Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VB6 web application

Options
  • 01-11-2006 1:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I'm fairly new to VB6 so maybe the answer to this is obvious, I couldn't find much when I googled it so I thought I'd ask here.
    I've written an application in VB6 to display a graph and give the user a few buttons to press. Is there some way I can turn this into a web application (ie. one that anyone can use over the internet regardless of their OS) or is this type of thing supported by VB6? If not, then can it be done using VB.NET, and is there much of a difference between the two languages?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Thats not a simple question.

You can turn your VB app into an activeX or com object which will run via the web on windows platforms. If you want something that will run on other platforms you'd be better writing it in something else like java and writing an applet or similar. Another choice is ASP but thats slightly different.

VB is different from VB.NET but thats a whole different thread.

You also need to look at the difference of applications running client side and server side.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

Thanks for the quick reply.
    I'll try turning it into an ActiveX component and see how that goes. I tried writing this app in Java but it was proving too much hassle on the GUI side of things. It'll just have to run on windows only I guess :( .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

There is a control conversion wizard in VB6 to turn it to activex.

One of the main things to remember is that is only supported in IE

Also if you use any variables to pass into the control you need to set the height and width of the control or else it will not display. Also you will need to sign it to get it to work

If that isnt enough MS have had to change their instansiation methods for ActiveX controls since loosing the case so check out the changes

Advertisement