Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death Metal - Does Anyone Genuinely Like This?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

I'm listening to Like Angels Weeping (The Dark) by Kataklysm at the moment and all I can say is WOW! It's everything I love about DM, that much heavier than metal without being unlistenable. Great melodic riffs as well.

edit : check out Sacramentum also, their album 'Far Away From the Sun' is brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AlanOB

For the most part Death Metal (and in particular Grindcore) is like ear cancer to me. Amelodic, uninspiring crap.

But having said that Unquestionable Presence and Individual Thought Patterns are favourites of mine, particularly the latter (Andy LaRocque is awesome).

No coincidence of course that Atheist and Death are as far from amelodic and uninspiring as you can get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 PureCork

Personally, I love Death Metal. Its not my favourite genre of music, but its not 1 i can ignore for over an hour :)

Try listening to Opeth.. Best (Death Metal) Band ever :P

So Synchronised... Melodic... Sweet...

How can you not like Opeth? :/

Not liking Opeth is about the same as loving dance music on pirate radio stations :(

its wrong! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Now that is the funniest thing I've read all week.

They are, they're very hardcore punk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

They are, they're very hardcore punk.

Ok man, sorry to anyone I offended, thanks for the correction.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Ah, just threw that in there to see how much you knew. (:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭Alucard II

Heh, I do try. ;)

*takes picture of Shane Embury to bathroom*
    is it wrong that i wanted to make a necrophilia-themed joke about Jesse Pintado?

hehe, don't answer that, i know the answer... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

So, Motley Crue, has this thread opened your eyes at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

"...the first person to have mentioned two of my favourite death metal bands, Lykathea Aflame and Bloodbath. The album Elvenfris by Lykathea aflame is possably the single greatest death metal album of all time, an excellent mix of technical prowess and some great rythems, and a good mix of pace's, and the very chilling "Walking In The Garden Of Ma'at" to finish off the album, great song to just sit and think to, the full album racks in at over an hour too, so your getting both quality and quantity by the bucket load, definately an album you should have."

Elvenfris, while a great album, is eclipsed for that accolade by Individual Thought Patterns or TSOP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭neGev

Elvenfris, while a great album, is eclipsed for that accolade by Individual Thought Patterns or TSOP.

I don't think Elvenfris could be topped by any Death album, but if so, I'd think it'd be by Leprosy or Human.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

for me the more extreme stuff is all about the drumming.
    i love the very technical drumming and some stuff can be very hard to replicate
    also the extreme stuff is great live, you cant beat it for a live show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 lld

These two aren't accurate representations of death metal, they're derivative populist garbage with only a glossing of death metal (underneath theyre just rock bands).

Rotting Christ were a black metal band in their earlier years, in their later years they've become a gothic rock band. Their early work is excellent, particularly 'thy mighty contract', but they're not death metal.

Napalm death are a grindcore band (punk played blisteringly fast).
    They've taken on some attributes of death in recent times but are far too political to ever be a death metal band (death metal is about the cold harsh reality of death and is disdainful of the petiness of politics).

Good, representative death metal bands and their key works:
    deicide - 'legion', morbid angel - 'blessed are the sick', therion - 'beyond sanctorum', at the gates - 'the red in the sky is ours', slayer - 'reign in blood'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

lld wrote:
    Good, representative death metal bands and their key works:
    deicide - 'legion', morbid angel - 'blessed are the sick', therion - 'beyond sanctorum', at the gates - 'the red in the sky is ours', slayer - 'reign in blood'.

since when have slayer been death metal? they've never even done blast beats, thrash is the word your looking for

blast beats are the only defining feature of death metal?
    in that case autopsy aen't a death metal band. neither are atheist, cadaver or massacra for that matter.

lets see:
    chromatic riffs, heavy use of tremolo picking to create sustained flows of notes, overt use of death as a lyrical, visual and musical theme.... yup, sounds like a death metal band.

Slayer along with Master, Rigor Mortis, Possessed and Sepultura were a foundational act for death metal. Reign in Blood's riffing style was adopted by practically every death metal band that came after it as a model. Sure, they dont have deep growling vocals or blast beats, but both of these are largely superficial elements of secondary significance to the actual notes being played and besides, were originally elements of grindcore that later became assimilated into death metal.
    Without slayer death metal would not exist as we now know it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

lld wrote:
    Slayer along with Master, Rigor Mortis, Possessed and Sepultura were a foundational act for death metal. Reign in Blood's riffing style was adopted by practically every death metal band that came after it as a model. Sure, they dont have deep growling vocals or blast beats, but both of these are largely superficial elements of secondary significance to the actual notes being played and besides, were originally elements of grindcore that later became assimilated into death metal.

You know, I don't think anyone here is doubting of disputing Thrash metal's influence on Death metal (Although I think you left out Venom as an influence), but in fairness, you can hardly count the influences of a genre amongs it's ranks.

