Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death Metal - Does Anyone Genuinely Like This?

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

I'm aware that many among us on these fantastic message boards are not equally fantastic spellers. But hey, m_stan, could you seriously refer to "thrash" metal as "trash"? :confused: That can't be an endearing nickname for such a supreme brand of metal music, can it??... And lemme point out that you are certainly not the first fan I've encountered that curiously chooses to misspell 'thrash' as 'trash' in text. Non-fans could be forgiven for pouncing at you guys for calling something 'trash' when you really don't consider it to be so..

sincere apologies for the unintended typo and to any offence, hurt or anguish it caused any tHrash fans here, including myself. post edited. now back on point ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

m_stan wrote:
    sincere apologies for the unintended typo and to any offence, hurt or anguish it caused any tHrash fans here, including myself. post edited. now back on point ...

now let settle it once and for all is it

sep-ul-tura or sepultra :)

I always hated when people used the second pronunciation - there is a "u" in the word - use it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

SEP

UL

TURA

as the band pronounce it, so be it, says I. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 PlatonicDisease

Ph3n0m wrote:
    now let settle it once and for all is it

sep-ul-tura or sepultra :)

I always hated when people used the second pronunciation - there is a "u" in the word - use it :)

It's most definitely pronounced "sep-ul-tura" and NOT the somewhat Anglicised latter version with the missing last 'u'. If I recall correctly the word actually means the "grave" in Portuguese, as a young girl cum Sepultura fan from Rio De Janeiro once told me many years ago.

To m_stan: No problem mate! Judging by the writing from the rest of your post I was almost certain that in your case, it was only really a silly 'typo'. My comment was about how I have seen this slight but serious mangling of 'thrash' into 'trash' on numerous occasions on message boards, album reviews and even heaven knows, the word come out of the mouths of otherwise frantic, English-speaking thrash fans in many places.

And you obviously caused me no offence at all. Even if some guy INTENTIONALLY called 'thrash' as 'trash', it wouldn't hurt my feelings at all. My love for thrash metal wouldn’t be dented by another non-fan’s opinions. And you say you are a thrash fan yourself and you didn't intend to rubbish a genre that a lot of us swear by. cheers buddy!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

oh the sheer love of it all PlatonicDisease. Do stop :D

re: Sepultra vs Sepultura, I personally feel that this is down to north-side Dubliners (me being very much one of them) accents producing something that sounds like sepulCHRA and an unwillingness to use the proper pronunciation and sound like a twat !

Either way, weren't they great - whatever they were called ? Their tribal drum beats are ringing in my head just thinking about the gig in the SFX in 199.... whatever ???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Sepultura were a great band (I've kind of lost track of them recently) actually met them outside the SFX in 92 on Arise tour (Ithink) very nice bunch and drank a beer with the bassist.
    Listened to the album Against last night and its quite decent even without Max.
    In their day Sepultura rivalled Slayer and Metallica for sheer quality and out performed both in a live setting.
    Possibly the best thrash/death metal / punk band ever?
    Had an absolutely cool image with the snow combats and didn't need satan to sell their albums.
    In order of brilliance
    1. Beneath the Remains
    2. Chaos AD
    3. Arise
    4. Scizophrenia
    5. Roots

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

m_stan wrote:
    re: Sepultra vs Sepultura, I personally feel that this is down to north-side Dubliners (me being very much one of them) accents producing something that sounds like sepulCHRA and an unwillingness to use the proper pronunciation and sound like a twat !
    It happens up this end of the country too. It is the most annoying mispronunciation I think I have ever come across. People saying Man U come in a close second. :mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Sep
    ul
    tour
    a

*chants*

Advertisement