Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car problem

Options
  • 01-11-2006 11:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi
    I have a seat leon thats been giving a problem lately.
    Under breaking occasionally the battery light will come on and the car will lose all power, steering will go etc. Once i get to a standstill i can turn key and it will start again no problem. Car is under warranty but garage have had it a few days and can't find anything at all wrong with it so want to give it back to me. I'm not so keen given the next time it goes i could be doing 50mph and left a sitting duck.
    Anyone any idea's on what it might be, i'm thinking a loose wire that breaks the odd time when i'm breaking but my car knowledge is limited at best.

Presuming they dont find anything does anyone know what garage's responsibility is under warranty. As far as they are concerned there is no problem but I dont want the car back, do i have a foot to stand on!?

Any feedback appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It could be a cracked vacuum hose to the brake servo - I've seen this on lots of VW Polos, Golfs and Boras - especially from 1998-2001. I know the Seat has a similar engine. Check it out and if it's cracked replace it ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Are you coasting to a stop? (i.e. clutching in)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

Check the baterry connections and also the earth (black cable).
    It seems when you brake the engine and other parts are moving causing to loose the electrical connection somewhere.

When the car stops, the connection is made again so the reason you can start it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Could it possibly be the alarm causing it, perhaps it's not earted properly?

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

Does it do it often? If so, then it should be handy enough to find the problem. If it does it very rarely then it could be difficult to track it down simply because you cant fix what you cant see.

Good luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

The garage probably should fix it under warranty, but they have to be able to see the problem first.

Just to rule out the obvious, are you sometimes letting the revs get too low when breaking and simply stalling the engine ?

Advertisement