Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FM07 - Who'd you pick?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

In my second season with Spurs.
    At just before christmas, am still in the league cup, through to knock out stages of Uefa cup, and am 5th in the league.

bought Vanden Borre, Huntelaar, and Nakamura... defending much better.

I sold Defoe, and Ledley King started whinging, told him "i'm the gaffer!", he slapped in transfer request, backed down after i signed Huntelaar.

Berbatov is top scorer at the moment, but goals coming in from midfield and defense

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Slurms wrote:
    Gerrard (55m).

My lappy ac adaptor broke so Ive had to do without playing the game for a few
    days. Looking forward to getting back into it. So Gerrard is worth 50m? :eek:
    I think I'll sell him. I have Yoann Gourcuff who is doing way better than Gerrard.
    But then again Ill have to replace Gerrard meaning I need to find another good
    DM or CM. Currently dont have any worthy of that position.

I bought Didier Digard, because someone Xavi6 recommended him in the last thread.
    He's a DM but doesnt seem that impressive right now. I think Ill buy Vieira. I'd like
    an old timer playing at CM defensively to replace Gerrard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Peadar85

I got him for under £3 million for Liverpool which aint bad at all

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

The board kept me on! :D

Sitting pretty atop the league, I have a feeling this is gonna be the year of the triple. Actually Gerrard was 49 million, worth it though. He's replaced Seedorf and he fitted right into the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Nearing the end of my second season with Reading, top o' the Championship with 2 losses. Shane Long is playing a stormer for meh, 24 apps total and 16 goals, he is a wizard!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Shane Long used to play for my club, Two-Mile Borris/St.Kevins, I hope that sort of success comes his way. He was a highly talented Tipperary hurler aswell before choosing pro football as a career.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Fitzo

In my sixth season with Rovers now:

League: top of the table, two points clear of Shams with just under a third to play as well as having a game in hand...my next 3 games decide my fate, as i'm away to Drogs, Cork, and Shels

Cups:No setanta for me this season, but an early penalty exit to Pats in the League Cup and a home draw to Bohs in the 3rd round of the Carlsberg Cup.

Europe: Second round exit to a team from Serbia in the Inter-Toto Cup

USA: crap Gold Cup campaign, saw me go out to Costa Rica in the quarter finals!:eek: Much improved Confederations cup performance (including 7-0 drubbing of New Zealand:D ), still didnt see me qualify from group...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Whats your first XI like Fitzo??

gustavo wrote:
    Whats your first XI like Fitzo??
    you would'nt recognise a lot of them.

_____________________Richard O'Donnell______________________

Matt Doherty_____Barry Ferguson__Jim Goodwin_________Keith Foy

Sean Anderson_____Kevin Nicol__Ruadhri Higgins_______Dale Malone

_________________Stephen Thompson__Paul McTiernan__________

Subs:
    Ross Flitney (gk)
    Conor O'Grady
    Lee York (ST)
    Rob Elvins (ST)
    David Cassidy (AMRC)

btw...I finally won the league, with 3 games to go, and have a FAI Cup final against Derry coming up.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Is that Sean Anderson, the Celtic u19 player?

• Advertisement

Dempsey wrote:
    Is that Sean Anderson, the Celtic u19 player?
    aye, the same one.

Well where do i begin...7th season with Rovers...

League: Champions 2nd year running with 4 games to spare, and 8 starters out injured for the final 8 games.

Setanta Cup: Winners vs. Portadown in the final

Cups: Fai Cup final to play vs. Derry (again ), and League Cup champs (again:D )

Europe: Got to 3rd Qualifying Round of Champions league but lost 4-2 on agg. to Heerenveen of Holland (3-1, 1-1), so put into 1st round of Euro Cup...drawn to Parma of Italy, went through 2-1 on agg. (1-0, 1-1 aet)!:D
    drawn into group along side; Pompey, Mainz, St. Ettiene, Rapid Bucharest...played St. Ett, and POmpey so far succumbing 2-1 and 3-1 respectively....still could get through though...

