Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FM07 - Who'd you pick?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

Originally when I got the game, I picked Arsenal, but found it kinda easy with them, winning priemership and CL..so decided to restart the game and play as Hearts.

Why?? Kinda bored of always having Celtic or Rangers winning. And thought it would be nice to work with a chairman that actually goes over your head. He wanted a big name player, and when i signed some young South American talent, he went spare and signed 2 Russian players!!

So into the season, won the league cup, and came 3rd in the premier division. So starting the second season, reckon if I either win the league or runnerup, i will just leave them and try bring another team up...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

After two slightly underachieving seasons in League Two, my Wycombe Wanderers side are starting to fulfill their potential. Missed out on a playoff spot on the last day of the season by a single point. Delighted to say though that we are in and around the top four after 10 games of season three.

Gone are the old heads of Tommy Mooney and Big Duncan Ferguson and in have come two young strikers and the experienced James Scowcroft (bagged 4 goals in his first 5 games). Last season's runner up in the 'Signing of the Season' category Kieran McKenna continues to sparkle in midfield, mainly due to his creativity being 20. Other welcome additions have included Bruno N'Gotty at the back for free, Manchester City youngster Michael Johnson on loan as DMF, and former Fulham and Portuguese under 21 star Ricardo Batista. Batista is unbelievable in goal and seriously worth a look for anyone playing in League One or Two. Got him for free as well.

Stil have absolutely no money to spend but I'm making the most of the four season-long loan deals allowed. Fingers crossed for promotion!

(I'm also manager of Australia but it's sh1t because once the current crop start to retire there's no one coming through)

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Wanton

well westham it is.

pre season is going well, althought next friendly is against real madrid.

didnt realise they had so many injured at the start of the season. playing a reserve GK who was for sale when i took over!

decided to try keep hold of tevez and his argie friend and see if i can make a go of it with them.

will report back at mid season!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭lolkelly

michaelman wrote:
    started with Liverpool, bought sol cambell for 4m off pompy.won league and champs league beating werder bremen in final on penalties.the game is far too easy.just started secound season bought jonathon woodgate, dani alves(36million) and theo walcott(11.5m).top of league cruising Walcott is unbelievably good.sold Alonso for 30million to Chelsea.Crouch scored 27 goals in my first season

Im surprised at this. in my first season with lpool, i couldnt get near to chelsea. they went the first 24 games undefeated in the prem! It was sick....also bellamey and kuyt dont score enough. crouch does get a lot though! What was your team????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

Wanton wrote:
    well westham it is.
    decided to try keep hold of tevez and his argie friend and see if i can make a go of it with them.

Tevez just bangs them in for West Ham, and Mascherano sits back well in midfield making the tackles and getting good ratings. But Tevez really is a goal machine. And only gets better too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Dalli.S

started as leed utd,
    got promoted pretty easily 8 draw 5 losses the rest wins.

brought in walker and sutton on frees and they did the job.
    walker is great as a champioship goalie, only conceded 20 in the league. sutton was ok, cresswell scored most my goals.

am finding it annoying in the sense that expiring contract players wont join me even when i have won the league and its obvious that im getting promoted.
    but that has been a problem in every game.
    cant wait to get some money, only wanna make 2/3 signings.

hitzlsperger
    collins john( as fulham have just been relegated) or a different stricker, any suggestions??
    and i want a new centre back.
    Just goot aliadaire on a free as he was released by arsenal.
    i like this touch in the game........

bring on the premiership

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Season One - Promoted fairly comfortably from League One in first position with Nottm Forest.

Season Two - Lingered around the play-off positions for most of the season, ended up with a mid-table finish (9th).

Season Three - Started disastrously and I was around the relegation spots the whole time, wound up being sacked in November. Winter came and went and I was offered and took the Cambridge United job in mid-February with the team in 14th position with 15 games to go in the Conference, no money (£600k in debt), transfer window closed. Went on a sensational run, right until the last game when I beat the team in 2nd to get myself a playoff place and cost them automatic promotion. Won all three playoff games and was promoted.

Season Four - Like with Forest in my second season I lingered around 7th-10th all season but this time I made the playoffs. Again, I won all three games and was promoted. Third promotion in four seasons!

