Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mourinho- Gone Too Far ?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

BaZmO* wrote:
    Haha! :D

I think you should look closer to home if you're gonna start playing the blame game.

Did I say the media take all the blame here? No. If you had read any of my posts on other threads (not having a go you probably have't come across any) you can see that I haved cited Mourinho and Eto'o for stiring it. Mostly Jose to be fair. But its the media that take this, spin it up and drive it home. As we have said previous. If he was manager of say Chesterfield he wouldn't get an inch of colum space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

Mourinho wasn't the only manager out of order last night and I didn't see him confronting any referees.

Well all I have to say is that I did see Mourinho confront the referee. In fact the referee had to come over to him when he was ranting at the sideline when he and everyone else in the stadium thought Ashley Cole had received a second yellow.

Personally, I really liked Mourinho when he arrived in the premiership, but this season he has finally got on my nerves and I think some of his comments are a bit ridiculous.

I'm a Man U fan and am envious of Chelsea's great manager. My only criticism is this season he seems to be taking his comments too far - also Chelsea were always a great team to watch football wise, even when they were losing they tried to play football. I just don't get that from them anymore - which isn't neccessarily a bad thing as they are winning!! and that's what it's all about!! :)

Chelsea fans will love reading my blog post on my take of the game.......... not !! :)

My Blog..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I dont see what the hoo-ha and infatuation by football followers is over Mourinho. He is but one voice, and your annoyance or 'love' of his comments gives him more credence than anything else. If you dont like what he says, ignore him. If you do, listen to him.

I agree with The Monster and iregk on this. If he does cross the line, Uefa or the FA might do something about such an incident.

My thoughts are still the same:

- Other managers use the media to comment/play mind-games, etc, and Mourinho is no different than the rest in that regard.

- There is too much in the media about who said what etc, and I'd much rather be watching/playing football than talking about it in minutae.

- Uefa could nip all this in the bud by making it a condition of having a Manager's Licence that all interactions with the media are limited to 1 hr maximum post match conference. If a manager chooses to break it, they would be banned from attending ALL football matches for the rest of the season. That would put the kibosh on it. Manabers could talk as much as they like to the media during the off-season.

In a way, Uefa, the English FA and other FA's encourage this type of stuff as it is entertainment and forms part of the attraction of football as an entertainment industry, as in the drama, the soap opera, the theatre that surrounds the sport. What makes good chat, banter, discussion is good for the game. Uefa could stop it all at a drop of the hat if they wanted to, but at the moment anyway it looks like they dont.

If I want to watch a soap, I will watch Cornie, Eastbenders, Ros na Ruin or Fairly ****ty. I dont watch football to get soap-opera-like entertainment.

redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

tomED wrote:
    Well all I have to say is that I did see Mourinho confront the referee. In fact the referee had to come over to him when he was ranting at the sideline when he and everyone else in the stadium thought Ashley Cole had received a second yellow.
    Eh, who was doing the confronting?

And wasn't Mourinho right to go mad? Seeing as the officials themselves weren't sure if the same player had been booked twice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

iregk wrote:
    I don't quite get where people say Barca are Chelsea's bogey team. We knocked them out 1 year, they knocked us out the following year and so far this year we have taken 4 out of 6 points off them! We have the better record against them.

For me the biggest disappointment in this game was that it was not allowed to be a game of football. The media have to take much of the blame here. During it Chelsea and Barca showed glimpses of brilliance and I would love to have seen the two of them just go at it. Pure football no bull.
    I'd consider them chelsea's "bogey team" because i can't think of a team that has look better than them as much as Barcalona do. The game at Stamford Bridge this season is the only one where Chelsea deserved to win i think.

Eh, who was doing the confronting?

And wasn't Mourinho right to go mad? Seeing as the officials themselves weren't sure if the same player had been booked twice?

Mourihno stepped outside his technical area shoutig abuse at the referee, that's confronting.

I think the referee knew exactly what he was doing in fairness, it was mourinho that got it wrong. (and spanish tv crew)

tomED wrote:
    Mourihno stepped outside his technical area shoutig abuse at the referee, that's confronting.

I think the referee knew exactly what he was doing in fairness, it was mourinho that got it wrong. (and spanish tv crew)
    I don't recall Mourinho stepping outside his technical area.

And to be fair, the fourth offical, who (apparently) indicates to the TV crew who was booked got it wrong, so I could understand Mourinho's frustrations seeing a player sent off against Barcelona (again) for what would have appeared to be two fairly innocuous incidents.

