Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mourinho- Gone Too Far ?

• 01-11-2006 10:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭

After reading some of the comments in previous threads about Mourinho, i thought to myself, can anyone other than Chelsea supporters defend Mourinho this season.
    I think he has been totaly out of order with comments made before and after matches, such as the Reading game and Barcelona game.
    He is such a self obsessed person that everything has to be about him - that reaction after they drew last night was embarrassing, he showed no class at all.
    He constantly criticises other teams, playes and officials and is always making excuses before and after games.

Do people think he should be fined or sanctioned for all the crap he says ?
    I am undecided about whether he should or not...everyone is entitled to free speech but there has to be a limit.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Quality manager, can't stand him though. We're not allowed to say he's a twat here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Shock horror the day after Chelsea take a point from footballs darlings we get one of these insightful threads.

Do you reckon we have three or four by lunchtime?

For the record I'm not a Chelsea fan, but Mourinho wasn't the only manager out of order last night and I didn't see him confronting any referees. Are we going to get an "Is Rijkaard a twat?" thread too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Is this thread a bit of a twat ?

Gotta hate Moanrinho, hope Rafa gets him AGAIN !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Another pointless ridiculous thread. honest have we not grown past these?

For the record I'm not a Chelsea fan, but Mourinho wasn't the only manager out of order last night and I didn't see him confronting any referees. Are we going to get an "Is Rijkaard a twat?" thread too?
    That was very uncharacteristic behaviour from Rijkaard. I think all the needling from Chelsea combined with their late equaliser and celebrations just pushed him over the edge. Stepping out of line once is quite forgivable but Mourinho does it all the time. During their respective reigns at Barca and Chelsea Rijkaard has achieved greater things so not only respect for that but also for the way he usually conducts himself.

• Advertisement

iregk wrote:
    Another pointless ridiculous thread. honest have we not grown past these?
    Mourinho generates controversy which generates discussion so what do u expect?

kinaldo wrote:
    Mourinho generates controversy which generates discussion so what do u expect?

What I expect is a bit of cop on. Sure discuss it at lenght but creating a thread saying Mourinho, a total twat is very childish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

He's a graceless clown who believes his own hype so much that.......you know what, I can't even be bothered explaining why he's an idiot. He just is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

kinaldo wrote:
    That was very uncharacteristic behaviour from Rijkaard. I think all the needling from Chelsea combined with their late equaliser and celebrations just pushed him over the edge. Stepping out of line once is quite forgivable but Mourinho does it all the time. During their respective reigns at Barca and Chelsea Rijkaard has achieved greater things so not only respect for that but also for the way he usually conducts himself.
    What a load of garbage. What does what each manager has achieved at the current clubs have to do with anything?

You are out of line or you are not, full stop.

Why not have respect for everything Mourinho has won in his career? It's more than Rijkaard has :rolleyes:

I'm not for a second saying that Mourinho is an angel, or that I particularly like him, but this is a non-sense thread, where people with agendas will come on and talk tripe blaming Mourinho and Chelsea for all that is wrong with football. I wonder how long before we hear the cliche "cancer of football"? It's used so much these days it is a bloody cliche by now.

It's boring, if I want to read about that I'll open one of the other umpteen threads about it.

iregk wrote:
    What I expect is a bit of cop on. Sure discuss it at lenght but creating a thread saying Mourinho, a total twat is very childish.
    The thread title should be changed for the sole reason of of people walking into bannings by responding yes.

• Advertisement

What a load of garbage. What does what each manager has achieved at the current clubs have to do with anything?
    My mentioning of it was purely incidental as I was making a point about the respect Rijkaard has amassed during his reign there having taken over at the same time JM joined Chelsea. I think u need to calm down a bit.
    Why not have respect for everything Mourinho has won in his career? It's more than Rijkaard has
    I do have respect for what he's achieved in his career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Mourinho is a ****

that's my 2c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

The more important question is whether or not this thread will make it to lunch time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

It could have been a decent discussion if not for the lame title.

