Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death Metal - Does Anyone Genuinely Like This?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

gline wrote:
    hmm i dunno, if i want to listen to deathmetal i put on deathmetal.....not prog

Personally, I'd be the oppossite.

I do like bands that are straight up Death Metal, such as Cryptopsy, Deicide, or Decapitated for example, but I kinda have to be in the right mood for it, because a lot of times a straight ahead blastbeat right the way through an album will bore me.

I far prefer bands such as the aforementioned Death and Opeth, aswell as Atheist, Cynic, Pestilence, Morbid Angel, and suchlike. In my opinion Death Metal works a lot better when it's punctuated by songs like Voice Of The Soul, or Hatework, as opposed to all out brutality, which can be tedious. It's all about dynamics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭bubonicus

What do people see in Death metal??

What do people see in pop music??

And on the subject of different genres of metal. When my mates and I where talking about genres of different metal 15 years ago we gave up trying to sub classify it. We just called it all "Bum cream Metal". or "Washing Machine Metal".

What difference does it make. Like it or not.

it's all one song!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Personally, I'd be the oppossite.

I do like bands that are straight up Death Metal, such as Cryptopsy, Deicide, or Decapitated for example, but I kinda have to be in the right mood for it, because a lot of times a straight ahead blastbeat right the way through an album will bore me.

I far prefer bands such as the aforementioned Death and Opeth, aswell as Atheist, Cynic, Pestilence, Morbid Angel, and suchlike. In my opinion Death Metal works a lot better when it's punctuated by songs like Voice Of The Soul, or Hatework, as opposed to all out brutality, which can be tedious. It's all about dynamics.

thats what different types of music are for, personally im not mad into the way bands play lots of different styles together, i like a band ot play 1 style then if i get bored i just listen to a different band. gets rather annoying when you are listening to a nice heavy song and then it breaks into an acoustic bit... granted it can be good sometimes, but i like things to be seperated.....
    different strokes for different folks i suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

I'd be with Karl on that one, whilst all out death is fine I reckon time changes, acoustic guitar and melodies offsets the brutality well, hence I enjoyed the Opeth album. I reckon Fear Factory were probably the first to mix "clean" and death roaring.?

bubonicus wrote:
    What do people see in Death metal??

What do people see in pop music??

And on the subject of different genres of metal. When my mates and I where talking about genres of different metal 15 years ago we gave up trying to sub classify it. We just called it all "Bum cream Metal". or "Washing Machine Metal".

What difference does it make. Like it or not.

it's all one song!!

Please, lets not get into a genre debate here again, we've already slugged through that subject here. Go contribute to that thread.
    gline wrote:
    thats what different types of music are for, personally im not mad into the way bands play lots of different styles together, i like a band ot play 1 style then if i get bored i just listen to a different band. gets rather annoying when you are listening to a nice heavy song and then it breaks into an acoustic bit... granted it can be good sometimes, but i like things to be seperated.....
    different strokes for different folks i suppose

I suppose you're right in your supposition.

Although I find the idea that one band should stick to one style awful. How do things evolve without cross pollination?

That kinda thing is what ruined Black Metal. So we had a few luminaries like Emperor, Immortal, Enslaved and the like who were doing really cool things, but the whole thing about "True" Black Metal and what the genre should sound like ended up with the whole scene being flooded with a load of clone bands all sucking off Darkthrone. Infact, I kinda blame Darkthrone, that twat Fenriz has been very outspoken on what's "True" or not. Meanwhile, all the originality was squeezed from the genre.
    buck65 wrote:
    I'd be with Karl on that one, whilst all out death is fine I reckon time changes, acoustic guitar and melodies offsets the brutality well, hence I enjoyed the Opeth album. I reckon Fear Factory were probably the first to mix "clean" and death roaring.?

I don't really know who started it off, but I do know that My Dying Bride had been doing a mix of clean and distorted vocals long before Fear Factory came along.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭bubonicus

sry.All i read was posts about what band is what genre, i must have misread the thread.

I don't really know who started it off, but I do know that My Dying Bride had been doing a mix of clean and distorted vocals long before Fear Factory came along.

in fact i think there may have been lots more bands doing this before fear factory. Yeh i dont agree with the "true" label on genres, but it just annoys me now the amount of bands "cross polinating", when all i want to do is get a cd from a death metal band and listen to it and for it to be pure deathmetal and not a cross between loads of different types... if i want prog il listen to prog, if i want pure deathmetal then il listen to a deathmetal band..... but like i said, different strokes

gline wrote:
    in fact i think there may have been lots more bands doing this before fear factory. Yeh i dont agree with the "true" label on genres, but it just annoys me now the amount of bands "cross polinating", when all i want to do is get a cd from a death metal band and listen to it and for it to be pure deathmetal and not a cross between loads of different types... if i want prog il listen to prog, if i want pure deathmetal then il listen to a deathmetal band..... but like i said, different strokes

Well there are plenty of straight up 100% brutal Death Metal bands out there, so I don't see what you've got to complain about.

