Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

List of Gun Clubs?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 The_Irish_Dave

What do you guys want though as a matter of interest? Do you want it like it is now? or do you want more of a choice in the guns available at ranges or any changes at all?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Say you do get a range with an open door policy. Someone with no licence walks in, rents a gun and uses it. Then leaves. What about the ammo? Criminals can get access to firearms easier than the law abiding citizen. The problem they have is ammunition.

Forget for a moment about criminals. The average joe walks in, rents a gun and buys ammo. Doesn't use it all and brings it home to keep for the next time. He/she is now in possession of unlicenced ammunition. This has been a source of problems for some ranges in the past and as a result the ranges stopped renting the firearms and withdrew the service thus leading to a drop in numbers attending ranges with a view to entering the sport.

The only way to avoid this would be to get a licence for the calibre of firearm you wish to shoot. If you wanted to shoot .22, .243, .270, .308, .303, 9mm, .40 .45 you would need a licence for each calibre to buy the ammunition otherwise the range officials would be breaking the law. If you only wanted to shoot one calibre then which is cheaper. Storage cost at the range or a gun safe at home. Plus most lads with firearms have duel purposes i.e. target shooting and deer stalking (rifle). Game hunting and clays (shotgun).
    Originally Posted by The_Irish_Dave

What do you guys want though as a matter of interest? Do you want it like it is now? or do you want more of a choice in the guns available at ranges or any changes at all?

No its not perfect as is. It is however a work in progress. While others may differ in opinion i for one want my firearms under my control at all times. Yes i want more choice in firearm accessories, firearm availability but not to the point where a guy that was deemed unfit by Gardai and with no previous firearm experience can walk into a range and fire any firearm of any calibre whenever they want.

Its my sport the same as every other shooter/firearm owner out there and the licencing procedure, for better or worse, is all thats stands between responsible, safety minded people using them for legitimate purposes and every other Tom, Dick and Harry with no valid reason other than "i want one" from possesing one.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Clash

It's not really very feasible for clubs to store firearms for members. The first reason is the most obvious and that's the fact that the club would be immediately at level four security: monitored alarm, GSM backup etc, etc.

Most clubs are in out of the way places because of having ranges etc and have not much in the way of buildings that could be considered secure, so that would cause a problem as well.

And mostly there's not someone there 24 hours to make sure everything's ok.

It's not such a good idea as it sounds =(

Advertisement