I admire Mourinho in many ways. He admitted last year that he deliberately causes aggro to take the focus off his players. People just dislike him because he's arrogant, but he's still one of the best managers around (next to O'Neill of course:p:p).

I love the way he winds up the press (and a lot of supporters too judging by comments thus far). It's the vintage "love to hate" public enemy figure and footy needs these wacky characters to add a bit of spice to the beautiful game.

He's behind you...
    Oh no he's not!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Jimboo_Jones

Mourinho is ace, I love him most the time, hate him some of the other times.

But I think that the Prem is all the better for having him there.

He beats the other dour sods that manage the top prem teams for entertainment value anyway.

really, really loved his celibration last night, made me chuckle :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

MOurinho can be annoying, hate is a strong word... however Im beginning to dislike Essien alot, along with alot the Chelsea players. I feel Mourinho will have to do alot more of his madness to protect them in the coming weeks if they keep this up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

iregk wrote:

Didn't actually call him a twat, I said is he a twat ?
    *Twat* - Its only a word people, many other words could desribe Mourinhos behaviour other than twat, people here seem to be concentrating solely on one word and nothing else, that word only represents what i feel he could be described as after recent weeks.
    So for the record can we replace Twat with say, Mourinho - Has he gone too far or overstepped the mark

ziggy67 wrote:
    So because you disagree with what he says he should be fined or sanctioned? That is more arrogant than anything Mourinho has come out with.

And Chelsea didn't win last night BTW

Well i didn't say he should be fined or sanctioned, am undecided, what he has been saying has been totally out of order in all fairness, he makes lots of controversial and outlandish comments that distract from the football and make the whole thing a joke, what he says never benefits anyone, it just plays into the medias hands.
    He should stop making vast amounts of rediculous comments and start making quality comments about football.

My apologizes, realise Chelsea wdrew but you would swear they did win by celebrations

Savman wrote:
    I love the way he winds up the press (and a lot of supporters too judging by comments thus far). It's the vintage "love to hate" public enemy figure and footy needs these wacky characters to add a bit of spice to the beautiful game.

A very intelligent way to look at it !
    Although you might find wacky characters amusing, do you not find that this wacky character has brought the game down - Before the Barca game he was outlining that Barca received more penalties at home, more players got sent off against them etc etc This in my opinion is outragous, this puts the officials under unneeded pressure and cant be helpful to them in their preperations.
    Although its obvious to most people that the reasons are clear and simple, Barca will be attacking alot more at home.... but it is still wrong for him to make such statements that incinuate dodgy going ons

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Other managers use the media to comment/play mind-games, etc, and Mourinho is no different than the rest in that regard. He has a different way of doing it but he isnt breaking any law as far as I know, and I dont thnk he has transgressed the 'bringing the game into disrepute' line from what I have heard. But then, I dont follow every syllable that he says so I cant judge. I didnt hear what he said yesterday in some press conference so what I saw of the game was in isolation of that and it didnt affect me in the slightest.

Personally, I think there is too much in the media about who said what etc, and I'd much rather be watching/playing football than talking about it in minutae. Having said that, hearing what people say on various matters is of interest as it tells you a bit about that person, their personality, etc. hat they say can change your perception of them, and how much you like them, etc. I am sure there are many things that Mourinho has said that I agree with but likewise many things that I dont agree with.

Suggestion: I think Uefa could nip all this in the bud by making it a condition of having a 'Managing licence' that all interactions with the press/media are limited to one 1 hr maximum post match conference. If they break it, they could be banned from attending any football matches for the rest of the season. That would put the kibosh on it. The papers, TV, etc would be dead against such a restriction, and maybe some fans, but it doesnt break any personal freedom or freedom of press issues.

