Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can canaries withstand the cold?

Options
  • 01-11-2006 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

Hi. My neighbours keep leaving their canary outside in the garden even
    though it is now November and is getting quite cold. Sometimes they
    even forget about it and leave it over night!

Can a canary withstand this degree of cold? What if it rains as well? Will
    it be frozen to its perch one of these days? What should I do about this, if anything?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Aww the poor wee thing :-(

Whatever about during the day, some animals get used to it but being left out at night with no proper shelter is just cruel.

Esp. this time of year the bird shouldn't be out, I don't see the point in putting canaries out hanging on the house in their cages. Mabey some people think they are giving the bird more freedom in a weird sort of way.

Even hardier birds kept in aviaries like budgies and tiels need a warm shed/house area to sleep in at night in this weather.

I'd have a word with the owners if you can mabey if you have to even make up a story that your aunts canary just passed away from the cold after being left out or something to that effect.

All else fails you could report them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Khanis

That's just cruelty, plain and simple.
    Please contact the ISPCA.
    I don't know whereabouts in the country you are but it was 4 degrees in Cork the night before last and no tropical animal should be forced to endure that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

A canary that is most likely part of a long line of captive born birds is hardly tropical, but like the neighbours are easily scared/frightened. Spare a thought for the homeless sleeping rough, who's watching them or more importantly who is doing anything about it even it is just a phonecall!!:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭myjugsarehuge

I used to keep canaries outside all year but they do need protection from the elements.

They had a large box type cage positioned on top of the guinea pig hutch, with solid back/walls/roof and a wire front with about 1/4 blocked off one end for protection from the wind. I covered them with a tarpaulin (tied down securely) at night and they were fine for years.

I used to have to bring their water bottle in of a morning and run it under the tap to dislodge the ice before refilling it when the frost was bad but the birds were healthy, singing away on the frostiest mornings.

Advertisement