Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Isuzu Trooper - Waste of time?

Options
  • 01-11-2006 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

I'm currently upgrading to a commercial jeep and the Isuzu Trooper came into mind. Am I mad? I've heard they have a sensitive turbo.

Does anyone have any experience/opinions on them?

Looking at a 01 up, SWB, commercial

Any help appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The motor trade are very scared of Troopers, so prices are very low. A lot of the bad name the Trooper has is justified, but there are plenty big-brand off-roaders that give trouble. there was an issue with engine oil mixing with diesel and causing all sorts of problems. I've also heard quite a few stories involving turbos.

How much are they asking for the Trooper?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

colm_mcm wrote:
    The motor trade are very scared of Troopers, so prices are very low. A lot of the bad name the Trooper has is justified, but there are plenty big-brand off-roaders that give trouble. there was an issue with engine oil mixing with diesel and causing all sorts of problems. I've also heard quite a few stories involving turbos.

How much are they asking for the Trooper?

Faulty injector seals - Heard about that alright.... go to turn off yer jeep and she keeps running and revving, pretty scary! :eek:

I've also heard the turbo rumours but i'm after experiences with the jeeps.

I haven't any one particular jeep picked out, just on the prowl for one :)

the funny thing is that they don't have such a bad name in the UK. think there was some issue with recalls not being done in Ireland?

colm_mcm wrote:
    the funny thing is that they don't have such a bad name in the UK. think there was some issue with recalls not being done in Ireland?

Sounds pretty Irish alright :D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

I'm am currently looking for a jeep too. I had the Trooper in mind. 99 or 00. alot of people I've talked to warned me against them for reasons outlined above.
    Pitty really as they nice looking. I think i'll now have to either find extra funds or go back a few years and get a Pajero. I love the Pajeros, but i think their a little over the hill with huge mileage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I've heard that the engines they use are ancient, and very agricultural!

See, here's the problem, everyone's only 'heard' stories etc.... yet I see Troopers every day driving about the place! Might try and find some reviews online somewhere, in the meantime if anyone has any first hand experience...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Ok we have had Isuzu trooper for the last 10 or so years, now moved to a D-Max for the extra seats in the back, there is a problem with the 00/01 model but it has to do with the oil, something wrong with the pumps etc, wat u do is dip the engine, check the oil level and put sellotape or something on it so that if it rises above that you will see it, if this happens then bring to garage for checkup. Simple as that

Never heard of problems with the turbo althou one went in our but that was just from pure dogs abuse the jeeps we have get, used to pull/drive etc over very hard terrain

Also on the 00/01 model the starter can be abit bad, not that it wont work but you could be turning the engine a few more secs than normal to get it to start, especially on a cold morning

Apart from that the are a great jeep, the pulling power is immense and they will drive thru a brick wall. People saying they have a bad name in the trade????? who in the trade told you this seeing as they are one of the most popular Jeeps used for farming and in building trade.

Also the engine is anceint? we used to swap every 2 years until the 00 which we kept for 4 years and every 2 years there was a new engine in them. The D-MAX we have has a brand new engine design in them which you can also slot into an old 00/01 Jeep.

Pajero??? are you taking the urine. Worst jeep ever and has a terrible name, prone to fall over on sharp cornors(Yes I have seen this happen), little or no pulling power, would get stuck in a pot hole.

Edit: actually got first one in 88, Jesus how time flys!! so have plenty of experience in driving them if you want any more info!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭joeblogg1

Okay I have to throw in my moneysworth here in favour of the SSANGYONG REXTON

I have one (04 Reg) . While its not a commercial the engine and gearboox are great and apart from by garage taking a fortnight to replace a glow plug (should be a 2 or 3 day job) I have had no complain with it. Its my first 4 X 4 but wont be my last. Engine and Gearbox are made under licence from Merc and are reliable units

:rolleyes:

Big Nelly - Isuzu are known for their leaky injector seals alright, can be quit edangerous if not fixed once spotted. Cheers for the info!

• Advertisement

JohnCleary wrote:
    Big Nelly - Isuzu are known for their leaky injector seals alright, can be quit edangerous if not fixed once spotted. Cheers for the info!

yeah something along those lines, easiest way a guy was tell me to spot it is to use the method above, prob is other ways. Once you get it checked in time then you wont have a problem.

From my experience the engines are built like tanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Big Nelly wrote:
    Pajero??? are you taking the urine. Worst jeep ever and has a terrible name

Off topic, but "Pajero" means "w4nker" in Spanish :)

Big Nelly wrote:
    yeah something along those lines, easiest way a guy was tell me to spot it is to use the method above, prob is other ways. Once you get it checked in time then you wont have a problem.

From my experience the engines are built like tanks

You won't have a problem but you will have a hefty repair bill

Yakuza wrote:
    Off topic, but "Pajero" means "w4nker" in Spanish :)

Pajero driving a Pajero:p
    You won't have a problem but you will have a hefty repair bill

Dont see how, I get my mate to do all my car repairs and get jeep serviced and cost about 60 for car and 80 for jeep(I buy parts so thats labour). Get a good mechanic and they will all know the engine on the Isuzu and will be able to do repairs on it cheap, if you go to a dealer then a fortune alright

Big Nelly wrote:
    Pajero driving a Pajero:p

Dont see how, I get my mate to do all my car repairs and get jeep serviced and cost about 60 for car and 80 for jeep(I buy parts so thats labour). Get a good mechanic and they will all know the engine on the Isuzu and will be able to do repairs on it cheap, if you go to a dealer then a fortune alright

You're missing the point here. I want to buy a jeep that's not going to give me hassle... not a jeep thats 'cheap to fix'

JohnCleary wrote:
    You're missing the point here. I want to buy a jeep that's not going to give me hassle... not a jeep thats 'cheap to fix'

We had our 00 for 4 years and never had a problem with the oil

It's the 3.0 that gives trouble, the older 3.1 isn't a problem.

I'd recommend a Land Cruiser, but with the money you save by buying a Trooper, you could buy another Trooper for when the first one breaks down.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ballinloughan

Have you looked at Land rover Discoveries - the TD versions?

Have you looked at Land rover Discoveries - the TD versions?

Have you looked at the price of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ballinloughan

• Advertisement

I think it looks damn ugly though... little over my budget too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

I actually think the TD5 Discoverys look nice, especially the 02+ facelift. Had 2 TD5s, never had any trouble. Now have a TDV6 Discovery 3. A friend had a TD5 for 5 years too, with almost 150k miles and was as good as new mechanically when he sold it.

Advertisement