Season Five - Currently in progress, mid-table in League One but not looking like making the playoffs, which is probably a good thing because this squad really isn't going to cut it in the Championship. I'm raking in the money now so hopefully I'll be ready for the big jump come the end of next season. Nottm Forest currently top the division with the majority of players being my signings!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Still in first season with Spurs
    Bought Figo, Harte, and some full back called revelliere

Languaishing mid table at christmas, through to knockout stage of uefa cup...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Dalli.S

Just got my Transfer Budget for my season in the Prem.

£230,000...........

what am i meant to do with that.............

thats a signing on fee..........

anyways.........am looking forward to it.....

Whats annoying is that Barca just bought Tevez for £30mil off West Ham.
    Do you think ill get that for Cresswell??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I have just finished my first season with Leyton Orient. Took Aaron Burns on loan from man U, and he scored 17 goals between November and the end of the season. Tony Stokes from West Ham, a midfielder, who scored 8 goals, and always got a rating of at least 7. Plenty assists from him also. Finished 8th in my first season, which was way above expectation. I hope to push on now, and get automatic promotion next season. My baord have given me £120k this time, as opposed to £7k in my first season.

Quick and possibly silly quastion, can you do an individual player search? ie type in a players name? If so, where is it, because I cant find it.

• Advertisement

gimmick wrote:
    Quick and possibly silly quastion, can you do an individual player search? ie type in a players name? If so, where is it, because I cant find it.

Should be in a little box in the top-left corner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Got the sack from Reading today, I was in the quarter final of the league cup but was doing none too well in Championship. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Fitzo

Well...currently reaching the end of my fourth season with Rovers, and its been a bit of a roller-coaster season so far

League: A terrible start which saw me in 8th after 15, well off the pace, and where i wanted to be. But a change in fortunes saw me get 8 wins on the bounce and all of a sudden rise to 3rd, two points of top! But alas, 4 games without a win (3 of which, i should have put beyond all doubt, 3 points on the board) and my title ambitions are all but over, lying 10 points behind with 7 games left.

Cups:Well as reigning champions in both Carlsberg & League Cups, i expeced to have a good decent showing in both. But a shock 2nd round defeat to Dundalk at home, put paid to my hopes of regaining the Carlsberg cup:( League Cup im faring slightly better, through to a final agianst UCD after two penalty wins (Cork & Galway) and a semi final win against the Bohz.

Europe: Unfortunately i happened to get drawn against possibly the best team in the hat in the 1st Qualifying round of the UEFA Cup-Brondby. Press said how we'd go out and get hammered by a few goals. We proved them wrong. A 1-0 win away from home in the first leg had us sitting pretty! but the second leg wasnt so great..after going 1-0 up early on, i conceded early in the second half and then again with 20 mins to go...throwing everything and the kitchen sink at them, i conceded in the last minute again because my keeper went up for a corner which was cleared un fortunately!

will update again in Season 2010

Anyone ever get away with giving the ultimatum and not get sacked? :) I'm still in my second season after being sacked by Rotherham, doing very well at Bristol Rovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Ruu wrote:
    Anyone ever get away with giving the ultimatum and not get sacked? :) I'm still in my second season after being sacked by Rotherham, doing very well at Bristol Rovers.

Yes, I got extra money. The fans were in awe of my abilities, I could do what I wanted - I left due to glitches not allowing the club to go fulltime and the stadium never expanded, the board felt it was time to celebrate the glory days and wish me luck in the future when I resigned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Im with Liverpool.

Its been a lot harder than I thought. Sold: Alonso, Zenden, Dudek, Crouch, Riise
    and Kuyt.
    I bought a few players including Andrew Johnson and Freddy Adu. The others
    I bought are doing well. Half ended up sh**e. Other half are either first team or
    benched atm.

But for a "rich" club their transfer budget of 18million seems a bit stingy. Ive
    saved my moneys and now have 24m.

Came 4th in my first season and now Im going to go for 2nd place. Just won
    9-0 against Moscow :)

Anyone else managing Liverpool?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I'm currently playin two games. One on my pc, where I'm managing Liverpool quite succesfuly. I'm in my first season, brought in Ratinho as cover for Finnan and Bale. Currently lying in 2nd place behind Utd.
    And on my Macbook I'm playing as AC. Signed Marcelo, excellent stats for 18. Had to fend off lots of interest in Kaká, but there's no way I'd sell him, he's amazing! Sitting in 4th position at the moment, that points deduction is a biatch! Also lost the derby against Inter 3-1, team got a right bollickin afterwards. I've also agreed to sign a young MC from Udinese (whose name escapes me at the moment), looks a great replacement for Seedorf.

Will report back in January!

