Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hi

Options
  • 31-10-2006 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭

I just got a new puppy. He is 9 weeks old. I was wondering could you please give me advise on how to house train him. He is peeing 10 times a day and pooping 3 times a day! How do I teach him he couldnt be doing this in the house? Is he too young to understand yet?

I would be grateful for advice!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Honest answer is time and patience.
    Don't scold him if he goes in the house.
    Give him praise when he goes to the bathroom outside. Dogs are fairly smart and learn quite well, but it is to the owners to give them the time needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Noise! When you see him about to go start clapping and making noise.
    Don't scare him but distract him.
    Then direct him/bring him to where he can go. He'll pick it up fast.
    If you scold him he'll just not go in front of you.
    I used the clapping method with my Sheperd. It took a day or two to train him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

noise ...clapping?

ehh ...no ...

firstly, after EVERY eat, play or sleep bring your pup outside, let it do its business (it will) and praise it when it does so

secondly, watch your pup and when it shows signs of unrest, take it outside, wait, praise

thirdly, if it starts going whithout prior warning, if you can, take it outside anyway... if the deed is already done, just clean up without fuss and without scolding the pup (scolding it for peeing/pooping , which is natural, might give you a very disturbed dog)

Have patience and reapeat one, two and three until dog is house trained

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

peasant wrote:
    noise ...clapping?

ehh ...no ...

firstly, after EVERY eat, play or sleep bring your pup outside, let it do its business (it will) and praise it when it does so

secondly, watch your pup and when it shows signs of unrest, take it outside, wait, praise

thirdly, if it starts going whithout prior warning, if you can, take it outside anyway... if the deed is already done, just clean up without fuss and without scolding the pup (scolding it for peeing/pooping , which is natural, might give you a very disturbed dog)

Have patience and reapeat one, two and three until dog is house trained

Worked fine for my dog.
    But i'm sure there are many methods of house training

By the way. I did get this from a training manual. I didn't just make this up!
    Just wanted to clear that up. Excuse the pun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Remeber at 9 weeks his bladder is tiny and he will have very little control of it so he won't be able to "hold it", even if he wanted to, for any amount of time => bring him out often.

• Advertisement
Advertisement