Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Connection Info Requested

Options
  • 01-11-2006 7:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

hey folks, I have been looking into getting Broadband to my house in Drumcondra and its proved a bit of a mine field. I signed up with Digiweb for their 1mb Lite package at 20 euro a month, sounded too good to be true. When they came out to install it, they hadn't got a strong enough signal.
    I've been looking at Irish Broadband and Clearwire recently. Quite like the flexibility of Clearwire but I've heard that some people have had problems. Can anybody suggest a service provider/package to me that they can recommend for a 1/2mb connection.
    Is there any distinct advantage/disadvantage with a wireless connection over cable connections?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

If you don't plan to do any P2P file sharing or VoIP (I may be wrong on the latter), Clearwire will be grand, especially if you can't get DSL. I've actually read lots of positive reports about them as well, in addition to the negative reports. The main bone of contention is that they try to block things like BitTorrent and other P2P file sharing protocols. If you won't be using it for that, I suppose that won't matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Personal experience of Irish Broadband was horrendous, and a friend of mine who still has it would get better speeds and reliability from dial-up.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Is there any distinct advantage/disadvantage with a wireless connection over cable connections?

Yes, wireless tends to be less stable and depending on the provider far too congested.

There are plenty of other options for BB in Drumcondra.

Eircom, BT, Smart, UTV, Imagine, etc. all probably deliver BB via phone line.

NTL do BB over cable TV in many parts of Drumcondra.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

bk wrote:
    wireless tends to be less stable and depending on the provider

Depends VERY much on the provider AND the system used. IBB has three systems. The Ripwave even when NOT congested is slower than Vodaphone 3G. When congested it is slower than Dialup.

Some Wireless systems are comparible to Cable Broadband and ordinary DSL. But faster wireless systems also need good Line Of Site to Mast.

A bundle with line rental, calls and broadband is usually best value, but many cheaper than Eircom, even reselling eircom wholesale. If you use mobile etc and want to save line rental and want multichannel TV, then Cable Broadband can be good.

But for most people in Ireland there is no choice of provider, or even no broadband.

Advertisement