I blame Fans and Players for following the 'latest news', but its hard to avoid it what with the media whipping it up all the time. Some people actually buy tabloids (!!!!). Go figure. We get what we deserve and in this case what 'we buy', or at least what the english public buy with an Irish-media flavour of it.

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Mourinho is deflecting the fact that chelsea are underperforming by there standards, imo that is a good thing, but sometimes he takes things too far... kinda like fergie in his day and wenger.

Mind games is nothing new to football, Mourinho obviously enjoys them!

In relation to the result, it more or less confirms Chelsea get through to the next round. 2 matches to go and they would be confident they could get two draws minimum.

It'll be interesting to read/watch the shenanigans in the build up to Man U vs Chelsea on 26th

ziggy67 wrote:
    OK, so you were asking if Mourinho should be fined or sanctioned for saying stuff you disagree with . Is that right?

Whether i disagree with him or not is not the point.
    The point is that some of these comments he makes do bring the game into disrepute and this should not be allowed
    A manager should not be allowed to say that the team they are playing next receive too many penalties at home just before the game, with these comments he is trying to influence the game
    Also the comments he made about the reading player were in very poor taste, unfounded accusations...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Haven't numerous managers and players said the same thing about Ronaldo, Old Trafford etc...
    Its old rope...

Some stuff is OTT like how Hunt meant to Kill Cech, i think any eejit knows thats not the case...

with these comments he is trying to influence the game

WOW Imagine that a manager trying to influence a game prior to kick off. Have you not watched football in the last 20 years or have you ignored all of it until Mourinho came into play. Fergie & Wenger are old hands at this. Its nothing new. I think you have finally stumbled onto the best kept secret in football. I think they call it mind games or something, im not sure.

ziggy67 wrote:
    Of course whether you disagree with him or not is the point. You wouldn't have started this thread if you agreed with him would you?

I can agree with him on alot of stuff but i find he over steps the mark too often, thats the point.
    After he puts pressure on the ref before the game, he then comes out with statement after game saying ref did well considering all the diving and calling for players to get booked,(also questioned why some of his players were booked) these are unprofessional digs at the ref and Barca.
    Pot and kettle would come to mind with such comments and should not be taken seriously but they are still wrong

iregk wrote:
    WOW Imagine that a manager trying to influence a game prior to kick off. Have you not watched football in the last 20 years or have you ignored all of it until Mourinho came into play. Fergie & Wenger are old hands at this. Its nothing new. I think you have finally stumbled onto the best kept secret in football. I think they call it mind games or something, im not sure.

Does that make it ok so??
    Mourinho goes far beyond what Fergie and Wenger do, i think trying to influence officials is a total disgrace and making inflammatory remarks for no reason is also a disgrace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

He is acting like a spoilt child. Someone needs to punch him back down to
    reality.

He sure is great entertainment though.
    I can agree with him on alot of stuff but i find he over steps the mark too often, thats the point.

This I agree with that. He over steps the mark too much. Its nice to see some
    crazy antics from managers and players but not every week or day. Its just too
    much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

some of the stuff he comes out with is borderline to "bringing the game into disrepute" but he is clever in how far he goes. One of these days he will over step the mark and the FA/UEFA whoever is relevant will come down on him like a ton of bricks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

If he was with a mickey mouse team he'd be minor annoyance, ala Warnock, but the fact that he's with them means he's on the news 24/7. I remember thinking it was funny as hell when he kept rising ferguson with porto. As a neutral it was funny, now its not. I don't an honest opinion will ever be forthcoming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

what he has been saying has been totally out of order in all fairness, he makes lots of controversial and outlandish comments that distract from the football and make the whole thing a joke, what he says never benefits anyone, it just plays into the medias hands.

He should stop making vast amounts of rediculous comments and start making quality comments about football.

What exactly has he said that is out of order?

Why do you think the media ask him questions about refs / opposing managers / on or off field incidents? to get bog standard "i didn't see it" answers or to create some controversy?