Go listen to the new Cannibal Corpse album, you won't find any prog in there. Have you listened to Decapitated? Vader? Cryptopsy? Myrkskog?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 lld

I'm imagining you're supposed to be a late eighties, early nineties only death metal fan, but if so why are Liers in Wait crap? Gory Blister and Demonicon by Luciferion? Are you just saying crap removed or assuming if you haven't heard them they must suck.
    I'm a fan exclusively of quality, irrespective of time-frame.

some of the bands you listed that I removed werent crap per se, just not in the same league as those that were left when the list was reduced.

Decapitated? Cryptopsy?

yeh listen to the bands above, not bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

lld wrote:
    I'm a fan exclusively of quality, irrespective of time-frame.

some of the bands you listed that I removed werent crap per se, just not in the same league as those that were left when the list was reduced.

And how, praytell, are you qualified to judge other people's taste?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

They do a H. Dip. in DCU in tastology

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

You can use it as a fast track into their BA in Connoiseurics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,216 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Interesting thread.
    Personally, this is a genre of music I have never been able to break into. And I listen to a LOT of music.
    Not because it's too brutal. Or Hard on my ears. It's because it just seems...silly. Not as silly as Black Metal mind you. That stuff has me on the floor laughing like I dont know what.
    It just seems like a continuation on of teenage angst into adulthood. Attempting to be all angry and moody and trying to find something to shout about. It would be excusable if it were 17 year old boys. But grown men? Come on.

Glen Benton from Deicide for example. What the hell is he so angry about? Changing his kids nappies? Trying to pay his mortgage? Realizing the inverted cross on his forehead makes him look like a moron?

I remember listening to Opeth years ago when I was but an impressionable teen.It started of..I quite liked what i was hearing. Then the growling started. Then I started laughing.

I'm not flaming by the way ;) I just genuinely cant listen to this as I keep laughing at how childish it all seems. What makes it worse is how seriously they all seem to take it. Maybe someone could in fact enlighten me? Am i missing something?

Odd, I was about to say
    "hey John, You like Coil?"
    Clicked your last.fm account and realized I've actually spoken to you about that before. How bizarre.

o1s1n wrote:
    Glen Benton from Deicide for example. What the hell is he so angry about?

Christianity. I thought all the anti-christian lyrics would make that one obvious. ;)

Anywho, it might sound a bit on the ironic side, but Death Metal has never been about being angry for me. It's not about agression, but rather intensity, energy. You know?

So yeah, there's people like Glen Benton who are pissed off, and fair enough if you find that silly (And hey, they idea that an adult cannot be angry is a ridiculous one, but that's a whole other arguement right there.) but there's plenty of bands out there who do their thing with tongue placed firmly in cheek. Take Strapping Young Lad for example, they do their brutal thing with a smile and a laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

o1s1n wrote:
    Interesting thread.
    Personally, this is a genre of music I have never been able to break into. And I listen to a LOT of music.
    Not because it's too brutal. Or Hard on my ears. It's because it just seems...silly. Not as silly as Black Metal mind you. That stuff has me on the floor laughing like I dont know what.
    It just seems like a continuation on of teenage angst into adulthood. Attempting to be all angry and moody and trying to find something to shout about. It would be excusable if it were 17 year old boys. But grown men? Come on.

Glen Benton from Deicide for example. What the hell is he so angry about? Changing his kids nappies? Trying to pay his mortgage? Realizing the inverted cross on his forehead makes him look like a moron?

I remember listening to Opeth years ago when I was but an impressionable teen.It started of..I quite liked what i was hearing. Then the growling started. Then I started laughing.

I'm not flaming by the way ;) I just genuinely cant listen to this as I keep laughing at how childish it all seems. What makes it worse is how seriously they all seem to take it. Maybe someone could in fact enlighten me? Am i missing something?

Odd, I was about to say
    Clicked your last.fm account and realized I've actually spoken to you about that before. How bizarre.