It is not Mourinho's fault that the communication between the fourth official and the ref is not what it should have been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Jimboo_Jones

redspider wrote:
    - Uefa could nip all this in the bud by making it a condition of having a Manager's Licence that all interactions with the media are limited to 1 hr maximum post match conference. If a manager chooses to break it, they would be banned from attending ALL football matches for the rest of the season. That would put the kibosh on it. Manabers could talk as much as they like to the media during the off-season.

Not only do I see this as absolutely impossible to enforce, I fail to see any logic what so ever in this. I'm sure on hour is more than enough to bring the game into disrepute ;)

I refer you to a quote I picked up on my football teams forum ;)
    This is taking the p**s-

Uefa may also act against Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho and Barcelona counterpart Frank Rijkaard depending on referee Stefano Farina's report.

Mourinho's celebrations after Didier Drogba's late equaliser may come under scrutiny but Rijkaard's actions are more likely to be punished.

The Dutchman marched to the centre circle at the final whistle to confront Farina.

Utter b*****ks, it will be better if robots, no, if the whole thing is played out on a computer.

It would seem that some people would like to see the game completly devoid of this thing humans call 'emotion'

You might just like watching the 90 minutes play, but I like the build up as well. The meal and a pint at the pub beforehand, the prematch interviews, the hype the spectacle of the game.

I also find it odd that with all the diving displayed in this match, that the main focus appears to be on a manager celibrating by sliding on his knees after his team scored a goal in injury time, I know which I think is wrong, and which one of these actions should be stamped out.

I don't recall Mourinho stepping outside his technical area.

And to be fair, the fourth offical, who (apparently) indicates to the TV crew who was booked got it wrong, so I could understand Mourinho's frustrations seeing a player sent off against Barcelona (again) for what would have appeared to be two fairly innocuous incidents.

It is not Mourinho's fault that the communication between the fourth official and the ref is not what it should have been.

Well he did, if you can get a copy of the match, have a look again.

Even if he did get bad information, there was no need for this. 1 yellow was for dissent, the other for a bad tackle.

You have to take of those blue tinted glasses mate. seriously.
    I'm a neutral here - not taking sides. I already mentioend that I love watching chelsea...... What I am commenting on is the way I saw it the other night.

• Advertisement

tomED wrote:
    Well he did, if you can get a copy of the match, have a look again.
    I saw it the other night, and he certainly didn't come marching out of his area like Rijkaard did. I've already said that Mourinho has been out of line, but a little equality would be nice. I don't see any threads on Rijkaard confronting referees.
    tomED wrote:
    Even if he did get bad information, there was no need for this. 1 yellow was for dissent, the other for a bad tackle.
    It is the officials fault if he got bad information, perhaps Cole had relayed to him that he thought he had been booked for dissent when he in fact said nothing? It is perfectly understandable for him to get upset in that instance.

His team would have been hard done by again, ironically, in the exact same way he feared before the game in his comments that had caused so much uproar.
    tomED wrote:
    You have to take of those blue tinted glasses mate. seriously.
    I'm a neutral here - not taking sides. I already mentioend that I love watching chelsea...... What I am commenting on is the way I saw it the other night.
    Listen, mate, I'm a Liverpool fan. Liverpool have probably the biggest rivalry with Chelsea, outside of Barcelona, given their numerous meetings over the last few years. I'm the one being neutral here.

I find it amusing that you can label yourself "neutral" when I decided to have a look at your blog and your headline for the Chelsea game:

"CHEATING CHELSEA SAVED BY DROGBA"

Get a grip mate. You are nothing of the sort.

I also like a line towards the end

"It appears Chelsea are going down the same route that Arsenal went when they were winning everything."

Seems to me you're just a bitter little United fan with a serious chip on his shoulder because his team aren't winning things anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

redspider wrote:
    My thoughts are still the same:

redspider

Genius, if he can only talk for an hour then he can't say anything controversial. No point talking about the game beforehand, the press or public generally aren't interested in such things.
    :rolleyes:

The game at Stamford Bridge this season is the only one where Chelsea deserved to win i think.

i suppose beating them 4-2 at the bridge wasn't deserved ? ?

Jivin_Turkey. That last one of yours is possibly the best post I've read in a long time from a Liverpool fan on this site.

I saw it the other night, and he certainly didn't come marching out of his area like Rijkaard did.