While I'd agree that it's good to know where things have evolved from, and I'd definetly urge a lot of people who may be interested in various extreme metal genres to check out pioneers like Celtic Frost, Mercyful Fate, Possessed, Bathory, and so on, but I think Death Metal has evolved since it's inception, and influential as they are, Slayer don't bare as much resemblance as they used to in the beginning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Ramses

by the way, there's a great section in this months Terrorizer magazine about death metal, also includes a bonus cd with lots of death metal classics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

On the topic of death metal, does anyone listen to Krisiun? I don't often see them mentioned around the internet on forums and stuff but I think they're great. They released their debut in 1995 and have had 6 other albums since!

Videos and mp3's here - http://www.myspace.com/krisiun666

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

lld wrote:
    blast beats are the only defining feature of death metal?
    in that case autopsy aen't a death metal band. neither are atheist, cadaver or massacra for that matter.

lets see:
    chromatic riffs, heavy use of tremolo picking to create sustained flows of notes, overt use of death as a lyrical, visual and musical theme.... yup, sounds like a death metal band.

If you want to argue that Slayer informed death metal fair enough but as the poster above you said (however simplistically) slayer are thrash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

gayopethan4.jpg

had to :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

That is absolutely priceless! I'll give it a vintage:
    Kharn wrote:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Who doesn't love Hammer Smashed Face ? :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭LightofDarkness

I'll agree that Cannibal Corpse and Dying Fetus suck nads. But I won't agree that Slayer are death metal. THose non-critical trappings you mentioned are some of the things Slayer lack which prevent them from totally plunging into the death metal mould. And for the recrod, a large of amount of death metal fans don't consider Possessed death metal even (some have suggested hyper thrash), especially when you consider the direction taken by the genre since then.

As regards good examples of the genre, I guess I'd say check out Pavor, Lykathea Aflame, Cryptopsy, Necrophagist, Death, Cynic, Amorphis, Infester, Incantation, Morbid Angel (try and stcik to pre-Domination. Icky.), Liers in Wait, Aborted, Deicide, Gorod, Continuo Renacer, Martyr(Canadian, mind. New album = sex), Sleep Terror, Immolation, Suffocation, Arsis, Arghoslent, Gory Blister, Atheretic, Before God, Bloodbath, Deeds of Flesh, Luciferion, Illogicist, Ingurgitating Oblivion (for the Morbid Angel fans), Mithras, Origin (really more grindy, but cool enough), Vile, Scent of Flesh and a little Theory in Practice for good measure. So there you have it. A long Island Iced Tea of death metal, each band cherry picked as a good example from respective sub genres of death metal, from brutal to melodic to just plain death. Drink it, and be drunk with the power that is death metal.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

I've been listening to Catamenia and Insomnium recently and can recommend them both highly.

I'll agree that Cannibal Corpse and Dying Fetus suck nads. But I won't agree that Slayer are death metal. THose non-critical trappings you mentioned are some of the things Slayer lack which prevent them from totally plunging into the death metal mould. And for the recrod, a large of amount of death metal fans don't consider Possessed death metal even (some have suggested hyper thrash), especially when you consider the direction taken by the genre since then.
    I won't deny that both possessed and slayer have each got one foot in the speed/thrash camp, but to me it seems they've got all the important things covered that would make them a death metal band. perhaps at least we can call them proto-death?
    Cryptopsy, Amorphis, Infester, Incantation, Morbid Angel, Deicide, Immolation, Suffocation, Deeds of Flesh, So there you have it.
    Crap removed ; ) .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

lld wrote:
    I won't deny that both possessed and slayer have each got one foot in the speed/thrash camp, but to me it seems they've got all the important things covered that would make them a death metal band. perhaps at least we can call them proto-death?

Crap removed ; ) .

oh sweet jesus "proto-death" - WTF, seriously WTF

another bloody label?

suppose I might aswell direct you here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055004724

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Duff Man Jr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭kevin_de_big

Everybody into melodic/technical death should check arsis out. I really can't word how excellent I think they are.

www.worshipdepraved.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Den_M wrote:
    I've been listening to Catamenia and Insomnium recently and can recommend them both highly.

I saw insomnium live with enslaved, zyklon, 1349. They didnt impress me that much but maybe they're a lot better on record

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭LightofDarkness

lld wrote:

Crap removed ; ) .

I'm imagining you're supposed to be a late eighties, early nineties only death metal fan, but if so why are Liers in Wait crap? Gory Blister and Demonicon by Luciferion? Are you just saying crap removed or assuming if you haven't heard them they must suck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Autobot Killa

i love death metal, not as much as i love black metal, but none the less is still love it, everything from Carcass to Morbid Angel to Death to the Gothenburg/Stockholm scene/sound with the likes of Entombed and Opeth.

Advertisement