Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Goes Crazy - Any Advice

Options
  • 01-11-2006 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭

I've a male Westie who goes absolutely crazy when anyone he doesn't know comes near the house. He has gone for callers to the house twice now and I need to do something about it. We usually make sure he can't get into the hall when we're opening the front door to callers but on two occasions now he has managed to get out and go crazy chasing after the callers. It's like a red mist decends over him and he completely ignores me caling him back in or ordering him to stop.

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions as to what I can do to stop him doing this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

He is defending his territory. You need to become the leader again and show some more control over him. Maybe have him on the leash, keep him by yourside when you are answering the door and don't let him move from his spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

Good advice from Ruu,
    He is just doing 'his job', you feed him, take him for walks and so on, in exchange he is protecting you. He loves you and wants to show you this. As well as the imposrtant reponsibility he has assumed of protecting the house from potentially dangerous intruders.

Also he is a dog so he is thick and gets overexcited when doing his job.

I suggest that when he doews it you bite his ear (not that hard) and tell him 'no'.
    Of course you feel ridiculous biting a dog on the ear but it is normal litter behaviour. Personally I think that stuff about dogs thinking they are 'top dog' is rubbish but it esrtablishes dominance and gets his attention.

I hope this works.

MM

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

consider using a muzzle until you get him under control...That way you prevent getting yourself into a dilemma if he bites someone....;)

Praise and treat him when hes good and comes back to you...Scold him when you're not pleased, it will help him understand whats acceptable and whats not...You take the control back..

and.....

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Nobody has mentioned this so here goes. My neighbours had the same problem and asked me if I could help. I put some pea gravel in an empty coke can and everytime the dog barked wrongly I shook the can quite close to his ear, Dogs in particular don't seem to like the noise much and tend to stop. It did take me about a week (2hrs per night) to get him to a stage that he did not bark when the door bell rang.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

Nobody has mentioned this so here goes. My neighbours had the same problem and asked me if I could help. I put some pea gravel in an empty coke can and everytime the dog barked wrongly I shook the can quite close to his ear, Dogs in particular don't seem to like the noise much and tend to stop. It did take me about a week (2hrs per night) to get him to a stage that he did not bark when the door bell rang.
    That's good advice.

MM

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I'd agree about putting him on a lead when you open the door (though he sounds as if he lives in the garden?)

First off, I'd get him a harness so he can't slip out of the collar when you put on the lead.

When someone comes to the door and he barks to tell you, calmly put him on a lead, say "Thank you Westie" ('Westie' representing his name) and give him a gentle pat, then open the door, holding him behind you.

If he keeps barking, make sure you have your keys, and just step out of the door, leaving him outside, and walk your visitor to the gate. When you've finished your business with the visitor, go back in, wait till he's calmed down and praise his calmness, pet him and give him a treat.

As long as he's Mr Raving Maniac, don't make eye contact with him. Behave as if he's farted in a lift - a certain sense of social embarrassment.

If he *is* living in the garden, may I suggest building a run for him, so he can't chase people? It'll cost a bit, but a lot less than you'd have to pay if he bit someone and they sued.

And remember: if he barks and you react by shouting at him, he thinks you're joining in, and yes, this is a situation that requires loud barking and anger. So a calm, calm, courteous mode is much more helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If he does this with "safe" people - friends, the postman, etc. then invite them in to show him that they are OK. If you send them away from the door, he just gets the idead that the barking and snapping is working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Spit62500

Have a read of The Dog Listener by Jan Fennell - lots of useful advice for this situation. Its a brilliant book overall and should be a must read for all dog owners

Advertisement