Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of renting one bed apt!

Options
  • 31-10-2006 9:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hi,

Just a little question just want to see does anyone have a view on this. I'm currently living with my parents and share a room with my brother. I'm 23 and really think its time to get my own apt. the only trouble is the cost of renting a one bed out my way (clondalkin) is 900pm - would this be expensive taking into account it is half my wages? would it be reasonable to manage? - i know i have to take into account bills and that but it is getting to the stage that i need to get out of my parents and get my own place- unfortunatly cant qualify for a mortgage on my own until this time next year - has anyone any comments on this?

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Get a mate to rent a two-bed with you. It'll work out much cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Dutz

all me mates have g/f that there all movin in with so thats not an option, unfortunatly - although renting the one bed myself is going to hopefully only be 6mnts to a year because i'm going to apply for the aff. housing and if that fails i'll try get a mrtg myself

i'm just worried that it is going to be tight re - money

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭inigo

Have you considered bedsit, studio, or renting with others if it's for such short period of time? They're all cheaper options...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

it sounds too expensive to me. it would make it tough to put a deposit together.

Sometimes two-bed apartments have a double room and a single room. Maybe you could get the single room in one of your friends' apartments.

still, maybe if you really want to try living alone it is worth it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

inigo wrote:
    Have you considered bedsit, studio, or renting with others if it's for such short period of time? They're all cheaper options...

I'd second that.
    900 a month is a lot for a one bed apartment.
    3 beds in Lucan are 1100/1200 (and thats on mainstreet....)
    Keep in mind the rent is only one bill- you will most likely have to pay electricity/gas/NTL/refuse etc. etc.
    It all adds up......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Dutz

thanks for the words of wisdom guys but i honestly wouldnt be able to live with me mates - there sound and that but there's limits to a friendship and living with them would strain that epecially if there g/f stayed all the time!!!

my head is really melted living at home and im feeling really depressed cos i dont get on with the family much and that but hey thats for another thread:D

i just really need to find out if its capable to be done - or is it worth doing!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'd suggest having a look around some of the traditional student areas- such as Rathmines/Ranelagh. You will most probably get a reasonable bedsit for perhaps 350-400 a month. It will not be palacial by any means- but it will give you your own independence and a chance to experience living on your own. It will also be a lot easier on your pocket that renting an apartment- and areas such as Rathmines have a lot of facilities and amenities geared towards younger people. 900 is a hell of a lot of money......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I don't know if there are many bedsits out there at reasonable prices anymore, but it is worth a look.

I would suggest finding someone (i.e., not friend) to share with on daft.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 scsa

Half your wages is way too much. You've got to think more like a third. 900 is about right for a 1 bed apartment outside the city centre though, so you've really got to lower the expectations and look at flats/bedsits in the 600-700 range. I live in one and it's not so bad! You're only 23 anyway, everyone's got to go through the bedsit phase. :p

If you have to go lower than 600 for a bedsit though... well, just don't. There'll have to be mould or a rat infestation or scumbags all around or something for that price.

Advertisement