Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sata hard disk??

Options
  • 01-11-2006 6:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭

I just bought a new pc from Ankermann-pc. I cant create a partion that uses the full size of the disk.. it is 250 gb's but it will only partion 130 gb's. I think the computer is set up arse ways. The drive is pluged into the seta 0 port on the Gygabyte p965 s3 motherboard.

When I first installed windows it went fine, except the drive i could not format the entire drive. When I installed the Gygabyte drivers from the cd on the pc after the windows install, it just started to reboot in a loop.

I got seta drivers off the internet for a boot disk so windows will recognise the seta drive.. and during install it gives me 4 options.. 2 are raid with and 2 are ahci, I dont know which to install.. whatever i select I still am presented with the option to partion only 130 gb's of my drive.

Please help!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Your version of Windows is pre-SP1 or SP2 it does not contain the patch to recognise hard drives larger than 128GB.

Windows does not require a driver for SATA hard drives, force installing a driver will only cause problems. Modern chipsets with SATA controllers by default emulate IDE devices so Windows thinks they are regular hard drives.

You only need the driver when you are creating a RAID array.

You need to slipstream the service pack into the CD, this guide will show you how with service pack 2.

Alternate guide.

Or install it as is then install service pack 2 and you can create a partition that will use the rest of the HD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Offalycool

Hi, thank you for your help.. I had to reinstall a few times due to utilities on the cd crashing the system a few times.. Iv got it up n running with a 122 gb's of free space. I must get my hands on a newer version of windows, as this is unacceptable. Still, least I got a game of BF2, fell better about it already... thanks again. Ps.. if anybody has any pointers about this please let me know.

can anybody please tell me the best, or easiest way to create a partion on the unused space on the drive? .. cant slipstream the install, Ive no dvd burner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

You don't need a DVD burner only a CD burner but assuming you don't have one of those either.

After you have installed Windows, install service pack 2.

Now go to the following area;
    Control panel->Administrative tools->Computer Management->Disk Management

You will see the unused space listed right click on it and create an extended partition then a logical drive and format as NTFS it will then mount the partition in My Computer.

Thanks.. Ur the Man :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement