Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Altar" by Sunn O))) & Boris

• 01-11-2006 1:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭

This arrived this morning. I have to say, as much as I love both these bands I'm disappointed so far. A couple of really great tracks like "Etna" and "The Sinking Belle" but the rest hasn't grabbed me at all. Granted I've only given it the first disc one spin so far so hopefully it will grow on me. Time to listen to disc two.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

As far as collaborations go, I think the album is a great example of how two different bands can create something that really gives the impression of their two styles working together rather than creating a muddied mix of the two. Granted, I've heard very little of Boris in the past but I can definitely hear the fusing together of the two band's styles. Etna is fantastic I agree. Akuma No Kuma and Blood Swamp are probably my two favorites though. I would never have expected Kim Thayil to guest on a song!
    Btw, my copy of the album I got at the gig and consequently it doesn't have the second disc- what's the Dylan Carlson song like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

It's good. Not amazing but it certainly passes half an hour pleasently. It's pretty much as you expect, drones with that new Earth sound thrown on top.

As for the collaboration, it sounds like Boris on their own with little bits of Sunn O))). Sunn O))) haven't really added anything as Boris have been doing that heavy drone for longer than they have. I need to listen to it more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I did a review here for anyone that's interested

Advertisement