I never said he did. I merely pointed to the fact that he came out of his technical area shouting and screaming at the referee, which in my opinion is confrontation.
    It is the officials fault if he got bad information, perhaps Cole had relayed to him that he thought he had been booked for dissent when he in fact said nothing? It is perfectly understandable for him to get upset in that instance.

Agreed that it's not his fault. Still doesn't make his actions understandable.
    Listen, mate, I'm a Liverpool fan. Liverpool have probably the biggest rivalry with Chelsea, outside of Barcelona, given their numerous meetings over the last few years.
    :confused:
    I find it amusing that you can label yourself "neutral" when I decided to have a look at your blog and your headline for the Chelsea game:

"CHEATING CHELSEA SAVED BY DROGBA"

Get a grip mate. You are nothing of the sort.

I also like a line towards the end

"It appears Chelsea are going down the same route that Arsenal went when they were winning everything."

Seems to me you're just a bitter little United fan with a serious chip on his shoulder because his team aren't winning things anymore.

Seriously man, completely neutral here and as I have said in the past I have always been a fan of Chelsea. Nothings changed there.

I just feel they're are not as exciting as they used to be. And again as said above, I don't neccessarily think that's a bad thing, since it's all about winning and they are doing that.

And yes I do think Chelsea cheated on Tuesday night and yes I think Mourinho has gone a step too far in his comments of late. But from a footballing point of view, I haven't lost any respect for him - there is no doubt he is world class.

Do I think FIFA/UEFA should get involved? - eh no. I think they all stick their oar in too much. The less they got involved, the better it would be for everyone involved!! :)

At the end of the day, I don't see why managers opinions on games, referee's or comments about players should be censored. We're in the real world here - how can any manager not feel incensed after a game of football when things don't go their way??? But one things for sure, they should be able to control it.

Making statements about how Barcelona were diving to me sounds like something Arsne Wenger would say and I honestly thought Mourinho was better than that. Chelsea on the night we're much more - or in fairness -it was more Drogba than anyone else.

His comments about Hunt doing harm to Cech on purpose, is over the top. I didn't think that was a fair assessment either. But everyone has their opinion and he is welcome to it. But that doesn't mean we all have to agree with him.

I personally would prefer to hear HIS opinions than hearing what FIFA or UEFA wants us to hear from a manager.

growler wrote:
    i suppose beating them 4-2 at the bridge wasn't deserved ? ?
    Unless you think blocking the keeper from making a save counts as a deserving to go through.

• Advertisement

tomED wrote:
    ....I honestly thought Mourinho was better than that.
    HaHaHaHa

tomED wrote:
    I never said he did. I merely pointed to the fact that he came out of his technical area shouting and screaming at the referee, which in my opinion is confrontation.
    Like I said, I'd have to see it again, but I remember the incident and I'm almost certain he didn't leave the area. Or if he did, it was at most by a step or so.

The ref came over to him then, which is not confrontational on Mourinho's part. Every manager gives out about refereeing decisions numerous times in every game.
    tomED wrote:
    Agreed that it's not his fault. Still doesn't make his actions understandable.
    It makes it completely understandable. What he feared in his comments before the game was unfolding before his every eyes AGAIN.
    tomED wrote:
    :confused:
    What are you confused about? You accused me of wearing "blue tinted spectacles". I pointed out to you that I am a fan of arguably Chelsea's biggest rivals.
    tomED wrote:
    Seriously man, completely neutral here and as I have said in the past I have always been a fan of Chelsea. Nothings changed there.
    Of course. You are not a bitter United fan, but a complete neutral. The words in your own blog are there for everyone to see. You'll have no problem convincing them.
    tomED wrote:
    I just feel they're are not as exciting as they used to be. And again as said above, I don't neccessarily think that's a bad thing, since it's all about winning and they are doing that.
    What is your point here?
    tomED wrote:
    And yes I do think Chelsea cheated on Tuesday night and yes I think Mourinho has gone a step too far in his comments of late. But from a footballing point of view, I haven't lost any respect for him - there is no doubt he is world class.
    How did they "cheat"? Yes players dived, players off both sides. Yes there were tough challenges, some a little over the top, off both sides.

How does this equate to Chelsea "cheating"? Are Barcelona faultless?
    tomED wrote:
    At the end of the day, I don't see why managers opinions on games, referee's or comments about players should be censored.
    So please then explain to me what stance you are trying to argue here? Because I'm really confused.

