Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A4 brake pads

Options
  • 01-11-2006 6:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭

I have an Audi A4 and the warning lamp on the drivers panel for the front brake pads has come on.
    How many miles should i get before i really need to change them as i have the car booked in for a service in 4 weeks and was wondering should i risk waiting for the service. At the moment there is no noise coming from the brakes. I'm pretty easy on them but i will be driving around dublin.
    If i opt to change them before the service can a normal garage do it or would i have to bring it to a dealer so that the warning lamp is reset.
    What would this likely cost?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

you should be ok for 4 weeks. There is about 3mm left. Go easy though on the brakes in the mean time

the lamp resets when you replace the brake wear sensor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

Your mechanic should be able to do themfor you.Stay away from main dealer.It's a simple job if you're a mechanic and know what your at.I got the rear ones done in my a4.My mechanic had them done in 30 mins and only charged me €20!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Just get the pads replaced ASAP! Don't leave brakes on the long finger. But you should have at least 500 miles depending on your driving style. If the pads wear out you will hear a grinding noise and at that point you will most likely need new discs too - which will cost a lot more. You can get the pads done while you wait at somewhere like Advance Tyres or book it in with a garage or main dealer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

I don't know the brake warning setup on this car, it may be a on-pad sensor or more remote, via the oil level sensor.

pad sensing;
    There is a sensor wire embedded in the pad itself, easy to determine as there is an electrical connection to the brake pad also;

Remote sensing;
    When the brakes wear down, the oil also drops as the pistons extend. When the brakes are near the end, the oil level sensor is triggered. You can shut it off by adding a small drop of oil to raise the level a few mm. Do not fill it.

You might want to check the oil level in the reservoir. Then check the thickness of the pads, 3mm should last 4 weeks with no problem, unless you drive with a foot on the brakes.

Brake pads can last anywhere from 30K to 150K mls, depending on type and useage.

Advertisement