Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best way to get new insurance?

Options
  • 01-11-2006 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭

Right so I passed my test yesterday! Hurrah.
    Now I was with Quinn Direct for 1 1/2 years.
    Insurance this year is roughly 1000.
    Im 30.
    So I ring up Quinn Direct and say I passed my test.
    My insurance is up in March 2007 so they say I get 120 euro back within the next 10 days.

Happy days.

Now I checked online for a quote with my current details and it comes up as 569.

So should I just cancel my current contract with them and sign up to a new quote?

Will I get anything back if I cancel the current contract?
    (Given that Im already getting the 120 euro anyway)

Thanks!
    M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Is the €569 quote with 1 or 2 years NCB? Assuming your insurance is due for renewal at the start of March 2007 they are refunding you €120 for 4 months, which is €360pa. You are therefore paying €640pa for the next 4 months, as opposed to €569 if you cancel & take out new insurance. On the other hand, you lose your 8 months NCB from this year. On balance, I'd stay with Quinn till renewal and shop around then.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭CPG

Call back, and get a quote as a "New customer", its usually cheaper than a renewal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭NeiloMac

Well I just passed my test as well, Im 25,

Rang them(quinn-direct) and they told me nothing would come off it, I just renewed it there september, Should i cancel and get a new quote off another company,

Did an on-line quote thing and it came up 200 cheaper, I am paying monthly can i just cancel it, or do i have to stick it for the year,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

CPG wrote:
    Call back, and get a quote as a "New customer", its usually cheaper than a renewal.

Why is that ?

Why would a renewal be more than a new customer ??

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

If it's renewal time, then you can just cancel your current policy and get a new quote.
    KTRIC wrote:
    Why is that ?

I think it's because they just factor in NCB in the renewal quote, they don't factor in that you're a year older and whatever. I reckon they also probably figure that a lot of people will just accept their renewal quote and won't bother to shop around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

KTRIC wrote:
    Why is that ?

Many insurance companies give extra discounts to new customers. This is why it makes sense to shop around every year at renewal time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

So if I cancel with 4 and 1/2 months left on my policy will I get a refund?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yes.

Though there's an "administration fee" for cancelling. Some companies charge you a reasonable fee, €50 or whatever, others charge you a scandalous fee.

Ring the number on Quinn Direct's website. They'll answer any queries you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭mick4_2000

Lads ring Quinn Direct and tell them that you got a quote from their website thats cheaper give them the quote number and they will match it. Worked for me early this year.;)

Advertisement