Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hard Drive is Shot??

• 01-11-2006 4:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭

Ok so I bought an Advent 7090 from PC World back in August.

It was working great (lovely and small and light etc) but then last week it refused to start, well it turns over and then flashes 'Disc Read Error', and then it won't let me go further.

I brought it into my local computer fixer dude, and he reckons that the shell on the laptop is so flimsy that I could have damaged the hard drive by simply picking it up whilst turned on (as in the laptop was turned on :o ). Then thinking about it, I remember picking up the laptop with one hand to move it, and it sounded like I was squeezing the cd drive.

So.. em.. please help!!

Do I just throw it back at PC World? I didn't opt for the extra cover cos the sales guy was so annoying - but surely this should be covered by warrantee? I didn't drop it like - ever (I really try to take care of it).

My fixer guy reckons it'll cost 180quid for a replacement HD - am I being ripped off?

Oh please just make it would again.. I just spent 700quid on it 2 months ago like!

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Yes, it should be covered under warranty. There is no way in hell simply lifting the laptop while it was switched on should damage it. Lifting while on a pogo stick, maybe....

One thing though - whatever battle lies ahead, make sure and back up any important files on the hard drive (assuming you can actually get to them). See my post in the other hard-drive thread for full details on how to do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

If you only bought it last August its under warranty anyway. And Laptop hard drives, especially large ones, are rather expensive yes. But again you won't have to shell out. Bring it back, and don't bother mentioning this "I picked it up" thing, because PC World being the arses that they always are will probably use it as a chance to tell you you did something wrong.

It sound strange that you could have actually damaged the hard drive yourself through picking it up and I seriously doubt such a thing happened, unless the laptop was actually made of cardboard. I have an Advent myself and its a nice sturdy machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Strangely enough I got home today and my advent is acting up. DVD drive doesn't work at all anymore....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

HavoK wrote:
    Strangely enough I got home today and my advent is acting up. DVD drive doesn't work at all anymore....

/Enter eerie music.

No well I know that it sounds silly, but I have a Dell notebook too and it's very sturdily built compared to the Advent. Like I said when I picked up the Advent with one hand, my hand was gripping the area where the DVD drive is and I could hear a 'whirring' noise, as if the DVD was rubbing against something it shouldn't have.

I dunno, well I'll throw it back at em anyways :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭roughan

i have those drives in stock for 90 Euro Fitted if the worst comes to the worst

• Advertisement
Advertisement