Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Sabotage - thanks eircom!

Options
  • 01-11-2006 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi

I have had BT broadband for the last 2 years with almost no technical hassle (lets forget about their rubbish customer service). Since Friday my broadband has been dead, I rang them us last night and they blamed eircom for not fixing the problem as its the eircom network thats at fault. They couldnt even tell me when it would be fixed. Im based in Limerick City. Has anyone else had this problem? What can I do (other than move to digiweb wireless)?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭motormouthmable

Limerick here as well! same problem.

Ah, now it's Eircom. On Sunday it was a BT cable according to the BT hotline. Perlico BB is not working either (same problem) according to a friend. Thinking about cancelling that BB service too and getting wireless IBB or Metro (digiweb).

how did you got managed to get through to the hotline? if i ring there is not even this "we are experiencing problems bla bla message. it only rings and nothing happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 sl05

I spent about 30 mins on the phone trying to get through 3 times, left a callback, and they actually rang me back about an hour later. Like you have said, they said it isnt just BT customers being hit by this, I wonder are if there are any Limerick eircom broadband users out there.... has their service been affected?

SMART is working in Father Russel Road/ Raheen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Not sure how much help this is, as I'm not with eircom, but I am in Limerick and Smart's BB is working fine here.....

Im out in Corbally, and it is very dead. Whats worrying is that theres no sign of it been fixed

• Advertisement

a friend of mine is working for the Perlico hotline (don't ask...) and they are told not to tell their customers that it is an eircom fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

a friend of mine is working for the Perlico hotline (don't ask...) and they are told not to tell their customers that it is an eircom fault.
    What do they tell them? Do they know what the problem is?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭BlueDrax

Limerick City Center and my BT broadband is working fine.

kaizersoze wrote:
    What do they tell them? Do they know what the problem is?

they tell the customers there is a fibre broken and they have no update yet how long it will take to fix it.
    BlueDrax wrote:
    Limerick City Center and my BT broadband is working fine.

:eek: wha? BT? no problems so far? or different BB provider?

update from the PERLICO hotline: no news about fixing, it will probably stay dsiconnected for a few more days.

• Advertisement

thats a disgrace, I need that for work in the evenings, time to say bye bye to BT / eircom, time to get wireless!

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭JustMac

Same issue in Tralee/Kerry. Was talking with a mate, who is a stonethrow away, who has Eircom and he said his braodband is working fine. Rang the BT hotline and they rang back. Broken fibre optic cable in Castlebar, no certainty when it would be fixed maybe a couple of days. Its a joke that they wouldn't even provide free dial-up in the interim.

If eircom think that people will go back to them on the illusionary basis that BT and others cant provide a service then they must be delusional! At the end of the day, they are still getting money from me through BT. I dont believe for one second that there is a technical problem that would keep my broadband down for FIVE DAYS!, sounds like eircom are sabotaging BTs (and others) customers so that some people might go back to them.
    The government should step in to stop this nonsense, and dispense with a weak regulator they set up to wash their hands of the whole thing while they are at it.
    Its painful enough to have to endure 2Mb broadband when the rest of europe is way ahead, but unfortunately we are being held back by a bunch of losers!

I am just curious about the next BT billing. Will they exclude those offline days from the bill? If not - my second name is Pandora and I will open my box towardds them!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

sl05 wrote:
    If eircom think that people will go back to them on the illusionary basis that BT and others cant provide a service then they must be delusional! At the end of the day, they are still getting money from me through BT. I dont believe for one second that there is a technical problem that would keep my broadband down for FIVE DAYS!, sounds like eircom are sabotaging BTs (and others) customers so that some people might go back to them.
    The government should step in to stop this nonsense, and dispense with a weak regulator they set up to wash their hands of the whole thing while they are at it.
    Its painful enough to have to endure 2Mb broadband when the rest of europe is way ahead, but unfortunately we are being held back by a bunch of losers!

why?

do you know what the problem is?

if its on eircoms side, its probably been down for 5 days cos they have been off for 3 of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

sl05 wrote:
    Hi

I have had BT broadband for the last 2 years with almost no technical hassle

Thanks

I know its hassle , but it was a holiday weekend , and someone broke a line with one of jcb/caterpillars finest but if you want internet access with a guaranteed sla i'd imagine it would be a good few euros more than you are paying now.

What makes me wonder is the fact that the status of the line is "up" and all this DSL and ATM test passed except the "Authentication". And this is since last Friday.

If there is a line broken then it should be "on" or "off" but not in between, shouldn't it?.

If you unplug the power cable to a lamp then the bulb is "off" but not "dark but getting warm"...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭Pansy Potter

sl05 wrote:
    sounds like eircom are sabotaging BTs (and others) customers so that some people might go back to them.

BT and all ther other DSL providers (not Smart) are resellers of eircom's product. If a line is broken it is broken for eircom's customers too. They can't just pick and choose what to repair. The long weekend probably exacerbated the problem.

there are reports here in the forum that eircom customer next door to BT customers do have broadband whereas BT customers don't...

BT and all ther other DSL providers (not Smart) are resellers of eircom's product. If a line is broken it is broken for eircom's customers too. They can't just pick and choose what to repair. The long weekend probably exacerbated the problem.

As stated above, it looks like eircom customers seem to be sitting pretty, whilst the res of us are dead in the water, the facts speak for themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

BT and all ther other DSL providers (not Smart) are resellers of eircom's product. If a line is broken it is broken for eircom's customers too. They can't just pick and choose what to repair.
    Your BT session requires a username and password. That authentication isn't done at your exchange, it requires a connection back to a central authentication server. If whatever connection BT has from your exchange (or indeed, to that region) to wherever the relevant authentication server lives is down, then BT customers can be down even if eircoms customers are up.

That sounds like what has happened here.

It's working! And it just took 6 days to fix it...

Advertisement