Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Trouble finding third gear

Options
  • 01-11-2006 3:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

Hopefully somebody will have some ideeas.

My 00 Nissan Almera has recently developed an issue where I can't find third gear which is only evident when making a right turn. There's also some clunking noises from the gearbox when this happens. In a straight line there's no issue, so g-force seems to be moving something loose to where it shouldn't be. Is this a linkage probem? Will it be expensive to fix?

I want to be able to discuss knowledgeably with the mechanic so I don't look like a complete sucker :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Sounds like a linkage problem. My mother's corsa had a similar problem with 2nd gear and that's what it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

Thanks Stephen. Iis this a big deal to fix? I'm wondering what ballpark for the repair.

It was a good while back, but as far as I can remember it wasn't an expensive job. I'll find out how much when I get home and post back here.

Appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

The corsa c model gave alot of trouble with gear linkages, is a common problem with the before they came with a modified linkage. its about 70 euro retail (roughly, could be 60-90, cant remember!) for the short modified linkage and you should pay about half an hours labour to fit. not sure if almera's give linkage trouble or what the setup is though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Most likely a torque arm (linkage) between the box and the frame has worn/broken bushings or the engine mounts for the gearbox end of the engine are failed.

Either way wear in these items means the box is moving about on occasions.

Or at least that's where I'd start, rather then looking into the box itself.

Thanks AMurphy. Somebody else mentioned the mounts to me, but I didn't understand what they meant until I had done some research. Would fixing that be a big/expensive job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭the evil belly

rear engine mount on the mother's 01 almera had to be done a year or two back. think it was around 500 quid but that was main dealer. you could see the gear stick move by about 3 inches just by lifting off the accelerater.

Turns out the Opel dealer only charged my ma €25 for labour for her linkage problem with the Corsa. Apparently the mileage on the car was so low the parts were covered by warranty or something.

Advertisement