Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

06 L xxxx - Black Honda Civic - Parks In Disabled Bays

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Confronting face-to-face sometimes leads to a cracked jaw. Ever see the state of the ones parking their chariots in the disabled spaces (without cause) in LIDL/ALDI ? You'd be lucky to walk away without your throat cut.

Naming and shaming is the next best thing

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

maybe the driver's neighbours will read this and shun them. maybe he'll lose his job or his friends will desert him. That'll teach him.

Anyone got some photos of this guy, maybe we could set up a website and make his life hell.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I doubt anything will come of it Colm, but does that mean I should do nothing at all? I feel that doing nothing at all is tantamount to saying it's ok, and it's not ok. I also feel that attacking me is tantamount to defending him, but I guess if thats the route you feel you have to take, that's what you should do. I can't understand it myself.

Surely you can see that posting on the net isn't going to achieve anything. If someone annoys me by doing something blatantly wrong, I'll confront them if it's affecting me or someone else, I won't go looking for an argument. If I was scared of violence form the guy in the situation you were in, I would have driven over to him and confronted him from inside the car. "Naming and shaming" just makes it look like you're wishing you could have done something more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

dahamsta wrote:
    I've asked the mods to remove my name from maidhc's post. I have a legitimate reason to post identifying information, even if it is arguable; maidch is just trying to cause trouble because we've crossed swords before and they took the disagreement personally for some bizarre reason.

No, I have crossed swords with plenty people. I normally forget their names within a few hours though!

I'm not trying to be vindictive by posting your name, just making the point the internet isn't exactly anonymous, and Irish libel law is quite harsh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

dahamsta wrote:
    I doubt anything will come of it Colm, but does that mean I should do nothing at all? I feel that doing nothing at all is tantamount to saying it's ok, and it's not ok. I also feel that attacking me is tantamount to defending him, but I guess if thats the route you feel you have to take, that's what you should do. I can't understand it myself.
    You could have made your point in a polite non-aggressive manner and may have got more support that way. Referring to someone as a fat, ignorant, knacker and revealing their registration and advising people to give them the 'finger' is hardly the way to go about it. I'm sure if you had posted in the Disability Forum, none of the regulars there would have wanted to be associated with you and would have been shocked at your attitude.

Post edited to substitute "attitude" for "low grade mentality".

Yes Wishbone Ash, because referring to someone as having a "low grade mentality" is so polite and non-agressive. When you practice what you preach, I might give your opinion some credence.

Colm, anyone that blatantly parks in a disabled bay isn't going to listen to reason. I'm sorry, but suggesting otherwise is just plain ridiculous. And yes, I do wish I could have done more, but I have no regrets about naming and shaming. People that do this kind of thing are nasty, ignorant people, and they should be highlighted as such.

you're making quite an assumption there dahamsta.

First you're assuming that they weren't entitled to park there
    next you're assuming that they're not just normal people who can't be bothered to find a space, and are chancing their arm.
    then you assume that because they park in a disabled space that they won't listen to reason

dahamsta wrote:
    Yes Wishbone Ash, because referring to someone as having a "low grade mentality" is so polite and non-agressive.
    Post edited on mature reflection!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

colm_mcm wrote:
    you're making quite an assumption there dahamsta.

First you're assuming that they weren't entitled to park there
    next you're assuming that they're not just normal people who can't be bothered to find a space, and are chancing their arm.
    then you assume that because they park in a disabled space that they won't listen to reason

Didn't dahamsta say he watched the family walk away from the car? Whether they're entitled to a disability sticker on their car or not, if no one in the current group of people driving the car is disabled, they shouldn't be in the space.

And yes Colm, most people who park in Disabled Spaces have very little concern for what other people think, and think of them, and as such they won't listen to reason. They already know what they're doing wrong. For the record, if you park in a Disabled spot in Mahon Point, a loudspeaker announcement reminds punters that it's for genuine disabled people only. So them ignoring the message compounds the problem.

Well done OP, name and shame away.

• Advertisement

ned78 wrote:
    if no one in the current group of people driving the car is disabled, they shouldn't be in the space
    1. There is no obligation on a driver to be disabled.

2. A driver utilising a disabled bay may be collecting a badge holder.

Yes ned78, I did. More than once. I also pointed out that the car didn't have a disabled sticker. I checked.

colm_mcm, what ned78 said.

Wishbone Ash, the car was parked outside for at least an hour, while I did my shopping and tried to complain to Mahon Point customer service. I didn't start this thread lightly, and I'm not a stupid man - rude maybe, but not stupid - and this was plainly a man that was too lazy to park a few yards further away from the door, period. You can choose not to believe me if you want, that's your perogative, but you didn't witness it. I did, and I know what I saw.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

Well i think you were right to name and shame them but leave it at that.
    I dont think you should have called them x y or z names.

I think that the disability sign is just open to all interpretations. Because the sign shows a symbol of someone in a wheelchair doesnt mean that the driver has to be disabled. I think that the sign could be edited to include other forms of disability. Yes i know some smart arse will say , oh ok lets add in a few more symbols like someone with no legs, no arms, no eyes, someone holding a disability allowance book, etc , etc, etc. As a family member of mine had one of these stickers on their windscreen and they weren't in a wheelchair, they were entitled to it as they were using a walking stick due to a hip operation and suffering from severe pain.

As some people have already stated, people break parking rules all the time. Recently i saw gardai leaving a patrol car on a double yellow line to buy a sandwich, the taoiseach's mercedes parked on double yellow lines so that he can carry out official engagements, young people too lazy to find a parking space leaving their car in a taxi rank and leaving someone sitting in the passenger seat so they can walk into a record shop and purchase dvds.

If people don't bother reading signs on the street, then I dont have any pity for them if they are clamped or towed away.

dahamsta wrote:
    Wishbone Ash, the car was parked outside for at least an hour, while I did my shopping and tried to complain to Mahon Point customer service. I didn't start this thread lightly, and I'm not a stupid man - rude maybe, but not stupid - and this was plainly a man that was too lazy to park a few yards further away from the door, period. You can choose not to believe me if you want, that's your perogative, but you didn't witness it. I did, and I know what I saw.

adam
    From what you say, I am 99% sure that he was not morally/ethically entitled to park there but I wouldn't post someone's reg on the net or make degrading comments about them either way. Who are we to judge? He did nothing illegal.

G Luxel wrote:
    the taoiseach's mercedes parked on double yellow lines so that he can carry out official engagements
    (apologies - off topic) The Taoiseach's Garda driver would be exempt from parking regulations while on official business. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

if he / she is disabled then why dont they apply for the relavant pass?? Please dont try and defend such behaviour :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

After reading this, I understand what dahamsta is saying but (being devils advocate) there is no evidence to show that the owner of the civic did anything wrong.
    As already said, they may be impaired but have no badge, they may have been picking up someone with a disability or whatever.
    However, had they just been lazy or igorant or whatever, they still did not break any laws (given that it was private property). This does not give users here carte blanche to post car registrations and insult the occupants.
    Posting a car reg without concrete proof is going to result in a ban. However, I don't mind people posting something like spot oops fog lights on as these people shouldn't be on the road anyhow.
    I will do out a fresh charter for this forum in the next few days.

This thread however, is going to bed!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement