Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A4 - good car second hand?

Options
  • 01-11-2006 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

Hows it going folks,

I'm looking at buying an Audi A4 02/03 in Jan 07..

preferrabley the SE or Sports model 130bhp 1.9TDi

Anyone got anything (good or bad) to say about them?

Also are they worth the extra bobskies over the passat ?

cheers

Daz

ps I'm being quoted around 21k for a 03 with 60k milage + quattro kit + 18" Alloys...Is this reasonable?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'd go for a Passat given you'll get a top-spec model with same engine for 6 grand less.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

I'd also go for the Passat instead, unless you feel the Audi badge is worth something to you in prestige. Otherwise a highline, or sportline with extras is probable better, and undoubtedly better value.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭MR DAZ

cheers for the replys lads....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

MR DAZ wrote:
    18" Alloys
    :eek: 18" alloys may seriously compromise ride quality.

Mrs Wisbone Ash has recently acquired a 2002 A4 1.9TDI 130. No complaints so far from her. I find the drivers area a little cramped but otherwise I enjoy driving it. Very responsive engine - seems to have more poke that my 3 litre diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

try the 6 speed auto 130TDI (jaysus!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

If buying one I recommend either going for an original Irish one with full service history or a UK one that you import yourself with full service history. I wouldn't touch anything that's been imported from the UK by an Irish dealer for sale as the vast majority of them have no service history as they have been clocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

Speaking from experience, the A4 is a drivers car but a little cramped in the driving seat in comparison to the Passat.Its also a better looking car.The 130bhp is the one to go for.That's a good price for a 2003 but remember that it will be a yaer older in 2 months or so.....

You can only get the SE or sport model as an english import.I don't think they were available here as new( I may be open to correction?)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

make sure the timing belt is done or otherwise you're looking at an expensive job (about €1k I hear)

Thats for a new head not replacing the belt! :D

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

mike65 wrote:
    Thats for a new head not replacing the belt! :D

Mike.

Probably wouldn't be far off main dealer prices for the belt. The front bumper has to come off, and probably the radiator too, to gain access.

• Advertisement

What's the recommended milage that the timing belt is done on an A4?

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭MR DAZ

Jasus ...getting more replies than i thought...

As regards the car i'd be buying.... its through a guy i know that takes them over from the Uk and he only takes cars over to order...also they all have a full HPI record from the Uk (at least i think thats what its called)

He fits the bodykit and alloys.....and sprays them

I have heard that the 18" alloys do take away from the driving experiance...but damn they look fine !!

My head is saying go for the passat and save yourself some euro's...but my heart is saying fcuk it ....buy the Audi :)

Anyway its great to get feed back from everyone ...all has been very helpful so far

Cheers

Wishbone Ash I think the offical milage is a whopping 80k but proberly should be done no later than 60. Honestjohn warns of belt breaking after 70k on the 1.8t nothing mentioned for diesel models.

Edit. 1.9TDi belt change at 60k recommended.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭$Leon$

Timing belt on those TDi costs around €600-650 in a main dealer.
    There is a bit of extra labour on them compared to other VW/Audi's because the whole front end has to be removed.
    The €1000 figure quoted above would probably also include a full service at 60k as well. Chances are it might need a fuel filter changed and more than likely one or even both sets of brake pads.
    The 60k service can be very expensive. Maybe up to €1100 (with a main dealer)

mike65 wrote:
    Wishbone Ash I think the offical milage is a whopping 80k but proberly should be done no later than 60. Honestjohn warns of belt breaking after 70k on the 1.8t nothing mentioned for diesel models.

Edit. 1.9TDi belt change at 60k recommended.

Mike.
    $Leon$ wrote:
    Timing belt on those TDi costs around €600-650 in a main dealer.
    There is a bit of extra labour on them compared to other VW/Audi's because the whole front end has to be removed.
    The €1000 figure quoted above would probably also include a full service at 60k as well. Chances are it might need a fuel filter changed and more than likely one or even both sets of brake pads.
    The 60k service can be very expensive. Maybe up to €1100 (with a main dealer)
    Thanks lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'd agree with Mike here. I'd never let any VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda go beyond 60k. I've literally hundreds of VW group cars on fleet and believe me, I've seen many belts snap before the 80k mark!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

I bought a 01 A4 1.9 TDI sport in June and i'm delighted with it. It had 100,000 on the clock, full service history was immac inside with two small marks/dents on the outside. Gave 14,500 for it with the marks and it needed a service and two tires so you could say it cost 15000. Timing belt should be done every 60k and will cost 500-600 depending on the garage.

Lovely comfortable car to drive, looks great, loads of power and very responsive engine, just touch the pedal and your gone. Very good fuel wise too and will hold its resale value. Cannot say enough good things about it really! I would highly recommend it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Ok bro has a 98 Audi A4, I have had a 00 Passat 90Bhp and now on a 02 Passat 130Bhp, which I love, mate bought a Passat at same time but got the Sports Passat with 6 speeds and sports kit, sold it soon after because he heard the value in the Passat was dropping because of the new shape. Bought a 03 Audi A4 130Bhp Sports 5-speed(he always drives in Dublin so never used the 6th gear). He loves the A4 but has to sell it now to pay for bills because opening new business. Can send on details of it if interested. He loved the A4 but when I was talking to him the last day he said next year when he buys a new car(business will be open then) he will go back to the Passat. Said he loved the A4 but found it similiar to the top model Passats. Abit smoother but nothing special.

Myself I will prob buy a 2.0 Tdi Audi next year. Just to try it out for the crack.

If your buying a Passat get an english model, they have so much extras you wont believe me, when I was buying the one I have was getting the 130Bhp model but the Irish model hadnt even got a bloody cd player in it. I was disgusted with it.

Got english model, on board computer, alloys, cd player, climate control, heated seats, cruise control, brand new tyres(Irish ones where wore to sh*t) head rests in back seat, back seats also pop up to turn into a child seat so you dont need a child seat for ages 4-5 up(never seen this before in a car and even the dealer had never seen it). Ended up doing a deal and got it for better price than Irish model was been sold at. Car is flying and the power is great from the 130 horses instead of the 90.

The passats and Audi will go and go and go, bro has 150k on his now and still flying. He is going to buy an english 04 next year as well to upgrade but keep the 98 till it falls apart more or less. I will give it another 5 years because we service properly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭aoife2k

wow, I'm soooooo glad you asked that question Mr.Daz. As a 21yr old u may think 'what the hell would a girl want with that' but i'm passionate about the car I drive. I'm in the process of tryin to get the A4 I want (the same kind as urself) but I've a Corolla at the mo and just won't be able to raise the cash from the sale of that alone so i'll have to save for a while :(

Cheers to all the dudes/dudettes who replied cuz u've helped me a lot too!
    I love motors on Boards.ie :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I had an 04 130bhp TDI A4(bought new) the most noticeable thing about it was how well everything was put together.

In the 2 years I had it there wasn't a single squeak rattle or clunk out of it.

Swift and miserly on diesel, 50+ to the gallon no problem.

Seven Worlds will Collide

Advertisement