USA: Got a better job with Nigeria so left them, and am now top of my WC Qualifier Group by 5 points with half the games played.

and on a side note, the Sligo Rovers board is "delighted to have such a legendary manager in charge" and have given me a transfer budget of 950k with 16k for wages!:eek:

But i think i've pretty much achieved all i can with Rovers, and i see Leeds have fallen all the way to League Two...maybe a recon job for me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I got Joe O’Cearuill from Arsenal on free transfer (I think so anyway) and under the watchful eye of Ivar Ingimarsson, he is turning out very well! I should manage to stay up in the Premier this season. Mid table at the moment and doing well enough with Reading in the 3rd season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

I started a new game with Celtic. In Jan 07, I'm top of the SPL (by a considerable distance) with only one defeat all season to Dundee United, who are just ahead of Rangers in 2nd spot. I topped my CL group which included Liverpool and Bremen, beat them both 4-0! I only dropped two points in the group drawing at home to AEK. I'll be facing Bordeaux in the next round. I'm still in all the Scottish cups.

I've signed Adu and Stokes, Cardenas isn't interested, and now I've no money left. I'm disappointed I couldn't sign Vanden Borre, but I'll probably get him in the summer. Jan V of H is unbelievable, consistently getting 9s and 10s.

I've brought through a few youngsters, and they're playing just as well as the established guys. At Ibrox, Rangers equalised at around 70mins (1-1), I brought on a guy aged 16yrs and 2 days, who set up the winner for J V of H in the 90th minute!

I'll probably leave in a few years when I've won some trophies to manage in the Eircom League - Cork City (now a feeder club for Celtic!) or UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Took charge of West Ham, spent most of the season patching up the team with injuries. Every week there are at least 4 players injured. Tevaz has only played 20 games this season but has 16 goals and 14 assists!

Loads of red cards as well, 8 already with two games left in the league.

I'm in 17th on 37 points, Watford 18th 37 points, Bolton 19th 37 points and Fulham 16th on 38 points. I'm playing Fulham next.

Beaten by Chelsea in the 3rd round of the league cup

Beaten by Sheff Wed in the 4th round of the FA Cup

Beaten by Ajax in the 1/4 final of the UEFA cup after winning 1-0 in Amsterdam and taking the lead at home after 5 minutes. They had 5 shots in the game and scored 4. I had 15 and scored 1!

Just got a new contract from the board, but they're not happy and neither are the fans. My transfer budget was £1.8M and has been increased to £2.4M for the coming year...not exactly crowning myself in glory!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Started a new game as Barcelona just to mess around with, havent had time to take a serious challenge. 3 or 4 seasons in Ive been going with the Galactico system, my lineup is

GK Degre
    DC Kompany
    DC Puyol
    DC Felipe
    DMC Xavi - been trying to sign Essien to replace him but a bigger transfer keeps coming up
    AMR Messi
    AML C Ronaldo £87m
    AMC Ronaldinho
    AMC Kaka' £51m
    FC David Villa £29
    FC Eto'o

With Ruud VN, Rossi, Motta, Saviola and a couple of kids notably Gay Assulin who started off as a 14yr old in my youth squad taking over when needed. Have won everything bar the league but am 10 points clear this season so will probably quit and try my luck elsewhere soon.

Bizzarely Joan Laporte felt the need to step in and accept a £22k bid for an 18year old DC in my C squad as the offer was too good to refuse???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rezzim

In my 1st season as Queens park rangers' manager, i've managed to go into playoffs for promotion. I've succeed to won the promotion to the Premiership! I've signed Di Biaggio on free transfer, also Ursaiz. At 2nd season, i've bought Danko Lazovic, Serb stiker, who is great, and also unforgettable and unbeliveable Freddy Adu, than Stalteri, O'Brien, Roger from Ajax reserves!!??
    Anyway, i'm doing great in 3rd season, i'm in 10th position, even though my mmedia prediction is 20th!

What do you think about Serbian players?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

I'm nearly finished my first season with Celtic.....really should be studying......

SPL - Champions!

