Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this rent relief?

Options
  • 01-11-2006 12:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭

My mate got 1200euro back cos he sent in some form to the revenue saying he was handing up money to his mam to stay in her house, does anyone know what this is? He hasnt got a clue what it is cos his sister did it for him, is it rent relief?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭SarahMc

Yes, thats rent relief see www.revenue.ie However, his mam should have been making a tax return (even though income was tax free under rent a room scheme), also if his mam was claiming any social welfare payments, they would be affected, so tread carefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Ogie16

I doubt its rent relief. the max figure is something like 320 per year. Unless he's claiming for a few years. To me it sounds like his tax was reviewed for previous years and any overpayments refunded

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Paraic

It would only be rent relief if he was claiming back for the last 4 years.
    The max you can claim back is up to 2002.

Reason for edit: No company advertising in messages/signatures please

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

so you can get rent relief from living with your parents?

How do you prove it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

BIFFO Cowan included a clause in this week's budget to rule out this sort of incestuous relief.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Very true, he closed off this 'loophole' in the budget but kept it very quiet.

I managed to get €1,700 incl '06(in tax credits) when i claimed as far back as '02 during last summer.
    You'll get it for periods only when you have worked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I've heard of a few people claiming back money they paid to their parents - you can claim up to 7000eur a year before your parents have to pay tax on it I was told?

You're saying this is no longer possible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Dutz

i applied for this 6 weeks ago and havent heard anything back but a friend of mine sent his back 4 weeks ago and rec'd a letter back saying that it was cost of living and if he was to claim back he will need documentive evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I've heard of people claiming without reciepts ... I guess evidence of a monthly bank transfer would be sufficient?

Hmm...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Need advice.... goin to ask the landlord for his PPS no so I can claim rent relief. Thing is I know for a fact the house is NOT registered as a rented property and im 99% sure he doesnt pay tax on the rent either..... Prob is "the landlord's son" is a good friend of my bro (who also lives with me). Talk about being stuck in between a rock and a hard place...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

stepbar wrote:
    Need advice.... goin to ask the landlord for his PPS no so I can claim rent relief. Thing is I know for a fact the house is NOT registered as a rented property and im 99% sure he doesnt pay tax on the rent either..... Prob is "the landlord's son" is a good friend of my bro (who also lives with me). Talk about being stuck in between a rock and a hard place...:rolleyes:
    Why is his tax evasion a hard place for you? It's his problem. Let him sort it out with Revenue (along with his bill for punitive interest & penalties). If he won't give you the PPS number, Revenue will still allow you to claim relief - just give the address of the property and the landlords name/address & Revenue will take it from there.

We have to stop seeing tax evasion as a victimless crime - He's taking money out of the public purse, and he needs to be stopped.

Rein in there Rainyday, I asked for a bit advice (apreciated) but I didnt ask for the lecture in Tax Evasion... sure I know he's doing the dirt on the tax side. I wouldnt give a sh1t if I didnt know the people involved, after all my bro will still have to go to college with his son, tax evasion or no tax evasion

stepbar wrote:
    Rein in there Rainyday, I asked for a bit advice (apreciated) but I didnt ask for the lecture in Tax Evasion... sure I know he's doing the dirt on the tax side. I wouldnt give a sh1t if I didnt know the people involved, after all my bro will still have to go to college with his son, tax evasion or no tax evasion
    I fail to see how having a brother who is a good friend with the landlord's son creates any hardship or issue. If the son is a good friend, he's not going to let Daddy's tax evasion get in the way of a friendship. If he does choose to make an issue of it, then he wasn't such a good friend in the first place.

In fairness Rainyday you dont sh1t on your own doorstep, now I dont know who your friends are but you dont go wading in being politically correct. The revenue will no doubt eventually catch up with people like these. Its not my job to go creating hardship for people. Your entitled to your opinion buts thats not the way I would like my friends to operate if the tables were turned. Anyhow I think we'll prob sort something out.

stepbar wrote:
    In fairness Rainyday you dont sh1t on your own doorstep, now I dont know who your friends are but you dont go wading in being politically correct. The revenue will no doubt eventually catch up with people like these. Its not my job to go creating hardship for people. Your entitled to your opinion buts thats not the way I would like my friends to operate if the tables were turned. Anyhow I think we'll prob sort something out.
    This is nothing to do with political correctness. It's a matter of theft from you & me. You're not the one doing the sh1tting - he's the one crapping on your steps, if he expects you to give up your entitlement to tax relief so that he can skip off a few more quid. He's being pretty dumb anyone - any half-decent accountant will ensure that any property investor pays minimal tax (thanks to FF's close relationship with the building industry).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement