Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unable to renew ip address error!

Options
  • 01-11-2006 12:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭

Hi,

I recently got a machine from a friend. I re installed windows as soon as i got it and installed all the relevant drivers.

When i connect it to my router for internet access, i get an internet connection for about 5 minutes then it just goes.

In my network places window it says that my 'internet connection, enabled' and my 'lan connection is enabled'.

HOWEVER, when i right click and repair my lan connection it says: 'the following steps of the repair operation failed: renewing ip address'

If i reboot, i get an internet connection again for 5 mins or so then the same problem returns.

Any ideas? Thanks!! Im going mental!! I have very limited network knowledge and this is killing me.

I have a laptop wirelessly connected to the same router working fine and another desktop connected working fine also. Any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Stupid question but is your router set up as a DHCP server?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Check what feylya mentioned then reboot the router (hard reboot ie power off and on).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭cooper_man

DHCP is 'on' in my router properties. Should this presume it is acting as a dhsp server?

SHould it be or should it not be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭cooper_man

Just another point. In network connections, if i disable the lan connection (which wont repair) it wont enable again. It states connection failed.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

DHCP should be on if it was on previously. Go to one of the other computers, open a command prompt and type ipconfig /all. Note what ip address, gateway and DNS servers are mentioned. Go to the network card that isn't working and enter those values except increment the last ip number by one.

eg 192.168.1.42 should be changed to 192.168.1.43

• Advertisement
Advertisement