Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

CAr broken into, window broken, how to replace??

Options
  • 01-11-2006 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Sat night/Sun morn I got up at 06:30 to go to work. I got into my 94 toyota corolla only to find my stereo missing. I was so tired that itm took some time to dawn on me what happened.
    I looked round and saw that the small triangle shaped window to the rear left side of my car was smashed. Also, the front passenger door was tried with a screwdriver or something in the barrel, and my key won't work.

I went up to Higgins breakers yard in Kilcock and found a similar car to mine, (took 40 mins, huge scrapyard). There is a window, but I had no tools, and dont really know how to take out a window. Is it difficult to remove the window and barrel???

Any recommendations on what I should do?? My car is cold and music-less.

Thanks,

Kev

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Where are you based???

The rear small window would probably be a nightmare to take out to be honest so I would imagine getting a pro to change it!! If it was the large window in the door you could DIY it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

I am based in Tallaght, Navan and work in Leixlip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

Hi iv change the little triangle window on an audi 80 and a opel corsa.
    The corsa was easy, its screwed in so got the window fixed for €20
    but for the audi it took some time and patience to get it out in one piece.

You have to take the rubber surround on your car off carefully as you will need to reuse it.
    go to the scrappy with some or all of these.

Stanley knife(long and short if you have them or use the blade withe a pliers)
    cordless angle grinder
    hack saw
    screwdriver
    hammer

remove all the plastic covering on the inside of the car surrounding the window.
    i dont know but it probably insnt screwed in. if you can rent a cordless angle grinder get a cutting blade and cut the body around the window! GO MAD do the fireman on it!!
    if you can cut out the window with the metal attached then it will be easy to remove the glass then reattach to your own car with the origonal rubber using some really good glue and it wil look OK but wont add any value to the car.

if you want to go about it without the use of maniac technique the take a stanley knife or such blade and from the inside or outside slowly cut areound the rubber glue holdintg the window in place as you get it cut around place screwdrivers or such in between the glass and body to bring it out bit by bit. I would higly recommend safety glasses during either of these methods as metal does fly and blades do crack!!!!!

Advertisement