Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computers with PC connection

Options
  • 01-11-2006 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, I was thinking of wasting money on an expensive logging computer so would welcome any suggestions. I would like something with an altimeter and that logs data over the course of a ride. Cadence and heart monitor would be a plus. Currently thinking of something like this. It's a good bit cheaper in the states incidentally. Any personal experiences or pointers to reviews would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I didn't ever want one of those things until I read about it there.
    Why did you have to go and post that?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

If you happen to have a phone with bluetooth and can run java apps, get a bluetooth gps reciever. Around 60 euro off ebay. Several free java mobile phone applications for recording speed/distance/height etc. Get a cheaper device then for the cadence/heart rate.

A gps will not be as accurate as a wheel attached device though for measuring speed.

Gav

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

This thing uses standard magnetic sensors for speed/cadence, the GPS is for plotting your course. The altimeter is barometric, I think it just uses GPS to assist in calibration. I do like the idea of it all being integrated into a single device; it is designed specifically for the bike and so supposedly has good logging capabilities (e.g. I gather it will log speed/cadence/altitude/heart rate etc. across the entire course.)

I _think_ at least someone on boards has experience of this sort of thing, there is another non-Garmin non-GPS model with altimeter that does similar logging and produces nice graphs etc. I can't remember what it was called or the guy's site but I remember from looking at it it wasn't much cheaper (and lacked the cool GPS-related features this thing has.)

From the reviews I have seen the main drawback of this thing is that it doesn't do GPS map navigation at all, it just tracks your course so you can look over it later or do it again (e.g. it will tell you how you are doing over your course compared to the last time you did it.)

King Raam- I know, I didn't know it existed until I went searching on Wiggle for some winter gloves and shoes!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

The Polar S725X is a HRM with a cycling focus. It measures altitude. The cadence sensor is supposedly an optional extra.
    See it on the main Polar site.

A friend has the S625X running HRM. A pod fits on his shoe laces and measures running distance and speed. No need for a (relatively) heavy GPS module.

Advertisement