League Cup - Winners

Scottish Cup - Haven't played the final yet

CL - Q/F 1st Leg Celtic 0 - 0 Liverpool
    2nd Leg Liverpool 0 - 5 Celtic!!!
    I'll be playing AC Milan in the semi

My team is largely the same as the start, the only additions being Adu, Pressley, and Stokes. The young players have been unbelievable and Scott Cuthbert is always first choice CB with Pressley. Jan V of H has 45+ goals so far. The team is almost unbeatable!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

bohsman wrote:
    Bizzarely Joan Laporte felt the need to step in and accept a £22k bid for an 18year old DC in my C squad as the offer was too good to refuse???

Every penney...

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭dogg_r_69

Doing nicely as West Ham Just finished the 2nd season as champions Was 2 points behind Chelsea with 2 to go and Reading beat them 3-0 to leave me win the title Went to the semi-final of the champions league with Arsenal beating me In the 1st season I finished 3rd and went to the final of the Uefa Cup Lost to Werder Bremmen No major signing either season Got Figo on a free and a couple loan players Most notible being Curtis Davis after he signed for Chelsea Brilliant player... Got Justin Hoyte for next to nothing after the 1st season as well and he had the highest rating of my team over the season Top scorer was Harewood for the 2nd season running with about 30 goals Tevez got about 25 but played less games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Iago wrote:
    Took charge of West Ham, spent most of the season patching up the team with injuries. Every week there are at least 4 players injured. Tevaz has only played 20 games this season but has 16 goals and 14 assists!

Loads of red cards as well, 8 already with two games left in the league.

I'm in 17th on 37 points, Watford 18th 37 points, Bolton 19th 37 points and Fulham 16th on 38 points. I'm playing Fulham next.

Beaten by Chelsea in the 3rd round of the league cup

Beaten by Sheff Wed in the 4th round of the FA Cup

Beaten by Ajax in the 1/4 final of the UEFA cup after winning 1-0 in Amsterdam and taking the lead at home after 5 minutes. They had 5 shots in the game and scored 4. I had 15 and scored 1!

Just got a new contract from the board, but they're not happy and neither are the fans. My transfer budget was £1.8M and has been increased to £2.4M for the coming year...not exactly crowning myself in glory!

beat Fulham 4-0 to move up to 15th and got sacked the next day. Have started a new game as West Ham again...haven't started the season yet, but feeling confident.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

Picked Juventus & got promoted outta serie B in the first season (unbeaten all year) & lost to Roma in Italian cup final.
    Finshed 2nd in Serie A & new 65,000 stadium was completed so now have transfer funds, bought C Ronaldo €33m & put in Messi's min release fee €43.5m but hes not interested in signing :eek:
    Currently 6th in 3rd season & have reached the knockout stages of CL, semi final of league cup :D

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

Just starting my second season with Man Utd.

Won the league in the first season by 2 points and won the League Cup.

Lost in the Champions League semi to Chelsea.

Only bought two players in the first season. Akinfeev 11m and Adu 2.6m. Adu was named best buy of the Premiership season.

At the end of the season got told stadium was being expanded by 16,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Just got the game yesterday and have hardly played it. Picked Leeds though, feel I better take my team upwards in a virtual world. Have only plyed two friendlies though, havent played much at all. Drew with Nantes 1-1, and lost to Herth Berlin 3-1. Got agbonlahor on loan for the season, along with Djemba-djemba. Bought Vasillias tsaritas for free, have to try and get a few more players just to boost squad size.

Have been made at 2-1 odds for promotion, Im shocked at this in all honesty. It'll be difficult but maybe I have a good enough team to do it.

Mushy wrote:
    Just got the game yesterday and have hardly played it. Picked Leeds though, feel I better take my team upwards in a virtual world. Have only plyed two friendlies though, havent played much at all. Drew with Nantes 1-1, and lost to Herth Berlin 3-1. Got agbonlahor on loan for the season, along with Djemba-djemba. Bought Vasillias tsaritas for free, have to try and get a few more players just to boost squad size.

