Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netsource / Magnet DNS problems last night?

Options
  • 01-11-2006 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭

Did anybody else experience DNS issues with netsource / magnet last night?

I could access boards.ie, but no hosting365 sites or most of the internet for that matter.

Tried resetting router, using different PC's / operatng systems etc. no difference. Magnet first line support just want to tell me that it must be a problem on my PC despite the fact that two laptops one running linux, the other XP and a linux palmtop couldn't access more than a handfull of websites.

Looks like netsource's previously excellent service and support has been replaced with magnet mediocrity.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Yes, and worse last night (Thursday 2/11.) Partially a DNS issue although not only, sites that resolved (in the cache) were still painfully slow, and at one point seemed to stop working altogether. I suspect it is a general routing issue and maybe only seems like a DNS one as the issue makes their DNS servers unreachable (tried manually setting alternative non-netsource DNS servers but they were also unreachable.)

Traceroutes only got as far as the first machine beyond my router which was an IP I don't remember seeing before. Teleneting to that IP got me a login screen.

I hope this isn't the start of a downward spiral since the takeover as they were super-reliable before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

i had the same problem last night and couldn't figure it out. i left it till this morning and everything seems fine. yesterday was my first day with magnet as the line has just been installed, i hope this isn't an indication of the service i'll be getting!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

I was talking to magnet support this morning, got a very competent and helpful girl on the phone, she explained that they are implementing load balancing and have had some glitches on the DNS front with the integration of netsource and leap customers.

Last night was a seperate issue - a fibre cut. I am happier now that I know what is going on i.e. my router is not losing the plot!

We could always try to use another DNS, unless there is filtering we probably are not restricted to our own providers DNS.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I tried with an alternative DNS last night and it didn't help, hardly likely with a fibre cut! I can use alternative DNS servers normally no problems though so if a DNS issue reappears that would indeed be a good thing to try.

Thanks for the report fenris, hope we have now seen the end of this, netsource were always so reliable compared to the horror stories you hear about other ISPs. (I think the fact that they _were_ primarily a business ISP helped a lot with relatively few users contending in the evenings/weekends.)

Advertisement