Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap CAD/GIS

• 01-11-2006 2:42pm

Just decided to throw this out there...

Would anyone have an information as to whether it is possible to obtain cheap (legal) copies of CAD/GIS anywhere, or whether there is any public location where I can use both? GIS is more of a necessity then CAD, but I'll probably need both for my final year project.

And I assume not, but are there any open source CAD/GIS packages available?

Cheers,

Dónal

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

I'm not totally certain of this but I believe Autodesk supply "Educational Copies" of their software. From what I know they are very cheap and fully functional but when you plot a drawing it leaves a watermark on the plot stating that it was created with an educational copy. You could try contacting Paradigm or Diatec (Last I heard they were both still Autodesk agents but there are probably others too).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

You can also get AutoCad lite - its missing some of the features that the full version has but its cheaper.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Nukem wrote:
    You can also get AutoCad lite - its missing some of the features that the full version has but its cheaper.

AutoCad LT is expensive.

You can download trial versions if you like.

Suppose it depends on how long you need it for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Nukem wrote:

Yeah its expensive buying stuff like that.

What about other options like Mircostation? Or Corel draw? I've used both of these in the States for a bit and was told they are more expensive. But that was a while ago maybe its changed?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭derry

maya
    light space
    blender

all graphics progrms derived from CAD programs and used for CAD

maya free version with watermark
    lightspace not sure

blender totaly free but saves files as .blend

For my college project working on api that will convert CAD .blend into .DSX what CAD or autodesk formats use or vise versa

Go to graphics forum more info there

Derry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

Hi there im looking for a trial version of a Cad software. preferably autocad or microstations as i have experience using them. its for drawing my brothers leaving cert project so i dont need it to be a really long trial

There's a trial of AutoCad here (I didn't know they did trial versions before kearnsr mentioned it!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

thanks for that myth i will download that and see how it goes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

• Advertisement

Myth wrote:
    There's a trial of AutoCad here (I didn't know they did trial versions before kearnsr mentioned it!)

I've a trial version of AutoCAD 2002 in the office. AFAIK they've been doing them for a while. Maybe you had to request them in the past

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

How about ProgeCAD by Progesoft? Reasonable copy of AutoCAD LT, though not as smooth, a few subtle differences and free for non-business use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

I downloaded AutoCad free legally off the internet.
    Its designed for student use.

AutoCad 2007 isnt available but I got AutoCad Electrical 2007 and its the same thing with added features.

Download took approx. 2 hours with broadband connection.

The package expires after 24 months so you wont be able to use it.

Heres the link:

http://students6.autodesk.com

Advertisement