'Arry Redknapp is one fiesty mofo, always looking for a row! Every other game he finds some other manager to take a shot at it seems.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭dogg_r_69

I went for West Ham as well. Started well, things going nicely then Tevez gets injured but Aston started scoring instead In January of the 1st season 4th place 5 points off the top. Brought in Sergino on loan from Milan and Curtis Davis from Chelsea (They were just after signing him) I'm in the quarter finals of the Uefa Cup so things going nicely so far

Ok at the beginning of my 2nd season with Milan. Board were very generous with the transfer kitty and I got myself 2 new players. Fernando Torres, a steal at 20 million, though he was valued at 30 million at the time. (a possible bug?) and Dani Alves for 34.5 million slightly over-priced but my scouts were raving about him.
    So far they've adjusted well, Alves slotted right in to the back. Torres isn't scoring much but he is getting alot of assists, I'd say come January he'll settle in for real and start scoring for fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Fitzo

unbeleivable season so far with Rovers:

League: games in hand due to big european run, means if i win them i could go three points clear, but still 13 games left in the season. Still having a decent season and it's very tight at the top.

Europe/Setanta: Lost in the setanta final to shels, 3-1, and an amazing run in europe to the last round of the inter-toto cup, including a 6-2 win away from home aginst Boavista!(McT got 5!)

Cups: League Cup semi vs. Shels is coming up, and a 3rd round match in the FAI Cup vs. Bohs.

and oin a side note, applied for the USA job...and got it too!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Just finished my first season with Spurs.
    Finished 17th in the League just avoiding relegation.
    Won the Uefa cup.
    Bought Vanden Borre and Nakamura in the close season.

No problems scoring goals, keeping em out is my downfall.

Figo and Davids left

This years transfer budget, a measly 230k

Just encountered my first major bug!!

After 5 poor efforts in the CL Group stages I headed into my last match against Porto, winner would take 2nd place. It ended in a draw and so 3 teams were level on 8 points. But somehow I ended up last despite having the highest amount of goals scored and the least amount conceeded.

Very annoying, no European money to suppliment my income now!!!

Slurms wrote:
    Just encountered my first major bug!!

After 5 poor efforts in the CL Group stages I headed into my last match against Porto, winner would take 2nd place. It ended in a draw and so 3 teams were level on 8 points. But somehow I ended up last despite having the highest amount of goals scored and the least amount conceeded.

Very annoying, no European money to suppliment my income now!!!

Doesn't the CL come down to your record against the other teams? Not sure how that works if all three teams are level.

Each team won 2, drew 2 and lost 2. I thought it was down to goal difference though.

Slurms wrote:
    Each team won 2, drew 2 and lost 2. I thought it was down to goal difference though.

Well I know that in reality, if a Champions League group has a tie between two sides it comes down to the head-to-head record of the sides. If, however, it comes down to three sides, the following happens criteria are applied (in order) until two sides qualify...
    • Higher number of points obtained in the matches between the teams in question
    • Superior goal difference from the matches between the teams in question
    • Higher number of goals scored away from home in the matches between the teams in question
    • Superior goal difference from all group matches played
    • Higher number of goals scored
    • Coefficient points accumulated by the club in question, as well as its association, over the previous five seasons

I had to start again with Reading but doing much better this time around, chucked out of the Premier on the last day, broke my heart it did but top o' the Championship this season and on a 13 game unbeaten run. Things are looking very good. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭GadgetFiend

hi all,

took over dagenham and redbridge at the start, wanted a challenge.. in 10 years time we'll be in the premiership i said to myself. 2 years down the road, i'm 17th in the bloody conference. but i did get to the 3rd round of the fa cup, which wasnt bad for a non-league team, knocked out fulham along the way

i keep telling myself its a transitional period, a rake of players are out of contract in june, so that will bring the wage bill down. plus a takeover is imminent i think.. i'm 500k in debt and counting!

anyone have any luck becoming a feeder club for a half decent team? I applied for it and ended up with f**king barnet. a mate of mine, in charge of gray's, got bolton. the bastid.

A mate of mine won the Premiership with Dagenham and Redbridge in the previous game.

• Advertisement

Heading into my 3rd season now.
    Busy transfer window: bought Akinfeev (22m) and Gerrard (55m).

Won the league in my 2nd season and have just had the club taken over. The new chairman has told me he is waiting to decide whether or not he will replace me, im brickin it tbh as I've built an incredible team and I dont want it all taken away from me!!

Advertisement