On one hand we have "Mourinho is over the top with his comments", on the other it is "He should be allowed say what he likes".
    tomED wrote:
    Making statements about how Barcelona were diving to me sounds like something Arsne Wenger would say and I honestly thought Mourinho was better than that.
    Again, another example of your "neutrality". Good man :rolleyes:

tomED wrote:
    nk Chelsea cheated on Tuesday night

Was nobody else watch Barca or is there a touch of I didn't see it coming in? Deco was easily the worst diver on the pitch, although Drog was particularly bad and any time the ref was involved the Barca lads were in waving imaginary cards. I thought that was supposed to be stamped out!

Unless you think blocking the keeper from making a save counts as a deserving to go through.
    Even if that goal was disallowed they still would have won the game 3-2.

Your original point was that the game at Stamford Bridge was the only one that Chelsea deserved to win. That is wrong. They deserved to win the game that they did 4-2 as well, regardless of whether if the result was 3-2 they wouldn't have progressed in the competition.

you remember what subtractionis ?

even if carvalho did block the keeper chelsea were all over them and deserved to win. 4-2 , 3-2 whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 623 ✭✭✭hawker27

as long as you get the result u need,then who needs style.
    had nothing to do with style for those 3 on rte,its just the love the special one so much:D

chelsea are the force in europe and barca know it end of.

I think anyone who likes good football would have preferred to see the easier on the eye ,stylish team win .
    Its human nature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

hawker27 wrote:
    chelsea are the force in europe and barca know it end of.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41656000/jpg/_41656596_trpphy416jpg.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

when united used to win everything under Fegie everyone used to loveto have a go at him and his mind games afterall thats easier than criticising a winning team of champions... Deja vu!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

when united used to win everything under Fegie everyone used to loveto have a go at him and his mind games afterall thats easier than criticising a winning team of champions... Deja vu!

when united used to win everything fergie could be as arrogant and talk as much smack as he liked

doing it now would just make him look a bit of a clown given that united are not winning everything

so in short, u can sing when ur winning, when ur not winning ur just a loser that talks alot

*edit*

i just realised that person would be neil warnock :D

all talk and no win

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

i was drawing a comparison with Fergie then and Jose now not badmouthing Fergie in any way

It's a pointless conversation if you can't remember the facts. But I'm sure everyone here is bored with our little conversation, so I reckon we should have a pint sometime and discuss it in more detail! :)
    Like I said, I'd have to see it again, but I remember the incident and I'm almost certain he didn't leave the area. Or if he did, it was at most by a step or so.

The ref came over to him then, which is not confrontational on Mourinho's part. Every manager gives out about refereeing decisions numerous times in every game.

He did and I feel it was confrontational.

It makes it completely understandable. What he feared in his comments before the game was unfolding before his every eyes AGAIN.

Yet, you don't think Rijkaard's reaction was understandable when he seen his team get booted off the pitch?

I don't agree that either manager were in their rights to do what they did.
    What are you confused about? You accused me of wearing "blue tinted spectacles". I pointed out to you that I am a fan of arguably Chelsea's biggest rivals.

To suggest Chelsea and Liverpool are biggest rivals is laughable.
    Of course. You are not a bitter United fan, but a complete neutral. The words in your own blog are there for everyone to see. You'll have no problem convincing them.

Yep - I think it's clear to see from my blog that I'm not a bitter united fan. Don't know how much you've read the blog, but obviously not much.
    What is your point here?

I was trying to show you that I actually like Chelsea for the way they used to play football.
    How did they "cheat"? Yes players dived, players off both sides. Yes there were tough challenges, some a little over the top, off both sides.

How does this equate to Chelsea "cheating"? Are Barcelona faultless?

The way I saw it, Chelsea we're doing the majority of the diving and over the top challenges - as it's rule breaking, that's cheating, .....

No I never said Barcelona were faultless, Chelsea just had to do it more when they were losing. I'm sure if the tables were turned, it would have been exactly the same from Barcelona and then I would have been calling Barcelona cheats.
    So please then explain to me what stance you are trying to argue here? Because I'm really confused.

On one hand we have "Mourinho is over the top with his comments", on the other it is "He should be allowed say what he likes".

Well if you slowed down a bit a read the very first post, then go over what I have wrote - you'd get the point.....

Yes, he has been over the top with his comments, I don't think they were called for and they were out of line, but he should be allowed to voice his opinion.

FIFA or UEFA should not try and censor him. Nor should I think he should be fined or sanctioned for having an opinion as per question in first post.
    Again, another example of your "neutrality". Good man :rolleyes:

What has the statement got to do with neutrality and who said it's an example of neutrality????

Advertisement