He's quite capable of talking about football too.

growler wrote:

Why do you think the media ask him questions about refs / opposing managers / on or off field incidents? to get bog standard "i didn't see it" answers or to create some controversy?

He's quite capable of talking about football too.

I have already stated which comments were out of order !
    He is capable as you say to talk about football but this is becoming less and less frequent in my opinion.
    He is obviously intelligent, so blaming media for asking questions is not an excuse, he is the one responsible for what he says. Why make comments on Barcas home games and incidents that have nothing to do with him, he is trying to tarnish Barcas reputation...

Also the over the top celebration was also unprofessional in my opinion, doing that infront of thousands of passionate home supporters, that type of behaviour is what can cause violence after games and bitterness for years to come. Why not be gracious....does not set a good example to kids does it....
    Even if they lost, they would still of been favourites to qualify so the celebration was purely based on it being Barcelona, it was done to rile up Barcelona

Ok and Martin O'Neills jump in the air fish waving salute is not unprofessional? Nor was the man u a few years back in old trafford when the ran onto the pitch?

There are a hundred and one things that happen at every game you could say are unprofessional. The problem is these are not Mourinho so why talk about them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

growler wrote:

"Then this boy goes to him with the knee in front and he knows what he's doing. And when he saw what he did, he was laughing."

Re: Steven Hunt

iregk wrote:
    Ok and Martin O'Neills jump in the air fish waving salute is not unprofessional? Nor was the man u a few years back in old trafford when the ran onto the pitch?

There are a hundred and one things that happen at every game you could say are unprofessional. The problem is these are not Mourinho so why talk about them.

Well comparing Martin O'Neill with Mourinho, two totally different characters, with totally different personalities, with totally different mindsets and totally different agendas(besides winning).
    O'Neill would not have been engaged in the pre game antics Mourinho was engaged in, he is not a self obsessed character and is modest and gracious in what he says and does.
    Mourinho should be a role model for youngsters, he is in the lime light alot and has a responsability to behave in a certain manner, he does not do this in my opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭SCULLY

Also the over the top celebration was also unprofessional in my opinion, doing that infront of thousands of passionate home supporters, that type of behaviour is what can cause violence after games and bitterness for years to come. Why not be gracious....does not set a good example to kids does it....
    Even if they lost, they would still of been favourites to qualify so the celebration was purely based on it being Barcelona, it was done to rile up Barcelona

Shock horror - manager celebrates injury time goal in one of their biggest games in the season - definite hanging offence.

What would your views be on Fergusons similiar celebrations against Sheff wednesday (if i remember correctly Brian Kidd actually ran onto the pitch when the game was still officially on), or is it a case of when Jose does it he is trying to rile up the crowd but if anyone else does it he is passionate etc.

SCULLY wrote:
    Shock horror - manager celebrates injury time goal in one of their biggest games in the season - definite hanging offence.

What would your views be on Fergusons similiar celebrations against Sheff wednesday (if i remember correctly Brian Kidd actually ran onto the pitch when the game was still officially on), or is it a case of when Jose does it he is trying to rile up the crowd but if anyone else does it he is passionate etc.

Biggest game of season ? Chelsea were firmly set to qualify whatever the result of this game, thats the black & white view, although i do realise there is alot more to it because of Chelseas resentment Of Barca for winning Champions League last year.
    You may be right in that i put Jose in a different bracket to other managers but these other incidents you mention occur around totally different circumstances and i would view Jose as alot more cunning, the celebration last night was more of a - Yesss, everybody look at me, iam the man, up yours Barca.
    Why so passionate in defense of Mourinho ? Do you see any flaws in him ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭dohboy

Mourinho only gets into this repeated panto with the press to deflect attention away from his players, and put it all on himself instead.

