peeps are reportingso far anyways ;)

I should be ok so, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭bigpoppa

anyone on here fancy helping me flash my 360?

Bigboppa , Ask Ciaran C to flash it. He has done mine. , he is a good guy .

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

Thinking about getting mine flashed but i want to be sure ms cannot block you from live. ill leave it a while before. I have read that there is no way they can detect the dvd flash version, but they must be aware of it so I reckon they will try their best to find a way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭bigpoppa

anyone flashing xbox 360s in dublin? ciaran c can you contact me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Moojuice wrote:
    Thinking about getting mine flashed but i want to be sure ms cannot block you from live. ill leave it a while before. I have read that there is no way they can detect the dvd flash version, but they must be aware of it so I reckon they will try their best to find a way.

do the flashing yourself, its relatively simple

that way if on the off chance they DO figure it out, you can restore it to the original firmware yourself, instead of having to send it off to someone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

which chip would u reccomend for a 360? fractal or globe 360? im tempted to go with the globe since it seems the support is better.

why chip it when you can just flash the dvd drive?

chippin is the one off solution because they wont be able to tell in anyway that the firmware has bein changed since the chip goes on only when the backup is in.
    when an original is in, it is back to the normal firmware

j4vier wrote:
    chippin is the one off solution because they wont be able to tell in anyway that the firmware has bein changed since the chip goes on only when the backup is in.

+ The new 0078k hitachi drives can only be flashed by taking off the flash chip and programming externally. which aint easy. The new nme 1.2 chip will work with those apparently, making life a lot easier.

j4vier wrote:
    when an original is in, it is back to the normal firmware
    surely they cant tell if the firmware has been changed as it is tho? otherwise im sure thered have been a shedload of people kicked off live

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Helix wrote:
    surely they cant tell if the firmware has been changed as it is tho? otherwise im sure thered have been a shedload of people kicked off live

I sure hope not :D I reckon they'll probably release a fix for it soon though,through an update, just means I ain't going to accept the update till I know what it does and if it means I've to unflash and then relfash then so be it.

But they force the updates on you. The console says something along the lines of if you dont accept, you'll be signed out of xbox live, doesnt it?

Yeah it does, just means I'll have to play offline till knowledge of the update spreads. I'm not just going to accept every update like I did before it was flashed.

• Advertisement

i recently got the 360 and gears of war. when i started the game, it told me that an update was necessary to start the game.does that mean that if we do the update something happens to the fw mod?

No, that was probably just a patch for that game.

I've got my 360 set to boot to the dashboard. So if I see a screen prompting me to update upon booting up then I'll hold off till I know what it's for.

Kenny 5 wrote:
    I sure hope not :D I reckon they'll probably release a fix for it soon though,through an update, just means I ain't going to accept the update till I know what it does and if it means I've to unflash and then relfash then so be it.
    im of the belief that theres next to nothing they can do, otherwise it wouldve been done

as was mentioned in this thread what they HAVE done is make it harder to flash the newer models, which id say is gonna be their new angle. if you cant detect whats already done, stop more being flashed and write it off to experience

surely the percentage of people with flashed drives is miniscule anyway, so if they just make it as near to impossible as they can for the new machines, that percentage will get smaller and smaller

Helix wrote:
    im of the belief that theres next to nothing they can do, otherwise it wouldve been done

as was mentioned in this thread what they HAVE done is make it harder to flash the newer models, which id say is gonna be their new angle. if you cant detect whats already done, stop more being flashed and write it off to experience

surely the percentage of people with flashed drives is miniscule anyway, so if they just make it as near to impossible as they can for the new machines, that percentage will get smaller and smaller

Well if thats the case then its after backfiring again. :D
    The newest 0078k drives have been compromised by a software flasher/patcher released today.

eventually everything will be flashable

is there no way for them to have the dvd drive firmware contained within the actual 360s internal board that would be detectable on live instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 tmac87

Well I have a new one for you....

I flashed my MS28 with 4.2 and evrerything was great, even the updates...

I can play all my games fine, but when I get online to Xbox Live, "NO matches are detected." Even with the broadest searches. I have it hooked up through my router, a netgear WGR614 v7, and directly to my cable modem, both didn't help. The 360 console says everything is perfect in the network settings in the dashboard. I tried Tiger Woods 07, Ghost Recon and College Hoops 2K7 (all burned on Verbatim DVD+R DL)....All would not let me connect. I did an update, but I'm not sure if this caused it because I did not go online before I updated.

could just be the games themselves

like with cod3 its practically impossible to get a ranked match in live, with a backup or the real thing

ill give tiger woods a shot when i get home from work and let you know if i have the same problem, then ill get a chap i know who has the original to see if he has any issues getting matches

is it ranked and player matches, or just one or the other that you cant get onto?

i have a q regardin flashin
    i tried to connect the xbox drive to my mb an asus a8n sli deluxe
    however when windows loads it becomes extremely slow
    did anyone experience this and is there a solution?

its ok its sorted
    just to confirm..
    i have the 5.2 fw on the ms25 does that mean that if i go live and update it will brick my console?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

I have the ancient 3.0 fw and have all the latest updates, thank god it hasn't bricked yet. The xbox has the good dvd drive, samsung one I think, ie. the earliest model.

Advertisement