Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AVG not Free

• 01-11-2006 9:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭

When updating this morning got a message saying AVG are suspending their free Virus product. Is there any decent free alternative out there??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

It is still updating fine for me.

Cal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,228 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I went to update AVG free the other day and it told me my version was going to be discontinued (was using 7.1 i think) i upgraded to the free 7.5 version and have been fine, up til last night anyway. Haven't turned the PC on today so i won't know until i get home tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

If you go to their site there is a different free version availible, jest uninstall the old one and install the new one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

They've upgraded to version 7.5 and won't support version 7.1 after another few of days.
    Here's the link for 7.5: http://free.grisoft.com/softw/70free/setup/avg75free_428a818.exe
    Remove the old version before you install it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

Yup they do that often enough, they stop providing updates for older versions. Just means you have to get the newest version.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Oh noes !!!!
    I have to upgrade my free antivirus to the latest free version :eek:

Compared to the times I've had regedit all the machines on site more than once when upgrading commercial AV to a different version, and still despise any commercial AV where management tools don't work as described. Free AV FTW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭sioda

Yeah but they aint supporting the AV after chistmas

sioda wrote:
    Yeah but they aint supporting the AV after chistmas
    Where did you hear that? I think you're getting your wires crossed.
    They won't be supporting the old version (v7.1) after the 15th of Jan '07. It is being replaced by version 7.5 (linked above) which will continue to be free.
    GRISOFT is announcing a new version of the AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition. This new 7.5 version with improved performance and user interface is available. Users that are using AVG Free 7.1 will be provided with a specific dialog, within the next few weeks, with the opportunity to choose the right option fulfilling their needs. AVG Free 7.1 version will be discontinued on 15th of Jan 2007.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Has anyone experienced the Resident Shield failing to launch/stay up after you boot?
    I've an idea it's related to ATI/nVRaid.
    Been this way through successive versions over the past year.

AVG forums suggested that Roxio Cd crap was the cause - but I don't have that installed.

Norton internet security causes this aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

kaizersoze wrote:
    Remove the old version before you install it.

I had to install the latest one this morning too. I didn't remove the old one though, in fact, the old one was still running when I was installing 7.5. It seems to have worked fine. Could there be hidden errors? I think during the install process I had to choose update, repair or remove, I chose update.

Advertisement