No form of music is silly, death or black metal included. It's the case that the bands choose to sing and play about things that may seem silly to you, may be tongue-in-cheek or serious, but it's their music. To be honest, it's about energy, technique and motive, for me, in that they talk about things no other genre does, do it with power and force, and write cracking tunes along the way.

o1s1n wrote:
    Odd, I was about to say

It's a small internet :)

I can see why some bands seem silly in any genre. Especially Deicide because they are a silly band. But you get that with every genre, bands who take themselves too seriously but don't have the talent or the vision to make this seriousness work. However, like in every genre there are some great artists that make the seriousness work. My €0.02.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

No form of music is silly,
    I'd argue that, some power metal stuff is simply too rediculous to be taken in any way seriously, special note to the likes of Sabaton or Terásbetoni, granted their probably my favourite 2 power metal bands, but thats because of their rediculous sillyness (cant listen to death/black all day every day, a bit of cheese is a good change of pace).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

I love death metal but not the crap nowadays like Cannibal corpse and Nile, and Napalm death are not death metal, they are in fact Grindcore. I like death metal bands such as Cynic, Morbid angel, Death (RIP Chuck). Also i like a few GOOD modern death metal bands such as Decapitated, Bloodbath and Aborted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 PlatonicDisease

Hi guys..I just joined these boards today and absolutely couldn't resist diving into these thread straight away.

I've been a fervent fan of Death Metal ever since I first started seriously seeking out and buying the stand-out records by what later became my all-time favourite DM bands. I began loving classic, top-flight thrash metal first and later veered towards the heavier, more savage brands of extreme metal. Indeed, I often think that a long and committed "fan's" association with premium thrash metal can be, for most real Metal fans everywhere, the most natural and great way to genuinely embrace top-tier death metal. Sure it can be an 'acquired' taste as many guys often point out. I just think a prior grounding in and burning passion for the best in thrash really help a guy dig quality DM. It sure happened that way for me. I mean it was my primary manic devotion to thrash titans like Slayer, Exodus, Kreator, early-Anthrax, early-Megadeth, Dark Angel, Testament, Overkill, Voivod and later groove-thrash masters Pantera, to name just some of my favourite few that later made early DM such a God-sent blessing for a fan like myself, when thrash seemed to be decelerating into a stand-still, with only a handful of bands having the guts and intentions to continue in the same vein as they had done before in the early '80s...

I love death metal for tons of reasons. It just gives me such a tremendous buzz that I can't really describe in an adequate way on a message board. I've always been awed by the sheer virtuosity of its players and just how incredibly gifted most of them are. Especially the drummers, as is obvious to most DM fans by now. Getting used to the vocals didn't take too long for me either. As much as the lyrics are inherently undecipherable, I just often regard DM singers' voices as another fantastic, awesome instrument that adds to the overall power and glory of the band's music. I love guys like John Tardy, Frank Mullen, Brett Hoffman and of course the irreplaceable Chuck Schuldiner (RIPforever)...Superb vocalists that made their respective bands that much greater. Yea, there's just the amazing technical prowess, the sheer brutality, heaviness and menace and all that top-tier DM players help define the genre they have made their own. I'm aware that there are tons of atrocious, absolute losers and wanna-bes among the ranks of DM that surfaced soon after the pioneering legends first set the trail ablaze in the late-80s. But that hardly detracts anything from the genre, overall. Pop, classic rock et al have all their lousy excesses, self-parodying crap. DM is much more defined by its finest exponents. And frankly, I find it highly ludicrous and hypocritical how self-righteous fans or reviewers slam the "lyrical content" of DM records. They can get off their high horses and listen to 'Titney' Spears or candy-rock on radio to take care of their fragile sensitivities. Honestly, is it so hard for fans and critics to realize that DM musicians never promote gross misanthropy, gory homicide, suicide, and whatever other imaginary dark, deathly attitudes or deeds their 'lyrics' supposedy convey, according to their ignorant and hypocritical critics.??...

