Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vista Activation

• 31-10-2006 10:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

Microsoft today talked to bit-tech in a bid to reassure the enthusiast community about the licensing terms of Windows Vista.

We previously read that Vista could prove to be a nightmare for enthusiasts who upgrade often, with only one transfer to a new machine allowed and with the license tied to a particular system configuration in a way that was far more limiting than Windows XP.

A Microsoft spokesman from the Licensing Dept told bit-tech that this would not be the case. He told us that Windows Vista will not require a system re-activation unless the hard drive and one other component is changed. This means that enthusiasts will be able to swap CPUs, memory and graphics cards out without any worry about having to re-activate with MS, either on the internet or by phone.

Should you change the hard drive and another piece of hardware - for example for a major upgrade such as a motherboard change that requires a re-installation - Microsoft will allow you to re-activate up to 10 times. You will not, however, be able to have more than one machine activated concurrently.

Should you wish to activate more than 10 times, you could be busted, or Microsoft could choose to let you activate again at its discretion.

For hardcore system enthusiasts, keeping a ghosted, activated copy of Vista with no drivers could be a good way of being able to swap around components and machines with the minimum amount of hassle.

This would seem to clear up some of the confusion about Vista activation. Let us know what you will be doing over in the forums!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Interesting :)

But it seems like good news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Whats that about only being to activate 10times? Thats a crock, iv formatted like 4 times in the last 6 months for various reasons, what happens after my 10th? I have to re-buy the program.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

For hardcore system enthusiasts, keeping a ghosted, activated copy of Vista with no drivers could be a good way of being able to swap around components and machines with the minimum amount of hassle.

I can see the hardware merchants putting a lot of pressure on Microsoft to ease up on activation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

TonyM. wrote:
    Microsoft today talked to bit-tech in a bid to reassure the enthusiast community about the licensing terms of Windows Vista.
    Link? I can't find it on bit-tech :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Ah, it's over a week old :)
    That's why I couldn't find it on the news front page.

From the wording of the OP I thought it happened yesterday :(

Advertisement