Have been made at 2-1 odds for promotion, Im shocked at this in all honesty. It'll be difficult but maybe I have a good enough team to do it.
    Leeds are the ultimate under-performers in the game...very difficult to manage...i was sacked by March with them!

Leeds are the ultimate under-performers in the game...very difficult to manage...i was sacked by March with them!

Oh joy! Im at the end of November now, coming 5th I think, just got beaten by QPR to end an 11 game unbeaten run where I beat all the teams above me and others. Few injuries at the moment, but if I can reduce my wage bill now, I can get a few better cover players in. Im confident of making the playoffs

EDIT: Agbonlahor, what a player for any Championship side. Speedy, scores goals. About 13 in 17 games for me:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I decided to take the plunge with Portsmouth and see if I could replicate any of their success this season. I'm not that far into the season but I'm already in the quater final of the league cup (facing Charlton, who shouldn't pose much of a threat) and sitting in a very healthy mid table position. I have a game in hand and I'm within 3 points of second place behind Man Utd. The season started very brightly but my performance has dropped slightly in the last 2 matches since I was playing Man Utd and Chelsea (Lost 3-2 and 1-0 respectively). Those losses have left me in 11th place.

So far I've signed Nakamura and Rolan Gusev on a free from CSKA, as well as getting Harewood on a loan 'til the end of the season with an option to buy him. I also agreed to terms with Vagner Love but his work permit was refused! There's a huge amount of depth in the squad so I don't find myself in need of any players at the moment but I have a couple million left from my massive foreign investor transfer budget so I might make a swoop on Daniel Carvalho at CSKA.

In terms of goals for the season I'm hoping to get at least a top half finish and some kind of European football (preferably the UEFA Cup through the League Cup).

Started a second game, this time as Wigan. Got Dagoberto for £4.3m, only played some friendlies, season starting soon. My main ambition is to push for a Uefa Cup place, that'd be nice, hopefully also do well in the League Cup, maybe even win it. Just need a good run of results and Im sure I can get that Uefa cup place somehow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Decided to pick Arsenal as i liked the look of their youths !
    First season done well enough and managed to win the CL somehow but league form was patching enough but a late run managed to secure 2nd -Henry is a goal machine when he plays is virtually a goal a game for me but seems to get injured quite a bit .
    Denilson is a fantastic player for me and prompted the selling of Gilberto and sending out of Flamini on loan , Merida could also be good

Fabregas is great too of course

Won the league in 2nd season sold Hleb , bought Navas who didnt really do that good for me , Seem to play Walcott more on the wing than him , got rid of Lehmann brought in Akinfeev :)

For start of third season new board took over and promptly gave me 70 mill to spend and I spent 40 of that on Villa:)
    Have loads of strikers now as the scouts tell me Vela will be immense and Bendtner has done really well any time he came in
    All in all great fun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Just started my third season with Fulham. Going well so far. Two 6th place finishes (barely made it each time) in 06-07 and 07-08.

Fulham are a dirt poor club - so the key to it was building the right tactic from the start with the players available i.e. play to the squad's strengths. So with McBride and Helgusson available (strong, good headerers and jumping), i settled on a Targetman approach. Firstly, building the tactic from the back with a higly defensive back 4 plus a destroyer DM (god bless The Wardrobe ;)) in front. And they all just punt it to the Targetman. Its not beautiful football but its very effective (i can upload this later if anyone is interested)

In my third season now, the third attempted takeover has been successful (thank god) and some cash is starting to trickle in - got Carew for peanuts which has improved the attack no end :) Also Craven Cottage is finally going to be upgraded.

Im massively enjoying this - makes a change from the usual Chelsea / 'Pool / ManU thing.
    gustavo wrote:
    Have loads of strikers now as the scouts tell me Vela will be immense
    Id concurr with this. I bagged him on load form Arsenal and he was a revelation (turned into Wonderkid too). I deployed him as a goalscoring AMC latching onto flick-ons, etc... and he finished top-scorer. Consequently he was valued afterwards at £10mil, which was out of my league :(

Advertisement