Personally, I'm really an almost exclusivist fan of pure classic American death metal, namely the Florida greats like Death, Obituary, Morbid Angel, Malevolent Creation and a few more upstarts from DM's state of birth... And I hugely admire some from New York---Suffocation is permanently in my Top 3 all-time DM heroes. I love Brutal DM a lot. It's awesome by every standard in my book. However, I somehow can't stand Cannibal Corpse and regard it as an unwelcome (and inferior and insipid) intruder in the brutal DM scene. I never quite embraced the overtly melodic, much too progressive Scandanavian brand of DM much at all. Sure, it helped DM as a unique metal genre, progress and develop further, but I never really liked or enjoyed the 'Swedish' a.k.a 'Swedecore' style of DM. And while I don't totally reject "progressive" tendencies in DM bands, for me, it somehow fails to float my boat, even much less so than was the case for me listening to progressive forays in thrash by the bands I love most. I mean Chuck's band Death was probably the classic example of what being 'progressive' in DM really ought to mean(or what it means to me at least). I like grindcore and some hardcore punk too, not all of it, but there are some really exciting and fun stuff to get into and revel in. I'm not much of a Black Metal fan. Except bits and pieces of material from some like Venom, Celtic Frost, Mayhem, or Behemoth, King Diamond. That's really about it. As extreme as BM can be (more so in image and posturing than the actual music), I have always felt that Death Metal (Florida, NYDM, Brutal) was the infinitely superior extreme metal, offering me several more brilliant players, bands, albums and my personal joys and thrills. DM, almost single-handedly kept the Metal flag flying highest atop the hill during the 1990s.

When it comes to metal music, which is what I love most and listen to most frequently, I still only listen to my most loved thrash and death metal bands and records regularly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Great post mate. Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

Ok, I dont want to open a can of worms with this, and you realise by my name that im not going to be the one telling you that Death Metal is crap. Its a musical art form, very successful, and I apprichate Music in all its forms.

That being said, I have to ask why people listen to this music, again not because I think its crap but because I genuinely want to know what it is about the most extreme Grindcore and Death Metal that actually attracts people. A few examples, ive posted below, show various examples of those kinds of bands that im speaking about.

I apologise in advance to anyone whom I offend, mostly those who will become extremely displeased that ive placed some of these bands under the Death Metal genre blanket, and will verbally assault me for doing so.

Napalm Death http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=2311677
    Cannibal Corpse http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=34783325
    Dying Fetus http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=6496929
    Mayhem http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=19591042
    Rotting Christ http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=76416358

No - only young angry teenagers or young adulkts listen to it, however the majority of these will get sense one day and find happiness and think nah its a load of codswallop really!

empirix wrote:
    No - only young angry teenagers or young adulkts listen to it, however the majority of these will get sense one day and find happiness and think nah its a load of codswallop really!

:rolleyes:

empirix wrote:
    load of codswallop really!

You certainly seem the expert on that, you sure seem to speak it a lot.

You certainly seem the expert on that, you sure seem to speak it a lot.
    Happiness will find you one day. Peace

empirix wrote:

We live in hope, Happiness is the name of the hitman I hired.

empirix wrote:

I've very little patience for idiots who stumble onto a thread, blurt out some ridiculous statement in seemingly complete ignorance of what's already been discussed.

So please, if you can't engage in a discussion properly and stupifying retorts like the one above are all you can muster, piss off elsewhere, because you're lowering the average of brain cells around here.

I've very little patience for idiots who stumble onto a thread, blurt out some ridiculous statement in seemingly complete ignorance of what's already been discussed.

So please, if you can't engage in a discussion properly and stupifying retorts like the one above are all you can muster, piss off elsewhere, because you're lowering the average of brain cells around here.

Don't call me ignorant, i was in fact in a well known Irish metal band, many moons ago now, who supported the then mighty Carcass(heard of em) amongst others in MCGonagles(somewhere you probably never even heard of) and was going to metal gigs befoire you were out of playschool(going by your pic). I am simply stating a fact, the vast majority grow out of death/thrash metal, even a few memebrs of big death/thrash metal bands do do so and realise what a load of codswallop it really is to not know what the hell the singer is saying, as well as apart from the evil satan crap and don't even get me started on black metal bands - morons is too kind. Now go back playing with your lego, patronising clown

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Amazing lyrics - yeah right!

• Advertisement

empirix wrote:
    Don't call me ignorant, i was in fact in a well known Irish metal band, many moons ago now, who supported the then mighty Carcass(heard of em) amongst others in MCGonagles(somewhere you probably never even heard of) and was going to metal gigs befoire you were out of playschool(going by your pic). I am simply stating a fact, the vast majority grow out of death/thrash metal, even a few memebrs of big death/thrash metal bands do do so and realise what a load of codswallop it really is to not know what the hell the singer is saying, as well as apart from the evil satan crap and don't even get me started on black metal bands - morons is too kind. Now go back playing with your lego, patronising clown

I will call you ignorant, because that's exactly what you are being.

The impression I'm getting from you is that because you were into it back in the day and since grew out of it, everyone else must come to the same logical conclusion, or therefor they are angsty teenagers. :rolleyes:
    "There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Amazing lyrics - yeah right!

Thanks for displaying your ignorance, it's not song lyrics at all.

Advertisement