Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Question

Options
  • 01-11-2006 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭

Just ordered 6 mb NTL broadband for my apartment. It needs to be in two rooms for two separate computers. Whats this the best way to do this ? When I mentioned it to the girl on the phone she said it would simply a case of getting a wireless router but...surely you have to get wireless broadband installed to use wireless routers ? Or will wireless routers work with normal broadband ?

What other options do we have ? networking the pcs OR can the NTL router be connected to 2 pcs at once ?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Hi

if your PC is far from the NTL point like in another room they do provide I think in most cases a Router and an USB adapter but probably only 1, you will need to buy another adapter for the other Computer.

Just make sure that you have the PC's as far as possible from the NTL point.

If might be good to be nice with the installer, have biscuits and coffee ready, also to have a chat with him and while talking mention about the other computer, if they are cool they might give an extra adapter.

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

hook NTL modem to the WAN side of a wireless router. Then conenct computers to yoru router via ethernet or wireless/wifi

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

nava wrote:
    Hi

if your PC is far from the NTL point like in another room they do provide I think in most cases a Router and an USB adapter but probably only 1, you will need to buy another adapter for the other Computer.

Just make sure that you have the PC's as far as possible from the NTL point.

If might be good to be nice with the installer, have biscuits and coffee ready, also to have a chat with him and while talking mention about the other computer, if they are cool they might give an extra adapter.

Regards

Well I already have two routers, if thats the only problem then that should be fine... ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

Tusky wrote:
    ...surely you have to get wireless broadband installed to use wireless routers ?

Nope.

There's effectively 2 kinds of wireless:
    1) Where the ISP sets up a huge mast somewhere that serves a huge area (i.e. IrishBroadBand) and lets you use a wireless antennae at home to pick it up (if you see the square dishes on some peoples house these days, that's what they use to pick it up, or the small ripwave thing)
    2) Where you get broadband to your house (either eirom or NTL or BT) and you get a router with a little antennae that just broadcasts the broadband to your house and you'll need a wireless card on your pcs to pick it up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

At the risk of sounding patronising, the best thing to do is to compare your mobile phone with your cordless phone.....the cordless is "mobile" within range of the low-powered transmitter that's in your house, but if you look at the base unit you'll see that it still uses "wired" technology (i.e. the phone line or cable) to make the connection.

So, roughly speaking, the difference depends on where the "wireless" becomes "wired" - if it's at your end, it's a wireless router; if it's at the ISP's site, it's wireless broadband.

You can, of course, have both, where your wireless router has a short cable running to the wireless broadband receiver.

• Advertisement
Advertisement