Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opera Centre

Options
  • 01-11-2006 1:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭

I see from the ABP website that their decision re the Opera Centre will not be made until 24 Nov now.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

the ABP???

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭johnmolloy554

ABP= An Bord Pleanala

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Looks like a decision has been made.

Limerick centre gets go-ahead
    Karl Hanlon in Limerick

Modified plans for a major retail development have been approved for Limerick city. An Bord Pleanála has upheld an earlier decision by Limerick City Council to grant planning permission for the proposed Opera Centre complex, subject to conditions.

It is estimated that the development, which will encompass almost an entire block of Georgian streets, could create up to 1,200 jobs.

The centre is to be dedicated to the memory of the world-renowned 19th-century soprano Catherine Hayes, who came from Limerick. Her birthplace on Patrick Street is to be transformed into a museum as part of the plan.

The conditions attached to the planning approval stipulate that a number of buildings which the developer had applied to demolish will have to be retained.

It is understood that the developer, Belfast-based Regeneration Developments Ltd, was yesterday studying Bord Pleanála's decision before making any comment.

Mayor of Limerick Joe Leddin welcomed the decision. He said that the complex would help to make the city-centre a vibrant place to shop and live and would be a significant boost to the city.

Limerick City Council granted permission for the Opera Centre earlier this year, but that decision was appealed by architect Cáit Ní Cheallacháin. The appeal was taken on the grounds that significant architectural heritage would be lost if the development was allowed to go ahead. In upholding the earlier decision by the local authority, Bord Pleanála imposed a number of conditions, including a stipulation that a number of Georgian period buildings, which the developer had applied to demolish, should be preserved.

The board also ruled that revised plans for the necessary conservation work will have to be submitted to the planning authority in advance of any actual building.

The revised plans should include details of how the Georgian buildings will be integrated within the overall development.

It is understood that planners at Limerick City Council originally decided to grant permission for the ambitious project to address an imbalance in retail floor space in the city-centre.

Several out-of-town shopping complexes have been approved in recent years in the Limerick urban area but there has been little development in the city itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ellenmelon

The conditions attached to the planning approval stipulate that a number of buildings which the developer had applied to demolish will have to be retained.

thats really good that the buildings around there will stay..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

The buildings are not staying the frontages are being preserved but new building are going up behind it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭scrattletrap

The buildings are not staying the frontages are being preserved but new building are going up behind it

That's fine by me, a number of the Georgian buildings on Patrick Street, including Catherine Hayes's home have been unoccupied for a number of years and are on the verge of collapse. I doubt many can argue that the loss of the interiors which must be in an incredible state of decay and haven't been seen by anyone for a while would be a loss to our heritage. We still have plenty of fine Georgian buildings in the city (the largest intact area of Georgian buildings in the world if I'm not mistaken)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭motormouthmable

what happens to the shops and the flats opposite the hunt museum? what with the granary? what with the trinity rooms?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Everything in the Granary is staying. The Old Cahill May Roberts Building is gettin knocked to be an entrance to the SC. Those apartments and Limerick Post etc. etc. will be kept with their back to the SC. However from Emerald Alpine down will partially be incorporated into the SC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

I love the fronts but some of the backs are desperate .....

Oh, and I get my M&S ...... yipeeeeeee :p .... I hope!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ellenmelon

the frontages are usually whats mainly protected anyway, unless its grade one and EVERYTHING is listed :)
    they hold most of the character anyway, especially if the buildings are derelict and therefore the insides are pretty dire and not worth keeping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

That's fine by me, a number of the Georgian buildings on Patrick Street, including Catherine Hayes's home have been unoccupied for a number of years and are on the verge of collapse. I doubt many can argue that the loss of the interiors which must be in an incredible state of decay and haven't been seen by anyone for a while would be a loss to our heritage. We still have plenty of fine Georgian buildings in the city (the largest intact area of Georgian buildings in the world if I'm not mistaken)

I agree. If those buildings had been left to rot for another decade, we could have had another Arthur's Quay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭motormouthmable

are they left unoccopied / run down maybe for a reason? who owns all the buildings in this area?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

are they left unoccopied / run down maybe for a reason? who owns all the buildings in this area?

They were left fall into a state of gross disrepair, and then it became such a problem that they would have cost too much to fix for it to be worth the owners time and effort.
    I'm not sure about how owned the buildings on Patrick Street. But all of Ellen Street belonged to Stephen Stoltz, the guy who ran Quinn's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Well, the wait is over, the builders are moving in next week. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

ya there was a aticle aobut it in the limerick post (just read it online)

Advertisement