If people really wanted to get on his wick, they should just ignore his sh1t stirring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

I'm delighted we have such a passionate manager, I love the way he wound up Barca's staff, players and fans pre match, I loved the way he celebrated the goal and I love the way he can inspire my team to greater heights. Barca have been our bogey team for the last 3 years, this win was an important step for us in our challenge for the CL this season and to see the manager celebrate as much as me was great.

He was quite right to point out the strangely biased home advantage that Barca have enjoyed at the Nou Camp, chelsea have suffered as a result of this just a year ago, at least JM makes his comments on referees on camera and not in the dressing room. He wouldn't be the first manager to visit barca and wish to do everything he could to ensure parity of refereeing. Not that we got it, Marquez should have been off and we should have got a penalty.

No one would give a flying feck if he was manager of sheffield utd, only because his chelsea team look set to continue their dominance on the premiership and perhaps challenge for the CL, taking the shiny trophies away from Man U , Arse and the Pool do you see so many of you lot get your virtual knickers in a twist about some word games.

dohboy wrote:
    Mourinho only gets into this repeated panto with the press to deflect attention away from his players, and put it all on himself instead.

If people really wanted to get on his wick, they should just ignore his sh1t stirring.

Easier said than done :) I believe he enjoys the charade and does it more for himself than for the players

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

that cagey jose has even his fans fooled

growler wrote:
    I'm delighted we have such a passionate manager, I love the way he wound up Barca's staff, players and fans pre match, I loved the way he celebrated the goal and I love the way he can inspire my team to greater heights. Barca have been our bogey team for the last 3 years, this win was an important step for us in our challenge for the CL this season and to see the manager celebrate as much as me was great.
    Obviously not biased :rolleyes:
    I would expect him to inspire your team to greater heights given the resources available to him.
    Bogey Team/Better Team

growler wrote:
    He was quite right to point out the strangely biased home advantage that Barca have enjoyed at the Nou Camp, chelsea have suffered as a result of this just a year ago, at least JM makes his comments on referees on camera and not in the dressing room. He wouldn't be the first manager to visit barca and wish to do everything he could to ensure parity of refereeing. Not that we got it, Marquez should have been off and we should have got a penalty.
    The strangely biased home advantage - Barca are an attacking quality team, of course they will receive more penalties for them and fouls against them.
    Marquez to be sent off - And Chelsea players are Angels are they.

growler wrote:
    No one would give a flying feck if he was manager of sheffield utd, only because his chelsea team look set to continue their dominance on the premiership and perhaps challenge for the CL, taking the shiny trophies away from Man U , Arse and the Pool do you see so many of you lot get your virtual knickers in a twist about some word games.

I also cant stand Warnock, i think he is a poor representative for the game also.
    And your right all Chelsea will do is challenge for CL, they will be easily beaten in my opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 623 ✭✭✭hawker27

he is the special one,orchestrating a beautiful symphomy.
    don,t mind the 3 prats on rte last nite,deep down the wanted barcelona to win.

the special one is good for the game,he breeds a new ploy to it.

hawker27 wrote:
    he is the special one,orchestrating a beautiful symphomy.

Why should they want Chelsea to win, do they not have a choice?
    Although you call them prats they do know alot more about football than most and can respect what they have to say.(take Dunphy with a pinch of salt)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

hawker27 wrote:
    I think anyone who likes good football would have preferred to see the easier on the eye ,stylish team win .
    Its human nature.

I don't quite get where people say Barca are Chelsea's bogey team. We knocked them out 1 year, they knocked us out the following year and so far this year we have taken 4 out of 6 points off them! We have the better record against them.

For me the biggest disappointment in this game was that it was not allowed to be a game of football. The media have to take much of the blame here. During it Chelsea and Barca showed glimpses of brilliance and I would love to have seen the two of them just go at it. Pure football no bull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

iregk wrote:
    The media have to take much of the blame here.
    Haha! :D

I think you should look closer to home if you're gonna start playing the blame game.

• Advertisement
Advertisement